Sigma Binary

Sigma88

So, I have had some time to test this mod in KSP 1.1.3 using Kopernicus 1.1.2 and everything seems to be working fine

I will leave everybody a couple of days to report eventual bugs, otherwise I will "bump" this to be officially compatible with KSP 1.1.3

Sigma Binary v1.5.5

updated to the new KSP and Kopernicus, plus a small fix to orbit colors

all the links are available in the OP

If you want to follow the development of my mods:  Sigma88Mods&style=social

If you want to buy me a cup of coffee:  iSFDI5f.png r8916yD.png

Changelog:

v1.5.5

- Updated to KSP 1.1.3 and Kopernicus 1.1.2
- Fixed custom orbit color loading for barycenters
Edited by Sigma88

• 2 weeks later...

@Sigma88 I have a few questions regarding the new Sigma Binary config setup:

1. What is mode?
  2. What is the icon?
  3. What do I have to put for name? What is the purpose of name if the secondary is already given?
  4. Can low-mass stars and high-mass planets be put into binary systems?

8 minutes ago, munxx said:

Hi Sigma88,

1.5.5 is not showing in ckan - still on 1.5.4

Has probably something to to with netcan. Can you look into this?

Thanks

I've removed my mods from ckan.

I am busy irl at the moment and have very little time to spare for KSP, I was planning to re-add ckan compatibility but there are some things I need to do before that, and I simply don't have the time right now.

On 7/13/2016 at 5:24 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

@Sigma88 I have a few questions regarding the new Sigma Binary config setup:

1. What is mode?
  2. What is the icon?
  3. What do I have to put for name? What is the purpose of name if the secondary is already given?
  4. Can low-mass stars and high-mass planets be put into binary systems?

1. Kopernicus stuff
2. Kopernicus stuff

3. name is the name of the barycenter, by default SigmaBinary will set it to be the name of the primary followed by the name of the secondary (eg. DunaIke), and also

On 7/5/2015 at 5:20 PM, Sigma88 said:

You only need to add the SigmaBinary {} node to the Secondary Body of your system. All the other settings are optional.

4. sure. except the sun

• 1 month later...

I have no idea how to use this mod. Sigma is in the gamedata folder, I have no idea what to do to make any of the planets actually become a binary system. You are saying that I have to put a Sigmabinary {} node to the Secondary Body of the system. I have absolutely no clue what this means. I do not know how to code at all. Show me an example of one of the planetary systems, i.e. Duna and Ike, and tell me where in the code of what file. Biggest problem: I have no idea where this code is located in the first place so I cannot make any modifications to it even if I knew what I was doing. Where are the planet files that I need to be messing with? Kopernicus? I went there and the structure of the planet code was much different, such as there were no } or @ signs anywhere.

This would be much more helpful if you showed the location of the planet code that we need to be messing with. That is my biggest issue.

However, if the problem is that you instead have to place the .cfg file that you included at the github, I do not know where to place this file. Gamedata? Somewhere in Kopernicus? The KSP directory? There is not enough information on this mod given for someone who doesn't know how to code. I'm not making planets (though I'd love to know how without having to take a full coding lesson), I'm just trying to install a mod that adds them with binary systems. (OPM)

Edited by Pavel ☭

2 hours ago, Pavel ☭ said:

I have no idea how to use this mod. Sigma is in the gamedata folder, I have no idea what to do to make any of the planets actually become a binary system. You are saying that I have to put a Sigmabinary {} node to the Secondary Body of the system. I have absolutely no clue what this means. I do not know how to code at all. Show me an example of one of the planetary systems, i.e. Duna and Ike, and tell me where in the code of what file. Biggest problem: I have no idea where this code is located in the first place so I cannot make any modifications to it even if I knew what I was doing. Where are the planet files that I need to be messing with? Kopernicus? I went there and the structure of the planet code was much different, such as there were no } or @ signs anywhere.

This would be much more helpful if you showed the location of the planet code that we need to be messing with. That is my biggest issue.

However, if the problem is that you instead have to place the .cfg file that you included at the github, I do not know where to place this file. Gamedata? Somewhere in Kopernicus? The KSP directory? There is not enough information on this mod given for someone who doesn't know how to code. I'm not making planets (though I'd love to know how without having to take a full coding lesson), I'm just trying to install a mod that adds them with binary systems. (OPM)

this is a tool for planet makers.

since you just want OPM's binary pluto analogue you don't need to do anything. just install my mod and OPM (as well as all the requiremets) and you will get a cool binary system (Plock-Karen)

all the 'node' talk is for modders and planet makers

• 2 weeks later...

anyone that is using this mod regularly has noticed weird behaviours of the binary systems?

I was trying the mod and found a weird bug when timewarping: at high TW the planets stop following orbits and go crazy

it doesn't seem to affect gameplay, but it's very ugly to see

A question from an idiot: How do I DunaIke? I seem to remember a separate patch for making Duna and Ike a binary system, but I can't find it anymore, and I don't quite understand where the SigmaBinary node is supposed to go. Is there an Ike cfg somewhere? Do I need to create a separate file? I think I understand the basics of Kopernicus syntax, but that's about it.

Really the reason I'm asking is that I'd also like to apply this to some other planets I have that are supposed to be binary but aren't. How would I go about doing that? It seems relatively simple, but again, I'm just not quite sure where I'm supposed to paste the empty node.

I apologize in advance for wasting your time if it turns out I'm just a total moron.

Edited by Hlothwig
Clarity

@Hlothwig

DunaIke is pretty simple to install, you can find the zip in the same page where you download SigmaBinary.

As for adding the binary feature to custom planets:

Kopernicus requires custom planets to be described into a cfg, much like parts are.

You just need to find the "Body" node that defines the secondary body of your binary system and add the SigmaBinary {} "module" inside that "Body" node.

you can do that either by editing the cfg itself, or by applying a mm patch (like I did for DunaIke)

@Sigma88

I can't seem to get it to work. I tried editing the secondary object's cfg file and putting "SigmaBinary {}" inside the Body node, but maybe I didn't put it in the right place, because it didn't seem to work. I tried copying and editing the DunaIke patch to use the names of the bodies I wanted to be binary (changed the file name and the body name in the file), and putting that file in various places, including the secondary body's directory, but that didn't work either. If it makes any difference, the primary object orbits something other than the sun.

I feel like a chimpanzee fiddling around with a drill hoping to stumble across the power button while a construction professional watches me and facepalms.

32 minutes ago, Hlothwig said:

@Sigma88

I can't seem to get it to work. I tried editing the secondary object's cfg file and putting "SigmaBinary {}" inside the Body node, but maybe I didn't put it in the right place, because it didn't seem to work. I tried copying and editing the DunaIke patch to use the names of the bodies I wanted to be binary (changed the file name and the body name in the file), and putting that file in various places, including the secondary body's directory, but that didn't work either. If it makes any difference, the primary object orbits something other than the sun.

I feel like a chimpanzee fiddling around with a drill hoping to stumble across the power button while a construction professional watches me and facepalms.

which body are you trying to edit?

could you show me the cfg?

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

which body are you trying to edit?

could you show me the cfg?

Pkmniako's "Other Worlds" mod had an outdated SigmaBinary patch (at least, I think that was the problem; it used to crash the game and blame bad SigmaBinary configs when I tried to load Other Worlds, and now it just doesn't change Prima at all), so I've been trying to get Prima and Secunda to be binary again. (For the record, the Other Worlds config says "needs SigmaBinary 0.2.4".)

This is my config patch based on the DunaIke patch:

Spoiler

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigmaBinary]
{
    @Body[Secunda]
    {
        SigmaBinary {}
    }
}

I also renamed the file to "PrimaSecunda", but it didn't work, so I deleted it and directly edited my copy of the Secunda config.

This is the edited Secunda config - all I did was add "SigmaBinary {}" right at the start of the Body node.

Spoiler

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
    Body
    {
        SigmaBinary {}
        name = Secunda
        flightGlobalsIndex = 810

Template
        {
            name = Gilly
            removePQSMods = PQSLandControl, PQSMod_AltitudeAlpha,PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute, PQSMod_VertexHeightNoise
        }

Orbit
        {
            referenceBody = Prima
            inclination = 32
            eccentricity = 0.3
            semiMajorAxis = 45200000
            longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
            argumentOfPeriapsis = 180
            meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
            epoch = 0
            color = 0.9,0.9,0.9,1
        }

Properties
        {
            description = I sometimes edit config files in my personal copy of mods, but this one I just want to be binary. I added the empty SigmaBinary node, but nothing's happening. I'll restore the original description when I get the binary system working.
            radius = 222000
            geeASL = 0.15
            rotationPeriod = 46134.589375
            rotates = true
            tidallyLocked = true
            initialRotation = 0
            isHomeWorld = false
            timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 5000 5000 10000 25000 50000 100000 200000

sphereOfInfluence = 22599900

biomeMap = OtherWorlds/CercaniSystem/Secunda/PluginData/Secunda_biome.png

Biomes
            {
                Biome
                {
                    name = Highlands
                    value = 1.0
                    color = 1,0,0,1
                }

Biome
                {
                    name = Lowlands
                    value = 1.0
                    color = 1,1,0,1
                }

Biome
                {
                    name = Active Zone
                    value = 1.0
                    color = 0,1,0,1
                }

Biome
                {
                    name = Cracks
                    value = 1.0
                    color = 0,1,1,1
                }

Biome
                {
                    name = The Clover
                    value = 1.0
                    color = 0,0,1,1
                }

Biome
                {
                    name = Craters
                    value = 1.0
                    color = 1,0,1,1
                }
            }                
            ScienceValues
            {
                landedDataValue = 21
                inSpaceLowDataValue = 18
                inSpaceHighDataValue = 15
                recoveryValue = 17
                spaceAltitudeThreshold = 100000
            }
        }
        ScaledVersion
        {
            type = Vacuum
            fadeStart = 0
            fadeEnd = 0

Material
            {
                texture = OtherWorlds/CercaniSystem/Secunda/Textures/Secunda_color
                normals = OtherWorlds/CercaniSystem/Secun da/Textures/Secunda_normal
                shininess = 0
                specular = 0.00,0.00,0.00,0
            }
        }

PQS
        {
            maxQuadLengthsPerFrame = 0.03
            minLevel = 2
            maxLevel = 6
            minDetailDistance = 8

Mods
            {
                VertexColorMap
                {
                    map = OtherWorlds/CercaniSystem/Secunda/Textures/Secunda_color.png
                    order = 500
                    enabled = true
                }

VertexHeightMap
                {
                    map = OtherWorlds/CercaniSystem/Secunda/PluginData/Secunda_height.png
                    offset = 100
                    deformity = 8200.0
                    scaleDeformityByRadius = false
                    order = 20
                    enabled = true
                }

VertexSimplexHeight
                {
                    seed = 7916824
                    deformity = 500.0
                    octaves = 8.0
                    persistence = 0.5
                    frequency = 4.0
                    enabled = true
                    order = 59
                }

VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute
                {
                    seed =  96
                    deformity = 3200
                    octaves = 3
                    persistence = 0.5
                    frequency = 0.5
                    enabled = true
                    order = 10
                }

VertexHeightNoise
                {
                    noiseType = RiggedMultifractal
                    deformity = 200
                    seed = 6413
                    frequency = 2
                    lacunarity = 1.5
                    persistance = 0.2.5
                    octaves = 6
                    mode = Low
                    enabled = True
                    order = 19
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

Edited by Hlothwig
Spoilerizing tons of extraneous text

@Hlothwig

yes you are using it correctly, it's odd that it is not working.

could you upload the logs and the modulemanager cache?

maybe there's something in there I can take a look at

also, could you put all that into a spoiler tag? it helps with reading the thread

Edited by Sigma88

11 minutes ago, Hlothwig said:

@Sigma88

Anyway, is there any particular place I should upload the logs and cache, or should I just link to pastebin?

logs might be too long for pastebin, if you have google docs or dropbox those will work for sure

for the spoiler just click on the "eye" icon near the emoticons icon

@Sigma88

Both pastebin and google docs crashed their tabs when I tried to paste the config cache, so here's the dropbox links.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90666681/ModuleManager.ConfigCache

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90666681/Prima.Body.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90666681/Secunda.Body.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90666681/PrimaSecunda.Body.log

Edit: Glancing at the PrimaSecunda log, it seems I may have an outdated version of Kopernicus. :confused:

Curse you CKAN!

Edited by Hlothwig

21 minutes ago, Hlothwig said:

CKAN!

sigh

"if I had a dollar....."

and that's why my mods are not on CKAN.

I work to make sure manual installation and un-installation are very simple. no need of automated crap, just unzip and you're ready to go :D

Edited by Sigma88

1 hour ago, Hlothwig said:

I may have an outdated version of Kopernicus.

Curse you CKAN!

Well CKAN doesn't automatically update your mods, you have to do some effort to press the "Add available updates" and "Apply changes" buttons to update them.

For some people this is way to hard to do. (I mean other lazy people).

3 minutes ago, Olympic1 said:

Well CKAN doesn't automatically update your mods, you have to do some effort to press the "Add available updates" and "Apply changes" buttons to update them.

For some people this is way to hard to do. (I mean other lazy people).

That's the thing, 1.0.5 is the latest version CKAN has for Kopernicus. After I resolve this issue I'm uninstalling CKAN, it's more trouble than it's worth. No offense to you or any other developer, of course, it's just that it just can't stay on top of every single mod update, and when I have to update them all by hand, I figure I may as well be modding manually.

Edited by Hlothwig

12 minutes ago, Hlothwig said:

That's the thing, 1.0.5 is the latest version CKAN has for Kopernicus. After I resolve this issue I'm uninstalling CKAN, it's more trouble than it's worth. No offense to you or any other developer, of course, it's just that it just can't stay on top of every single mod update, and when I have to update them all by hand, I figure I may as well be modding manually.

Latest version is build for 1.1.3 is shown on my screen.

Knipsel.png

The moment the author makes a new release of the mod, ckan adds it to the database after a few seconds.

Edited by Olympic1

8 hours ago, Hlothwig said:

@Olympic1

Figured out the issue, I'm running KSP 1.1.2 because 1.1.3 apparently has orbital glitches with some of the mods I use

Ah yes, Kopernicus v1.0.5 is the latest version for 1.1.2 thats why. But it's not advised to use a higher version because those are build for KSP 1.1.3

• 1 month later...

Just a small update on the state of the mod:

This mod will be the first on my priority list of mods to fix.

1.2 more than likely made changes to the orbital mechanics, I'll need to address those in order to make SB work.

However, before a 1.2 compatible version is released, some conditions will have to be met:

[CONDITION NOT MET] Kopernicus is updated to 1.2
[CONDITION NOT MET] I had enough time to fix what needs to be fixed

I'll keep this list updated so you can keep track of where I am in the developing process.

PS: 

There currently is a bug in SB that I have no idea how to solve.

Basically, when you time warp at high speeds, the primary planet shoots off into the distance instead of following the proper orbit line.

This is a purely cosmetic bug, it shouldn't affect gameplay, but still it's very ugly and if anyone has an idea on what could be the cause, I would really apreciate some pointers :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.