Pet project that become great thing :-) the Sputnik

I heard that Russian Government wasn't even interested in satellites, the Sputnik was Pet project of Korolyev while he was Working on R-7 Rocket with was developed for military purpose.

I thing that many cool thing was Pet project for example the KSP that we all here adore and love to play :) Was initially a pet project :D

They were supposed to test the rocket. Nobody rly cared about the payload, cause that wasn't part of the test. So he asked about puting sputnik ontop of it and nobody interfered.

It only gained any attemtion after the US press reacted with amazement and kinda paniced. Nobody in charge rly saw that kind of interest coming.

I guess the same applies for KSP :P

Sputnik was a test payload for a military project. America reacted the way it did because the Russians showed that they could hit anywhere on the planet. Far from a "pet project." I don't know where you heard that. Not so innocent.

Sputnik was a test payload for a military project. America reacted the way it did because the Russians showed that they could hit anywhere on the planet. Far from a "pet project." I don't know where you heard that. Not so innocent.

I watched BBC miniseries "Space Race: Episode 2: Race for the Satellite"

It's seems that soviet ministry of defense want only rocked to carry nuclear warhead nothing more nothing less, they wasn't interested in space at all.

Sputnik was launched because the other satellite design was suffering from serious delays. The Sputnik design was an easy one to build.

Not to mention that there were a lot of failures of the R-7 before that flight.

to take it even further, the mathematical explanation of gravity made by Newton was also a hobby project.

It was only till Sir Edmund Halley asked Newton if he could make calculations how the moon, Earth and other planets rotate that Newton showed his calculations.

And after that he turned 26, the same age I'm now :( . I feel stupid...

to take it even further, the mathematical explanation of gravity made by Newton was also a hobby project.

It was only till Sir Edmund Halley asked Newton if he could make calculations how the moon, Earth and other planets rotate that Newton showed his calculations.

And after that he turned 26, the same age I'm now :( . I feel stupid...

Isaac Newton was a very unique character, and he had Asperger's Syndrome like me :D

Now reading a book about a very talented boy, reportedly is smarter even from the Albert Einstein, and also has a team apsergera, moreover, Einstein also have it :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.