[SOLVED] Billions of problems... Under a dome.

Hi. I have another quadrillion problems because of my dome. No matter what I do I can't solve them.

Here I go.

1. The collision mesh.

So, this is what the collision mesh has to look like:

VJzsK5Q.png

This is what Unity says is selected to be it (which is the right choice, by the way):

aoqdVQK.png

e9c9BGf.png

And this is what I get:

UjVKn2F.png

The result in KSP:

gipaHoM.png

l20hETh.png

2. Attachment nodes

Config file segment about attachment nodes:

node_stack_top = 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0
node_stack_bottom = 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0
node_attach = 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0

Attachment nodes in KSP not being usable, in any way:

OSkrJn5.png?1

3. Orientation. Can't change it. The thing appears sideways and spawns in upside down. Just saw a thread about it, when/if it fixes the problem I will let you know.

EDIT: didn't work.

This is what I have to edit and I can't enable it in any way:

2liZ6QQ.png

4. Apparently the 3D preview thing is empty. The object may simply be too big or have a naughty texture, but it would be nice to see if it could be fixed.

Not as much as I thought there would be, but still more than desired.

Edited by 2001kraft

On nodes problem: try changing the pre-last number in the node array to 1 or -1. Or click the last checkbox in the debug menu.

On orientation problem: there is actually a way to rotate model from cfg file. Try this.

Edited by micha030201

You can't make a concave shape convex.. does it genuinely need to be hollow, and if so, does it need to have an accurate collider?

Add an empty GameObject. Zero it's position and rotation, apply part tools to it, add the model as a child and set up it's position correctly in relation to the parent object you just created - the top level object with part tools applied will be the centre of the object as far as KSP is concerned. This will fix the orientation, no matter what crazy stuff is happening in the model.

What format are you exporting from your modeling tool? Dae? Fbx?

Hi!

I am importing .dae into Unity.

The collider shape itself is satisfactory, but the way Unity makes it collide is wrong. It's a dome, and things have to be able to be inside of the dome.

Will tell you how the GameObject idea goes in a moment.

EDIT: thanks for the node suggestion. It actually attaches now, but it attaches horizontally. I think fixing the rotation will solve the problem with the nodes.

EDIT 2: hey Micha, there's no way to rotate the part via config file. You can only fix the problem in Unity.

- - - Updated - - -

dnUpuD3.png

NeMzAnJ.png

:(

Edited by 2001kraft
such much many edits

#1:

Yep, you can't use a concave mesh collider like that. KSP really needs convex colliders, which is going to become even more of a hard requirement in the Unity 5 conversion.

Generally for an object like that, you'll need several small convex colliders that approximate the shape. Since you need the part to be hollow, you may need a variety of rectangular (or more complex if you prefer) colliders that individually are convex, but allow you to cover the surface area.

#2:

You have all three of those attachment nodes at the same location, and all using the same orientation. The first three numbers are coordinates for the location, and the last three are an orientation vector. If you want the part to stack vertically (like a fuel tank) in the VAB, top nodes should have a vector of "0.0, 1.0, 0.0" and the bottom nodes should have a vector of "0.0, -1.0, 0.0".

When more than one node are at the same location, the "snap-to" feature in the VAB will favor the LAST one in your list. So if you're sticking something below it, and the last node isn't set to point downward, nothing will stick to it that way.

Thanks, NecroBones!

The attachment nodes are figured out now.

But I still can't export the model properly. Which is a darn problem. As for the colliders, thank you, will note. Looks like I'll have to go through this thing all over again :(

Ok, the exporting is solved. The collider is also solved, what I did was make 62 connectible boxes, and surrounded the original mesh with them. No actual changes to the way things attach, etc., but definitely solved the collision mesh problem. The nodes are sorted out, too. Looks like it's just down to rotation now.

Can't. Just.. no matter how hard I try it doesn't obey, the results are very random. I'll try figuring out the config file method.

- - - Updated - - -

after editing the config file, it worked:

41FHdRN.png

but (and however) the nodes are off. That is the last problem I need to fix before I'm done with this.

- - - Updated - - -

Tweaking the position of the model. Looks like I'm very close to it.

For your attachment points, what you are saying is this:

stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

no yes no no no

stack- can I attach things at the nodes?

srfAttach- can I put things on it?

allowStack- Will this thing be stacked?

allowSrfAttach- can I stick this to surfaces?

allowCollision- can I merge this with things, so a collida mesh clips?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.