The wheels are FAAAAAKE!

Sharpy

What a disappointment. The wheels are a lie. They are fake! They are more fake than the fake water in the pool by the astronaut center!

They are only visually wheels. In fact, they are

- square

- with only one "propulsion surface" on the bottom

- not even cleanly square. They are roundish on the front and back, and they are clipped on top.

See for yourself.

Is there some mod or some other way to get some true round wheels? Or at the very least, two-sided?

Pretty certain that wheels will remain in their broken state until they get redone in Unity 5, KSP v1.1. Good news is they seem to be turning out awesome in that build, so here's to hope!

...And what's this about the fake water in the astronaut pool? I will confirm this myself and fill out a detailed bugreport if found to be true. Simply unacceptable!

I'm pretty sure that its your reaction wheels in this case. I've constructed several low down rovers with the ruggedized wheels and none of them have ever acted like that. How many reaction wheels do you have on that thing? I see atleast 2.

As for the water near in the administrator pool OddFunction, that would be almost impossible to fix without changing the entire way water works in KSP (which is terrible at current, don't get me wrong), because it is above sea level. Although I can't tell if you are joking or not.

THEY ARE, DAMMIT!

Always wished for wheels that would work like actual wheels and not slippery skids. Hopefully this will change in 1.1.

I remember Bobcat mod having excellent wheels plugin, but they came with a full, 6-wheeled piece.

Well, it is difficult making a full collision box with a round object. Do you know how many polygons are in there?

If the wheels were hexagonal, but symmetric and with active (pulling) surface on all sides, I'd be okay with it. But currently you can't even drive up a step - the bottom produces "torque" but the rest is entirely inert.

You want to see more fake? Look at all the Mk2 and Mk3 landing gears, those wheels don't even roll. It cringes me.

Yeah, but that's probably because they are completely reworking them and didn't bother wasting time for fixes while they can work on the new system supporting wheels from scratch.

Edited by Veeltch

Yes, the wheel system in KSP is completely fake, because that's what Unity 4 provides. The wheels only work when upright, or close to it. They're more like skis, with slip+propulsion along one axis, and massive friction along the perpendicular axis.

The new wheel system that Harv has been working on for the Unity 5 conversion is supposedly going to be much more realistic.

Well, they could have given them more propulsion skis all around. If you clip eight wheels together in an 8-way radial geometry with the bottoms sticking outwards, you are getting something much more resembling an actual wheel in the way it acts.

Of course it's terribly ugly, drains 8x as much power and behaves funny when it comes to turning, but it works mostly like wheels should. So not entirely the engine limitation.

Yes, the wheel system in KSP is completely fake, because that's what Unity 4 provides. The wheels only work when upright, or close to it. They're more like skis, with slip+propulsion along one axis, and massive friction along the perpendicular axis.

Ah, so that explains the weird behavior of my heavy Eve rover. Great traction when turning left or right, a fraction of that traction otherwise, no control nor braking past 13 m/s... And it does skid nicely down slopes, even with broken tires.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.