Puff Engine uses

ryan234abc

Due to the relative success of my last thread, SRB uses (check it out if you want), I decided to begin a new one. This time, on those OP monoprop engines. The question is, again, how do you use them? Upper stages? Probes? You got a use, we wanna hear it! As always, +rep anything you like. Great posts are always encouraged and generously repped. I used them on a surface base, but there's nothing left to screenshot xD. So go on, how do you use the Radical Radial Racers?:cool:

I use them as landing engines to help my chutes when I land a pod on Kerbin. They are great because of the pod's built in monopropellent supply.

The make a good OMS if you want to build a shuttle that carries no LFO.

I use them as orbital maneuvering engines in craft that don't need to travel long distances: space stations, utility tugs, debris deorbiters, and the like. The basic idea is that if the craft already has monopropellant for RCS, and it needs to move around a bit, I don't have to add a new fuel system for the engines.

I like the puffs for certain situations when 1 fuel type is preferred. So motoring around the Mun, it's annoying to have separate fuels for RCS and Main thrust, as you can be stranded if either runs out. With a single fuel, I only need to watch one fuel gauge. Of course, this doesn't address puff vs vernor.

I have a monopropellant lander that can escape Tylo, which is powered by only a handful of OP "Puff" engines. It also served as a final stage for an Eve ascent and performed by all means flawless.

JzvgOUT.png

Edited by Frank_G
Added a picture

I use them as a backup OMS/OFS ("orbital finagling system") for my landers' return stages. Saved my bacon when I used just a teensy bit too much fuel on the main lander stage.

Due to the relative success of my last thread, SRB uses (check it out if you want), I decided to begin a new one. This time, on those OP monoprop engines. The question is, again, how do you use them? Upper stages? Probes? You got a use, we wanna hear it! As always, +rep anything you like. Great posts are always encouraged and generously repped. I used them on a surface base, but there's nothing left to screenshot xD. So go on, how do you use the Radical Radial Racers?:cool:

Used them for my final stage of my Eve ascent vehicle.

Used them for a resource scanning satellite.

So yeah. They're useful :)

Basically whay I like: you don't need a second fuel type if you want to make a lander or satellite or probe that then needs to dock with a mothership or station and want to repeat that.

The make a good OMS if you want to build a shuttle that carries no LFO.

That's what I've just been using them for. 2 clusters of 6 as this shuttle's OMS.

ATknNDel.jpg

(toggling 12 of them on/off together sounds really nasty! And on full power it's like white noise with the treble boosted.)

I use them to trick KER into giving me dV numbers for my Monoprop on craft with no main engines.

I am frustrated with them.

The Isp is horrible. Anything that could benefit from one pooled fuel tank is typically too lightweight to make good use of 40 kN (or even 20kN) of thrust. Monoprop is also more expensive than LFO.

Vernors are better, but the lack of a good multi thruster block leads to part count ballooning on designs that don't need their power.

I ran a monopropellant space program a few versions back. LFO was allowed for launches and Kerbin departure burns, but everything beyond LKO had to use monopropellant.

monopropellant_dres_4.jpeg

Dres was the furthest planet I reached before I got bored with the idea.

I use them to return all those kerbals stuck in kerbin orbit to the ground

They are usually in a command pod of some description, I use KAS/KIS to strap on a Puff and a parachute then use the pods monoprop supply to nudge them into a sub orbital trajectory. Jobs a good 'un and I can rescue loads of the buggers from a single launch.

I like Frank's Lander. . . I might replicate it!

I have a monopropellant lander that can escape Tylo, which is powered by only a handful of OP "Puff" engines. It also served as a final stage for an Eve ascent and performed by all means flawless.

http://i.imgur.com/JzvgOUT.png

Could you elaborate a bit? Are you saying this takes off from Tylo surface and makes orbit? I must know more. Sounds like witchcraft to me. :cool:

Could you elaborate a bit? Are you saying this takes off from Tylo surface and makes orbit? I must know more. Sounds like witchcraft to me. :cool:

The bigger radial tanks are quite dense and he has an inline tank below the relatively light capsule. You'd get even further if all that weight was used for LFO-engines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.