Puff Engine uses

ryan234abc

On 7/6/2015 at 2:11 PM, Alshain said:

The make a good OMS if you want to build a shuttle that carries no LFO.

I'm no good with shuttles or spaceplanes, but I do use them for OMS and landing engines (very useful back when I used to constantly fry my chutes).

On 7/6/2015 at 5:47 PM, ShadowZone said:

Used them for my final stage of my Eve ascent vehicle.

Used them for a resource scanning satellite.

So yeah. They're useful :)

Basically whay I like: you don't need a second fuel type if you want to make a lander or satellite or probe that then needs to dock with a mothership or station and want to repeat that.

Question: Are those kickbacks on that station loaded?

11 hours ago, THX1138 said:

Most of the scenarios people are describing here seem like they'd be much the same using a small LFO tank and twitch or spark engines. I don't see the point in using them. I used them to make small tugs for moving small loads around but I think I could probably have used LFO and get more miles per gallon.

Its good to have an emergency reserve, if, say, you underestimate delta-v requirements, or due to some tragic happenstance, you need to return to Kerbin (or a nearby station/base/whathaveyou) quickly. Those situations usually require a lot of delta-v, and assuming you're already carrying it, a monoprop OMS system can really give you a precious few dozen m/s of dv.

7 hours ago, Grenartia said:

Question: Are those kickbacks on that station loaded?

No, I basically used them as long structural fuselage parts. There is no propellant inside.Would make for an interesting self destruct mechanism, though.

I put puffs on the nose of my Spaceplane to allow it to flip to a vertical launch orientation on Minmus.

Also used to land; it comes down vertical, pumps the nukes to a dead stop and flips the nose down with gyro, and uses the nose puffs to arrest the rotation just as the wheels touch down.

The nose puffs also serve as pitch boost for the cobra maneuver while descending back to Kerbin.

And as an extra bonus, they're also involved in docking to push up and mate that dorsal docking port to stations.

KSP_SSTMin.png

I don't use them all that much, but I use them for a few things.
My primary use is for EVA "rigs"; small, barebones ships that are hauled into orbit with nothing more than a seat, some RCS thrusters, monoprop and the puff, with storage space for KAS/KIS items. It helps with longer missions, or missions in gravity which is a bit heavy for the standard jetpack.

As others have mentioned, I also use them in SSTO spaceplanes, and on occasion I'll use them to deorbit a ship I sent up to top off the monoprop of a space station.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.