[1.1.x] In Flight Flag Switcher - Switch flags on the fly — literally! [Apr 19]

iPeer

AS OF AUGUST 9TH 2016, I AM NO LONGER WORKING ON ANY MODS FOR KSP. FOR MORE INFO, SEE THIS PASTEBIN.

DEVELOPMENT OF THIS MOD HAS BEEN TAKEN OVER BY @adsii1970. YOU CAN FIND THEIR THREAD HERE.

Ever launched a rocket to discovered you forgot to change your mission flag? Previously, you'd have to revert to the editor (or recover), switch the flag and launch again... NOT ANY MORE!

With this carefully crafted file of specifically chosen letters you can change your flag at any time while in the flight scene. Mun, Minmus, Eve, below Jool's surface... you name it, you can change your flag there.

Just click the handy-dandy button that shows your current flag on the toolbar (which will show the flag of your vessel's root part), pick your new flag and you're done! Exactly how do all the flags on your ship get reprinted in an instant? Well, actually, we don't know, but we're told it has something to do with portals and toasters or something. We're sure it's all very complicated.

Please note this will only effect your active vessel. Our toasters aren't powerful enough to do it on a global scale, or at least that's what the scientists told us.

Planted a flag on a planet only to realise it's not the right one? You can change those, too!

Our top scientists tell us that it should work with any part mod, so long as they don't use a custom FlagDecal module, whatever that is.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download from Github
On CKAN as InFlightFlagSwitcher

Bug reporting guidelines

Source code is licensed under GNU GPL v3

Part by part flag changing requires Module Manager (included)!

CHANGELOG

Dates are dd/mm/yy

19/04/16, v1.0.2:
	* Updated to work with KSP 1.1

09/11/15, v1.0.1:
	* Recompiled against KSP 1.0.5 binaries

06/07/15, v1.0:
	* Initial public release!

05/07/15, v1.0-dev3:
	* Fixed toolbar button not updating to the flag of other vessels when they're switched to
	* Pre-release code refactoring!
	* Can now toggle flag on a part-by-part basis (Right click the part you want to switch and hit "Change Flag")

04/07/15, v1.0-dev2:
	* No longer allows changing of flags while controlling Kerbals.
	* Button will now remain visible while in map view.

03/07/15, v1.0-dev1:
	* Initial private release.

CREDITS:

MatoroIgnika from KSPTV for the original idea

Mihara for their code on how to get the FlagBrowser prefab

Edited by iPeer
Resignation

I was looking for a mod similar to this one for a long time now. The thing that I wanted was to be able to choose the flag I was to plant in a planet, without being the same as my vessel. I see at the description of the mod that it would be possible with it, but I can't find how to change the flag I'm going to plant on the planet. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I already like this mod.

Very cool! I've been wanting something like this for a while. I like using a custom mission patch for my missions, but when I plant the flag somewhere I like to use my "nation" flag - this lets me do just that!

However I wasn't able to change the flag for a Kerbal once they were on EVA, I had to change the craft's flag, leave the craft, then switch back to the craft, change its flag again, then back to the Kerbal. I hope that makese sense, it's confusing :)

It would be nice to change the flag on the fly for the Kerbal. Very cool regardless - Minmus Selfie:

GhMWf1o.jpg

Note that in the upper right the Flag Icon is greyed out and can't be selected! It's also distorted, it'd be nice if that could be fixed, but I suspect that would be difficult since you're squishing a rectangle down to a square. Maybe change the size of the icon? Dunno. Sorry about the giant image.

Unrelated thought: Speaking of flags, do you know how to make the game refresh ONLY the flags folder of the game? For example, if I want to alt tab out of the game, change a flag, go back in, then refresh it.

Again, awesome work. Thanks! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Just realized that you can skip my step of changing the flag from the craft by switching to the flag, and changing it there. Cool. :)

Edited by Saybur Stuff
fixed spelling.

Very cool! I've been wanting something like this for a while. I like using a custom mission patch for my missions, but when I plant the flag somewhere I like to use my "nation" flag - this lets me do just that!

However I wasn't able to change the flag for a Kerbal once they were on EVA, I had to change the craft's flag, leave the craft, then switch back to the craft, change its flag again, then back to the Kerbal. I hope that makese sense, it's confusing :)

It would be nice to change the flag on the fly for the Kerbal. Very cool regardless - Minmus Selfie:

http://i.imgur.com/GhMWf1o.jpg

Note that in the upper right the Flag Icon is greyed out and can't be selected! It's also distorted, it'd be nice if that could be fixed, but I suspect that would be difficult since you're squishing a rectangle down to a square. Maybe change the size of the icon? Dunno. Sorry about the giant image.

Unrelated thought: Speaking of flags, do you know how to make the game refresh ONLY the flags folder of the game? For example, if I want to alt tab out of the game, change a flag, go back in, then refresh it.

Again, awesome work. Thanks! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Just realized that you can skip my step of changing the flag from the craft by switching to the flag, and changing it there. Cool. :)

Changing the flags of Kerbals on EVA is disabled as it was deemed kind of pointless with the fact it resets as soon as they board the vessel again.

The distortion - the flags being kind of "squished" into the button - is something I'm looking at to try and fix.

As for refreshing the flags folder, not sure. If the built-in flag browser doesn't auto-refresh then you might be out of luck.

Edited by iPeer

• 4 weeks later...
Centraldoxadrez, you can plant a flag on the planet/moon, then switch to the actual flag and change that there and all should be fine with the one on the craft. It's a little roundabout but it works! :)

Long time without playing ksp, but tried this today, and for some reason I don`t have the option to change the flag that is planted. In fact, if I have no kerbonalt on my vessel, I can`t change it`s flag ether. Does it happen just with me?

Long time without playing ksp, but tried this today, and for some reason I don`t have the option to change the flag that is planted. In fact, if I have no kerbonalt on my vessel, I can`t change it`s flag ether. Does it happen just with me?

Where are you looking for the option to change it? To change a planted flags flag you'll need to click the toolbar button (which will have the image of the flag's current flag)

Where are you looking for the option to change it? To change a planted flags flag you'll need to click the toolbar button (which will have the image of the flag's current flag)

iPeer, thank you so much. I was right clicking at the flag and waiting for an option to change it, as the one we have on the vassel when there is a kerbal on board. Now I see how to do it. Time to have fun.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I would like to take up the task of updating this mod. Please contact me.

I sincerely hope you hear from him. I'm sure we're not alone in wishing this mod would continue being usable.

Edited by Rhedd

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.