MechJeb vs non MechJeb

322997am

MechJeb vs non MechJeb  

489 members have voted

1. 1. MechJeb vs non MechJeb

• Mechjeb
    • Mon MechJeb

There are players using MechJeb and some are not. Post your thoughts on the subject below. Criticizing opinions is allowed but attacking opinions and other rudeness are not.

- - - Updated - - -

Non MechJeb not mon mechjeb

MechJeb. Interplanetary missions would be boring without the "Maneuver Planner -> Maneuver Node Editor -> Execute Node -> read the forum or play some other game until something interesting happens" cycle.

MechJeb is cheating though.

Actually, using any mods is cheating. Feels good to be 100% stock again...

Place bets on the admin to lock this thread? I think RIC is online but invisible, so my bets on him...

Edited by r4pt0r

All i need that the game doesn't provide is TWR readings, having to roughly guess whether my rocket would lift-off from a certain planet or not was really getting old.

p.s. I use Engineer Redux for that

Edited by Overfloater

All i need that the game doesn't provide is TWR readings, having to guess whether my rocket would lift-off from a certain planet or not was really getting old.
KSP is all about figuring things out on your own, trial-and-error, making mistakes, reverting and losing all that transfer time to Tylo because your craft couldn't take off, doing serial missions because Kerbals cost so much to hire, and that sort of thing.

I installed it once.

But didn't really use.

Trying to learn how to use it just was more effort than doing things without it.

Eve return would probably have been easier with it than through the stock trial and error...

Why care about all the numbers when you can just overengineer...

...unless you get problems with FPS. (I did)

The only numbers I think are missing from stock are the transfer window times. (Didn't learn about them until after some... unusual interplanetary transfers)

Edited by Joonatan1998

I love to try program in optimal launches with the ascent guidance and then watch my rockets launch. I spend hours tinkering with it sometimes. It's fun to me. That said, I plan all my maneuvers with the stock tools.

Damn it I clicked mechjeb instead of non mechjeb. If I'd been using mechjeb that wouldn't have happened :P

I've never installed mechjeb. I figure I can do most things it does except maybe super precise landings and I enjoy the flying anyway.

Getting interplanetary transfers, gravity assists are just easy. I would only use mechjeb for randezvous because its hell with lego armor (still easy for me, been like that for a few weeks). Otherwise, game without mechjeb is still fun.

Non Mechjeb

If I know one thing it is that MechJeb would completely have spoiled the beginner/learning experience for me. Which is why I am glad I did not start playing the game with it and waited until I could do most of the maneuvers myself before installing it. That which I couldn't do myself at first, I looked up Scott Manley's tutorials on youtube :).Besides, sometimes MechJeb still gets it wrong.

I don't have a problem using MechJeb since I know how to play the game. I have a very limited time in which I'm able to play games each day, and I'm not going to sit around bored doing maneuvers I have done a thousand times over myself, regardless of whether someone on an internet forum calls it cheating or not. If one of my RL friends makes an convincing argument however, I might reconsider :sticktongue:

There are players using MechJeb and some are not. Post your thoughts on the subject below. Criticizing opinions is allowed but attacking opinions and other rudeness are not.

So which are you, Mr. OP?

I make unashamed use of MJ as much as I can and always snicker to myself at those who get all holier-than-thou because they don't use it themselves. Been there twice, done that backwards, got an Orbiter T-shirt from the 1980s. Try flyiing to the real Moon in RSS with just text readouts to go by, I dare you. I also get up every morning to this day, as I have for the last 30 years, and lead real troops in real combat (a genuine war, several lesser misunderstandings, and the fire service). So if you think you can impress me by not using MJ, go ahead and knock yourself out, but I'll always think you're just compensating for a shortage elsewhere :D.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.