Sigma Binary

Sigma88

The contract was just to point the antenna at that body/barycentre. Could it have been that the body, in this case Duna, being in the way and covering line-of-site of the Barycentre as it resides inside Duna and therefore blocking coverage? I appreciate that this is a RemoteTech and contract module issue also but I felt that it was best discussed here as the binary system feature was raising the issue.

Poodmund said:
The contract was just to point the antenna at that body/barycentre. Could it have been that the body, in this case Duna, being in the way and covering line-of-site of the Barycentre as it resides inside Duna and therefore blocking coverage? I appreciate that this is a RemoteTech and contract module issue also but I felt that it was best discussed here as the binary system feature was raising the issue.

yeah feel free to report all the issues :)

I need to know about them :wink:

anyway, in Duna-Ike case you are right. the barycenter sits inside Duna. that may be an issue. but I don't know how that contract checks for "coverage" and you will probably need to ask the guy who made the contract.

In Pluron-Khato's case the barycenter is between the two planets, so if you can get that contract completed it may be a good sign.

If you can't complete neither the contract to scan pluronkhato, then it may mean that the issue goes beyond the position of the barycenter inside/outside the planet.

Edited by Sigma88

I doubt there's anything that can be done by Sigma for the contract issue. The intention for those contracts was never to have them available for a barycenter (which wasn't even a thing in KSP when they were written). So I think I can do a few checks in Contract Configurator to make it work better with Sigma Binary (raised #317). First, can you confirm that a typical binary system will look like this (sounds like it from the descriptions)?

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Consolas]Sun
[/FONT][/COLOR] \- DunaIke
|- Duna
\- Ike

So what I'll do is eliminate anything that has a radius less than say 5m from the lists of celestial bodies that Contract Configurator uses. I'll also need to do some magic to decide what to define as a "Planet" vs. "Moon" for the children of the barycenter. I'll probably just make the most massive one the planet, and everything else a moon (although I can probably support co-planetary systems too).

Oh, and for RemoteTech specifically - it has an occlusion check. So it is most likely considering Duna as occluding DunaIke. So there's no way to get coverage no matter what you do. ;)

I doubt there's anything that can be done by Sigma for the contract issue. The intention for those contracts was never to have them available for a barycenter (which wasn't even a thing in KSP when they were written). So I think I can do a few checks in Contract Configurator to make it work better with Sigma Binary (raised #317). First, can you confirm that a typical binary system will look like this (sounds like it from the descriptions)?

[/FONT][/COLOR] \- DunaIke
|- Duna
\- Ike

So what I'll do is eliminate anything that has a radius less than say 5m from the lists of celestial bodies that Contract Configurator uses. I'll also need to do some magic to decide what to define as a "Planet" vs. "Moon" for the children of the barycenter. I'll probably just make the most massive one the planet, and everything else a moon (although I can probably support co-planetary systems too).

Oh, and for RemoteTech specifically - it has an occlusion check. So it is most likely considering Duna as occluding DunaIke. So there's no way to get coverage no matter what you do. ;)

it's even easier than that :)

it's like this

[/FONT][/COLOR]\- DunaIke
\- Duna
\- Ike

so basically the "planet" orbits the barycenter and the "moon" orbits the planet

it's even easier than that :)

it's like this

[/FONT][/COLOR]\- DunaIke
\- Duna
\- Ike

so basically the "planet" orbits the barycenter and the "moon" orbits the planet

Oh, I see... that would make it easier for the players to do transfers to moons, too. :)

Oh, I see... that would make it easier for the players to do transfers to moons, too. :)

yeah, having both orbiting the barycenter is not technically impossible, but it has so many limitation that most of the times the only practical solution is the one I'm using in SigmaBinary.

The 5m trick would work perfectly fine with every barycenter that is created by this mod. As well as with all the barycenters in my other mod (Galactic Neighborhood).

It seems like this may be the case, I am glad that I have raised a pertinent issue... even if I can't help with the solution. :sticktongue: If I can get some spare time over the next few days I will test with Pluron-Khato and see if it works. The hardest part I expect will be getting the contract to generate; will probably just edit the persistent save file to get the contract to be honest.

even if I can't help with the solution. :sticktongue:

believe me, reporting an issue helps a great deal in the solving process. It's almost impossible to test out all the possible bugs, and having them served on a silver plate is always welcome :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sigma Binary[v1.1.0] is now available

Download mirror was moved from KerbalStuff to GitHub.

The mod folder was renamed. Make sure you remove the old folder before installing the new version.

Special thanks to:

- Thomas P. for allowing me to get full RSS compatibility

- nightingale for adding SigmaBinary compatibility to Contract Configurator

Download

Latest%20Release-%40GitHub-blue.svg

dev.version-%40GitHub-lightgrey.svg

ChangeLog

[TABLE=width: 700]

[TR]

[TD]

[B]v1.1.0[/B]

- Requires Kopernicus Beta 0.4
- Refined RSS compatibility
- Added compatibility with finalizeOrbits
- Removed useless code from StockFix.cfg
- Fixed tidal lock issue in StockFix.cfg
- Increased barycenters radius to 61m to solve a Tracking Station Bug
- Renamed the folder from "BinaryExpansion" to "Binary"

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Sigma88

I've been trying to use your fantastic SigmaBinary mod to make a fully featured Pluto system with all of its moons in RSS. The Pluto-Charon bit works beautifully with just the template.cfg. However, when I try to add the other 4 moons I cannot get them to appear. I am adding them directly to RSSKopernicus.cfg and set the referencebody = PlutoCharon, their orbits appear, but the moons themselves do not. MM is not throwing any errors that I am aware of. Do you have any ideas of where I am going wrong?

Additionally I wanted to try and implement the Earth-Moon barycenter in RSS so that the earth wobbles. Whenever I set the major and minor body as Earth and Moon in the template.cfg, MM throws errors. Is this not possible to implement atm or am I messing something up?

Oh and I am using your new v1.1.0 as well

I've been trying to use your fantastic SigmaBinary mod to make a fully featured Pluto system with all of its moons in RSS. The Pluto-Charon bit works beautifully with just the template.cfg. However, when I try to add the other 4 moons I cannot get them to appear. I am adding them directly to RSSKopernicus.cfg and set the referencebody = PlutoCharon, their orbits appear, but the moons themselves do not. MM is not throwing any errors that I am aware of. Do you have any ideas of where I am going wrong?

try to check these things and let me know what happens:

1- put the moons in orbit around Pluto rather than the barycenter

2- try to load KSP without SigmaBinary

3- if the moons load fine, add SigmaBinary and start KSP

Additionally I wanted to try and implement the Earth-Moon barycenter in RSS so that the earth wobbles. Whenever I set the major and minor body as Earth and Moon in the template.cfg, MM throws errors. Is this not possible to implement atm or am I messing something up?

Oh and I am using your new v1.1.0 as well

Earth is not the name of the Body, you should use Kerbin instead.

keep in mind that reparenting kerbin will give rise to some kopernicus bugs. nothing gameplay breaking. but still they might annoy you.

Just want to report that this seems to be having difficulties with KScale2. After installing Sigma Binary v1.1.0, all planets have reduced gravity (seems to be 1/4th).

Any idea if this can be fixed? I really want a Duna-Ike binary. (Great mod though!)

checking this right now

-edit-

for what I can read in the config file, KScale2 changes only the radius of the bodies, not their mass.

this will result in gravity at surface level drop to 1/4th ( geeASL = Gm/r^2)

do the bodies have the correct gravity without SigmaBinary?

If yes, I'll add a KScale2 compatibility cfg

thank you both for the feedback

Edited by Sigma88

Hi,

I got this mod yesterday and I have been working on Kopernicus all day with it. I'm pretty happy with my hexternary-or-whatever-its-called system. Its basically a massive gas giant, two gas giants in a binary, and three gas dwarfs orbiting each other barycentre. And yes, it is complicated and the names I think aren't that great.

Before you ask, I have no intention of creating a mod from this.

http://imgur.com/a/Mmogf

And yet I fly in and get shot out by the SOI changes...

Edited by RA3236

Ok so I tried your suggestions, when using Kerbin-Moon-Sun in the template the barycenter works great and the earth "wobbles". Additionally after doing a clean install the additional moons of pluto appeared around Pluto with the pluto-charon-sun barycenter enabled.

There are however, some issues. I don't know if they stem from SigmaBinary, from Kopernicus or just the limitations of KSP but I thought I'd report back on whats going on.

1) At the main menu Earth is no longer visible, its just the skybox (I believe this is just a camera issue, it is now looking at the EarthMoon barycenter and not at the planet itself.)

2) There is no longer a day night cycle over the KSC, if I time warp the sun will just hang in the sky. The "warp to next morning" functions normally but does not change the position of the sun. However, if I time warp in the tracking station view to a different time of day, that change is reflected when I go back to the KSC. For example, start a game, its night time, time warp to next morning, no change, still looks like midnight. Go to tracking station view, and the day/night terminator has just passed florida, go back to KSC and when it re-renders everything it is now morning. Timewarp some more, but the sun doesn't move.

3) When I go to the launchpad, I am greeted by a black screen (gui is still present) and it says I'm going NaN m/s (Altitude still 104m), when I try to revert launch back to the launchpad, the game crashes entirely.

4) The orbits of the smaller body in the barycenter still orbits the larger body rather than the barycenter, causing their orbit to "wobble" with the larger one. The moons that I added to pluto do the same as well, orbiting pluto rather than the barycenter. I don't know if this is whats supposed to happen because of limitations with KSP or something is bugging out.

5) When I try to Hyper Edit a craft around pluto or one of its moons, even at very small or large distances the screen goes black and I have a speed of NaN m/s, or occasionally the game crashes entirely.

I'm using SigmaBinary 1.1.1, RSS 10.2, Kopernicus 0.4 on x64 Linux if that matters at all.

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback you have, I hope mine is useful in some way.

Sisyphus:

1) Make a module manager config file that loads after both RSS and SB, and type %mainMenuBody = Kerbin outside of the body syntax but inside the curly brackets so:

... (Put the moduleManager stuff here)
{
%mainMenuBody = Kerbin
}
... (do what you want after this)

2) Don't know whats wrong, but it might be that Kerbin (Earth) is now orbiting a barycentre rather then the sun.

3) Kraken - Okay, I don't know...

4) That's normal, as far as I know the smaller one does not change parenthood (Change me if I'm wrong)

5) HyperEdit + Kraken. HyperEdit has a few issues so try not to do that unless you know what you're doing

Change me if I'm wrong, I have been working all weekend on my six giant system and I have pretty much experienced everything that is not RSS. As for HyperEdit, I already noticed...

Ok so I tried your suggestions, when using Kerbin-Moon-Sun in the template the barycenter works great and the earth "wobbles". Additionally after doing a clean install the additional moons of pluto appeared around Pluto with the pluto-charon-sun barycenter enabled.

There are however, some issues. I don't know if they stem from SigmaBinary, from Kopernicus or just the limitations of KSP but I thought I'd report back on whats going on.

1) At the main menu Earth is no longer visible, its just the skybox (I believe this is just a camera issue, it is now looking at the EarthMoon barycenter and not at the planet itself.)

I'm not sure about this one, you could try adding a cfg in the gamedata folder containing the following lines.

But I can't assure you it'll work.

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
%mainMenuBody = Kerbin
}

2) There is no longer a day night cycle over the KSC, if I time warp the sun will just hang in the sky. The "warp to next morning" functions normally but does not change the position of the sun. However, if I time warp in the tracking station view to a different time of day, that change is reflected when I go back to the KSC. For example, start a game, its night time, time warp to next morning, no change, still looks like midnight. Go to tracking station view, and the day/night terminator has just passed florida, go back to KSC and when it re-renders everything it is now morning. Timewarp some more, but the sun doesn't move.

3) When I go to the launchpad, I am greeted by a black screen (gui is still present) and it says I'm going NaN m/s (Altitude still 104m), when I try to revert launch back to the launchpad, the game crashes entirely.

These are Kopernicus known bugs. they happen when reparenting kerbin.

#2 is just an aestetic bug, doesn't hinder gameplay. #3 can be avoided by launching directly from the VAB/SPH instead of clicking on the launchpad/runway from the KSC view

4) The orbits of the smaller body in the barycenter still orbits the larger body rather than the barycenter, causing their orbit to "wobble" with the larger one. The moons that I added to pluto do the same as well, orbiting pluto rather than the barycenter. I don't know if this is whats supposed to happen because of limitations with KSP or something is bugging out.

this is intended. for KSP limitations the moons need to be in orbit around the biggest body rather than in orbit around the barycenter. this is to give them a better rotation period.

5) When I try to Hyper Edit a craft around pluto or one of its moons, even at very small or large distances the screen goes black and I have a speed of NaN m/s, or occasionally the game crashes entirely.

I'm using SigmaBinary 1.1.1, RSS 10.2, Kopernicus 0.4 on x64 Linux if that matters at all.

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback you have, I hope mine is useful in some way.

Hyper Editing stuff around planets in binary systems is tricky.

In this specific case, Kerbin's Sphere of influence is bigger than the barycenter's.

this is intended to make "normal travel" easy. but if you try to hyperedit something covered by kerbins SoI, but not by the barycenter's SoI, that may cause problems.

I'm not sure all those NaN problems are coming from. but this could be one of the issues.

try launching from the VAB/SPH and hyperediting stuff not to far from the planet

I'm not sure all those NaN problems are coming from. but this could be one of the issues.

try launching from the VAB/SPH and hyperediting stuff not to far from the planet

Hyper Edit can't really calculate SOI changes in the game, so it pretty much just puts you into a orbit around the body you specified - this crashes the game. Which is why I go Alt-F12 Infinite fuel and launch a rocket to get there without worrying about fuel. Actually, now thinking about it... HyperEdit has a few issues with RemoteTech, which is recommended for RSS. It could be the cause of the NaN part of the problem - reinforced with the Kraken (but I don't know which one).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.