What is your Kryptonite?

LavaCake

The Nameless!!

No really, I do not know how to call it - it is this thing that makes you get lossed in small missions or building afterwards useless infrastructure and only lets you get to a Duna landing at most.

"Before building something that big we will need a space station first to transfer the crew" - no, we do not, but I end up doing it anyway every time!

And then a new update drops and I restart my career for reasons.

The farthest one of my saves went was in 23.5. - a manned mission to all Jool moons and a Jool probe that managed to sling to Eeloo and burn its ion engine for a passable orbit, plus an Ike landing and probes to the surfaces of Eve and Moho.

It might look like more than I say it is, but somehow it feels incomplete to me without manned landings everywhere and without at least a probe flyby of Dres even.

(Thinking that I at least dropped Kerbals onto Eve in the .20 (?) demo just over two years ago ... :P )

Moho.

Never been able to transfer to it for anything close to the dV cost the maps indicate, I've blazed through its SoI with the engine burning the whole time and couldn't capture, I've stranded Jeb there and the "rescue" mission didn't have enough dV to return, etc, etc. Seems like Moho has it in for me.

For me, SSTOs (never have been able to do one in any version) and large ships destroying my framerate :P

Moho.

Never been able to transfer to it for anything close to the dV cost the maps indicate, I've blazed through its SoI with the engine burning the whole time and couldn't capture, I've stranded Jeb there and the "rescue" mission didn't have enough dV to return, etc, etc. Seems like Moho has it in for me.

Keep the faith ! Moho used to be my nemesis until I finally conquered it a couple weeks ago, and succesfully brang the crew back to Kerbin, with a 730t rocket at launch :cool:

Tinkering.

I often start the game with the intention of just slapping something together for a relatively simple task and then just flying that mission, but instead I end up spending hours in the VAB/SPH designing and redesigning the ship, with periodic reverted test flights. Then I look up at the clock and see it's way past bedtime and I haven't yet done what I set out to do.

1. Time

2. Avionics in RP-0. I love RP-0 but when you've entered orbit and are about to make final corrections to insert into your target orbit and a window pops up that says: "Avionics not enough. Avionics on-board: 400kg, needed: 500kg, I get really tired.

Tinkering.

I often start the game with the intention of just slapping something together for a relatively simple task and then just flying that mission, but instead I end up spending hours in the VAB/SPH designing and redesigning the ship, with periodic reverted test flights. Then I look up at the clock and see it's way past bedtime and I haven't yet done what I set out to do.

Exactly my problem

meh... partcount, time, crazy ideas, cold coffee, to many active kerbals around (32 Now?), i really dont know anymore whats going on. And crazy contracts like the Stock "Minmus 4 challenge" iirc the Name... weird. KSP endgame is Nuts.

The new heating system being all buggy... spending an hour and a half designing a lander for the Mun just to have parts randomly explode from overheating on the launch pad before I even launch. Gets pretty discouraging after a while.

Tinkering.

I'm guilty of this as well. Most of the time my rockets end up being ridiculously over-engineered. It's great for safety and capabilities, but very bad for my career bank account.

Nothing really in-game flummoxes me these days. However, probably as a direct side-effect, now I can't stand to watch most KSP videos and streams. Scott Manley is one of the few who I can tolerate, since he's at least somewhat close to my skill level. But trying to watch someone like Nerd3 or the like is just intolerable since they never seem to learn any lessons from their mistakes.

-Unable to rendezvous ( I just use Hyperedit after completing orbit.)

-Has not left the Kerbin Planetary System

-Still learning to Imgur.

-Landing a base module? Easy.

-Creating a base on the Mun, with space physics and no KIS? (as of now.) Extremely Hard!!

Hmmm, I forgot what really kills me. Fire calls. I sit here playing KSP on my days off (when I'm still on-call) and no soon do I get into the middle of doing the transfer burns for a flotilla, or am trying to land something, or something else requiring acute attention, and suddenly "It's a Quarter After One and My Knee Hurts Now" :(

-That moment when you get your satellite into the target orbit and realize its orbiting in the wrong direction.

I just assumed my satellite's orbit didn't match the target orbit closely enough so I spent I don't know how long trying to fine-tune it before realizing it was backwards.

The Mun, aka 'the grey sphere of Kerbally Doom". Still can;t reliably soft-land on it. I think half the problem is that there don;t appear to be any equivalents of the lunar maria, ie: reasonably flat bits you can try landing on to get used to teh gravity. Every darned where I try to land it always seems to be a twenty to thirty degree slope, which makes it very frustrating trying to learn how to land on it, as you;ve the double challenge of the slope as well as the gravity to contend with in vacuo, so no parachutes.

Sigh...

I feel my kryptonite is the 4gigram limit with the 32bit version. Using many mods. For me the most importandaspect are the visuals. never have tried to get the 64bit win version to run. just have the feeling squad doent have the resources for coding that besides 32bit, stable. but i totaly could be wrong.

Building to way too tight of margins.

Making things hard in the VAB when the mission plans for doing them multiple (read: dozens of) times, usually to save a kg or 2 of mass.

Not putting RCS or batteries or enough solar panels on, because "I can handle it" and - again - to shave off a few pesky kg of mass.

tl;dr, I'm my own kryptonite :)

For me, my greatest weaknesses are precision atmospheric landings and SSTOs. I used to be able to make a decent LKO SSTO with some cargo capacity but lately with all the aero changes and whatnot it's just been difficult. I also have a bad habit of over-engineering spacecraft and usually have to scrap a project half-way through and rebuild from scratch since its becoming too much of a monstrosity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.