Sigma Binary

Sigma88

I have a question, can you add planets around the barycenters? Also, I am considering on making a multi-star system that has more than 3 stars - is that possible with this mod?

This post may not seem a good answer at first, but bear with me. It all makes sense at the end :D

The purpose of this mod is simple:

some gamers absolutely want barycenters, some other gamers hate barycenters. So every choice you make seems to be the wrong one.

With this mod you have an easy way out:

design your system to work fine with stock mechanics (so gamers who hate barycenters are happy)

but at the same time, add compatibility with SigmaBarycenter so gamers who love barycenters are happy as well.

Now, regarding the actual questions:

yes you can add planets to barycenters, make your planet like always (in @Kopernicus:FINAL) then use the following code to move it around a barycenter

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[Squad]
{
@Body[[COLOR=#00ff00][B]NewPlanet[/B][/COLOR]]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = [B][COLOR=#00ff00]barycentername[/COLOR][/B]
}
}
}

where

NewPlanet is the name of the planet you want to move in orbit around the barycenter

and

barycentername is the name of the barycenter, which my mod creates by putting together the names of the two main bodies (example: YogSawob )

Disclaimer: keep in mind that I've never tried this so, even if the planets will show up in the correct place I don't really know if going there with probes will have any problem

yes it is possible, but have some limitation.

the template.cfg only handles binaries. you can bypass this by nesting binary systems one inside the other (like in the example linked in the first post)

but if you are sure you want to get binary systems (and don't support the possibility of having "no-barycenters") then maybe it would be easier for you to just use the kopernicus feature barycenter and don't bother with the limitations of my mod

anyways, if you need any kind of support from my part, don't esitate to ask. both here and by PM

Kerbal Construction Time, Contract Configurator, and Science Alert all have major bugs with this. Its a WIP, I know, but it broke my save and I had to load from quicksave, so you should probably post a warning.

Great work, as expected! I had no chance to test yet, but I wonder: Do the orbital speeds really work out (as in: the line between M1 and M2 always goes through the barycenter)?

yes

I should have considered all situations, of course there's always the possibility of some writing error on my part.

But the base principle should be correct.

the orbital speed is tweaked by adjusting the mass of the barycenter. you can find the code in the "template.cfg"

I've tested with some limit situations (high eccentricity/inclination) and everything seemed fine.

If anyone has encountered the same bugs as loki please describe what's happening so I know what I'm looking for. :)

yes

Niice. Because it seemed to me that using a central mass for your barycenter that planets orbit around would lead to planets orbiting the barycenter further away having a lower orbital velocity, as opposed to this. If you solved that my understanding must have been incorrect somewhere, which is good because binaries are awesome :P

Niice. Because it seemed to me that using a central mass for your barycenter that planets orbit around would lead to planets orbiting the barycenter further away having a lower orbital velocity, as opposed to this. If you solved that my understanding must have been incorrect somewhere, which is good because binaries are awesome :P

You are completely right. KSP doesn't allow for two bodies to orbit the same parent body at the same Orbital speed but different SMA.

I solved this by making M1 orbit the barycenter and M2 orbit M1

then I tweak the mass of the barycenter so that the orbital period of M1 is equal to the orbital period of M2

easy peasy ;)

I'll check on that. Which kind of bugs did you encounter?

Sorry for the save break

KCT showed a warning saying it couldn't recover some information, Science Alert didn't show up at all, Contract Configurator showed a warning that I didn't quite understand, but seemed to relate to references to celestial bodies. I'm not sure if this was due to these mods or stock, but the save reset to day 0, removed several (but not all) spacecraft, and the OPM planets disappeared. I can get a screenshot of the error messages if you want.

I'll try to reproduce it on my own, If I hit any wall I'll pm you (if that's ok)

does the installation of those mods require anything weird?

-edit-

just to be clear,

from my mod, you installed only the content of the "GameData" folder right?

or did you add the duna-ike example?

Edited by Sigma88

Sciencealert and KCT are both standalone, throw-into-gamedata-and-play mods. Contract Configurator allows other modders to make contract packs, so it's not clear if the error is from the mod itself or one of the packs.

And yes, just the gamedata folder, for use with your OPM expansion.

ah, so you have also the pluron-khato OPM expansion?

there was a stupid error on my part in the last release of Pluron-Khato. could you try downloading the current files from Kerbal stuff (both OPM expansion and sigmabinary), maybe the problem was related to the Pluron-Khato issue.

If the bug persists, it may mean that those mods are not confortable with the way I do barycenters, I'll need to check if there's a way to exclude planets from those mods.

I am intrigued. Mind explaining how you did that with KSP? Those configs of yours are going to be really, really awesome once we get reliable multiple star systems, to think of all the interesting transfers possible with such orbits :o

I am intrigued. Mind explaining how you did that with KSP? Those configs of yours are going to be really, really awesome once we get reliable multiple star systems, to think of all the interesting transfers possible with such orbits :o

that system isn't really safe to fly into yet.

Sphere of Influence of the various bodies are not set up, so probably your ship will wizz off at the speed of light or something like that.

I don't even know if it will ever be possible to fly into that thing.

as for HOW, let's just say that a system like that requires a little bit more than 1 barycenter :D

PS:

this is a very complex config so I doubt it will be released as a template.

I'm currently thinking on how to do the Option 4 of the poll,

and maybe a triple star system like that one can find it's place in the same galactic arm as kerbin :)

Edited by Sigma88

for everybody interested in Option #4 from the Poll:

I've opened a thread for that project, it's still in a very early development so don't expect downloads any time soon

But feedback is always welcome

Sigma Binary[v0.2.2] is now available

Download

[TABLE=width: 100]

[TR]

[TD]

2I2mqzY.png

@KERBALSTUFF

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

ChangeLog

[TABLE=width: 700]

[TR]

[TD]

[B]v0.2.2[/B]
- added code to calculate [B]mass[/B] from [B]gravParameter [/B]if both [B]mass[/B] and [B]geeASL [/B]are not set
- changed the value of [B]G [/B](universal gravitational constant) from [B]6.67384e-11 [/B]to [B]6.674e-11[/B]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Sigma88

Sigma Binary[v0.2.3] is now available

Download

[TABLE=width: 100]

[TR]

[TD]

2I2mqzY.png

@KERBALSTUFF

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

ChangeLog

[TABLE=width: 700]

[TR]

[TD]

[B]v0.2.3[/B]
- changed the calculation of sphereOfInfluence for every body in the binary system
- added a check to make sure the SoI of the secondary body never reaches the primary's surface

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Question, because I am currently building my house/ksp sim pit and don't have time to load up ksp play. What does ksp do if you position your craft into the barycenter of two bodies? Also, is it possible to use this to add the binary system behavior to multiple sets of planets/moons in the game?

Basically I want to know if it would be possible to use this to add the binary behaviour to all of the planets and moons of the stock kerbin system. Will there be a default stock system .cfg on the roadmap of the dev of this mod? I want to play ksp with more navigational challenge when I finally start a modded post .90 save. I think that this + artificial axial tilt (via inclining the entire solar system with hyper-edit) would be loads of fun. Anyway, thanks!

First, I'm not sure using this mod will work on 0.90.0.

Second, I tried putting a craft in orbit around the BaryCenter, and it fell to the body that was the largest.

Third, you can actually make module manager configs that can change the orbital orientation (pretty much everything about the orbital properties), but it does require Kopernicus.

You should, when your Sim pit is finished, update to the newest version of KSP.

I have vanilla 1.0.4 installed, I've gone for a few short mun-landings turned mun-punches. I just haven't bothered installing any mods because I don't have the time to keep them updated, let alone play.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.