Sigma Binary

Sigma88

WHOO! Binaries!

So, will the template include just the actual template and the insert planet name here or what?

Love the idea for such an amazing mod (this will make binaries so much easier)!

This kinda gives me a question though, how will SOIs work after the installation of this mod?

This is exciting. I hope it will include a default config for Duna and Ike?

well of course it does :)

Wow, looks awesome. Can't wait to see where the barycentre for Eve-Gilly is.:sticktongue:

This I haven't tried. Let me know how it turns out :)

WHOO! Binaries!

So, will the template include just the actual template and the insert planet name here or what?

More or less yes, feel free to read through the cfg if you are interested

Love the idea for such an amazing mod (this will make binaries so much easier)!

This kinda gives me a question though, how will SOIs work after the installation of this mod?

SOIs will be calculated by KSP as it always does. this means that stuff orbiting the barycenter (before entering the bodies SOIs) will have slower orbits than what you would expect. Sadly this is a limitation I wans't able to overcome.

I have to say tho that it doesn't ruin the experience at all.

this issue was solved :D

Edited by Sigma88

I have a question, are the stock binary orbits required, or can you delete them without harm?

(I don't really need the Stock planets to be under the binary influence, just some of the planets that I create)

I have a question, are the stock binary orbits required, or can you delete them without harm?

(I don't really need the Stock planets to be under the binary influence, just some of the planets that I create)

The stock fix doesn't add barycenters to stock planets.

it's there because in a normal kopernicus install the values of mass and orbit are not loaded into @kopernicus

But my mod needs that information to work with stock planets.

bottom line, you can delete the file. But you shouldn't need to :)

Be careful that the EXAMPLE_DunaIke.cfg will turn Duna and Ike into a binary system.

If you just want to add the binary feature to your system, use the file template.cfg (that's all you need)

and you can put it anywhere inside GameData. I guess you have a personal folder in there. That will be ok.

Yeah, there are issues with the Duna-Ike barycenter.

I get ejected from the system when I reach 1500km above Duna and I can't even reach Ike.

I'll take a look, there may be still some issue to iron out :)

yup, already tried :)

the mun is too light

you can set an higher mass for the mun tho ;)

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
@Body[Mun]
{
@Properties
{
mass = something_appropriate
}
}
}

PS: KSP-AVC compatibility added to the mod

Edited by Sigma88

A little Update on things:

I've managed to solve 2 problems with one simple change:

Yeah, there are issues with the Duna-Ike barycenter.

I get ejected from the system when I reach 1500km above Duna and I can't even reach Ike.

In the next release crafts should cross SoI safely

stuff orbiting the barycenter (before entering the bodies SOIs) will have slower orbits than what you would expect. Sadly this is a limitation I wans't able to overcome.

I've managed to find a solution to this problem as well. If everything works as I intend it to.

Your craft should skip the barycenter SoI and enter directly into the Primary body's SoI.

This way all orbits will be in perfect KSP Style.

Sadly, this is still a theory since I need a feature which is not implemented yet in kopernicus.

As soon as kopernicus adds this feature I'll test my theory and release the result.

Good News

You can set the SOI with sphereOfInfluence = value in the Properties { } node. However, the setting is not persistent at the moment. It will come with 0.2.

List of Fixes coming in the next release of SigmaBinary:

- No more MM errors (currently the calculation of flightglobalindex for barycenters sometimes gives MM error)
- Better calculation of SoIs
- Probes will cross directly from the external SoI to the planet's SoI, never entering the Barycenter SoI
- Probes will be able to cross SoIs without problems
- put a limit on how big the moon's SoI can get
(will not reach the surface of the planet by default, users will be able to change that tho)
- Orbit calculation fix: if the chosen moon is on an inclined orbit, the final system will be on that same plane
- coding fix: fixed some errors in the code (missing @s, #s and stuff like that)
- fixed the calculations for the rotationPeriod in case the original planet was tidally locked

Bugs to iron out:

- rotation of planets rotating around a barycenter gets messed up (even tho the rotationPeriod is set correctly)

Edited by Sigma88

I got a ModuleManager error related to the template. Everything looked fine when I loaded a game, so no worries. Also, the barycenter for the Duna-Ike template is near where the Kerbin-Mun one would be. One last thing, I'm pretty sure making Duna and Ike tidally locked to each other kills the libration, but that's what I expected. Anyway, great mod!

I got a ModuleManager error related to the template. Everything looked fine when I loaded a game, so no worries.

You are right, I forgot to mention that.

It's because there's a line of code that tries to set the flightglobalindex of the barycenter to equal "flightglobalidex of the planet minus 1" but since stock bodies don't have a flightglobalindex value, MM will give an error. this is solved as well in the next release (I've added this to my previous post)

Also, the barycenter for the Duna-Ike template is near where the Kerbin-Mun one would be.

the position of the barycenter is calculated using the masses of the two bodies and their distance, I too was surprised to see that the barycenter is inside duna. But I checked and re-checked the math, and everything turns out to be correct.

One last thing, I'm pretty sure making Duna and Ike tidally locked to each other kills the libration, but that's what I expected. Anyway, great mod!

yes, that will avoid the problem. But I want to find a solution that preserves the original rotation period of the planet.

happy to hear you like the mod. It's still very buggy right now, but the next release will be a great improvement.

I hope we don't have to wait too much for kopernicus 0.2, since every fix will work only in that version

You don't need to set a flightGlobalsIndex anymore. Kopernicus creates / overwrites them after the PSystemManager spawned the edited prefab, so it's nonsensical to define them. ;) This has been implemented in 0.0.6, if I remember correctly

when making the barycenter for my pluron-khato binary I noticed that the hyperedit "button" for selecting the barycenter was listed just after Jool

since I use Jool as a template I assumed that there was something telling KSP the barycenter should be listed after jool

I tried adding a flightglobalindex to the barycenter and that solved the "problem"

I'll send you some pics as soon as I get my hands on my ksp pc

This is so ....in' awesome Sigma! Will use it in my future KerbalLightVisuakEnhancements, which will add clouds, a few new planets, hight-res textures for all of the stock planets, new textures for stock parts, new parts, telescopes, making Kerbol's color white from orbit, Planet Shyne and Distant Object Enhancement, all using a single plugin: Kopernicus. Cheers! So far I only have completed stock clouds, a dwarf planet near Dres, and hight res textures for stock planets. With SigmaBarycenters I will also be able to make the solar system a little more realistic. Cheers!

Oh, and one question: would it be possible to aply barycenters for planets with more then one moons?

Oh, and one question: would it be possible to aply barycenters for planets with more then one moons?

Glad you like it!

For the barycenters on planets with multiple moons, It depends on what you have in mind.

If we are talking Pluto and it's 5 moons (or something similar) I think it should work more than fine.

Oh, and btw....

Sigma Binary[v0.1] is now available

Download

[Dropbox] (Kerbal Stuff link coming soon)

ChangeLog

[TABLE=width: 700]

[TR]

[TD]

[B]v0.1.0[/B]
- Fixed the calculation of:
Sphere Of Influence
Planet rotationPeriod
Orbital Parameters
- Added "[I]baryCenter = true[/I]" parameter to barycenters
- Removed calculation of "[I]flightGlobalIndex[/I]" since it's useless

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Is the Duna-Ike example supposed to be a cfg file? For me it's a text document since 0.1.0.

whoops, pardon.

Fixed it

(anyway the example is not really necessary. It's just there to make it clear how the template.cfg should be used)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.