Real life Skylon spaceplane built in stock KSP (45T to orbit SSTO)

This is the largest spaceplane I've ever built, strictly following the concept of the real Skylon concept, cargo bay in the middle, short wings and dual cycle engines on the tips. In stock KSP, I was able to lift 45 tons to 75km orbit. Here's a pic during re-entry:

icK9y5m.png

And he's the real Skylon concept:

skylon_flight_2l.jpg

Link to KerbalX:

http://kerbalx.com/iVG/Skylon-45T-to-orbit-SSTO

Try replacing the Mk. 3 cockpit with this setup:

Mk. 3 to 2.5m Adapter->2.5m Probe Core->C7 2.5m to 1.25m Fuel Tank Adapter->Advanced Nose Cone A.

Additionally, try replacing the silly Mark 3 to Mark 2 adapter with a single Mark 3 to 2.5m Adapter Raised, then a large nosecone.

You'll find it's a lot more accurate than what you're using currently.

Also, psst, install TweakScale for the engines. xD

Yeah I meant the rescaling, I'll try the other recommendation, again, the looks can't really be very close the real life, it's the approach, wings holding the cargo so CoM doesn't change when you release the payload, the reast of the balancing is done before re-entry by pumping fuel front/back and it does work. You may need to stick some airbrakes if you need them though.

That looks like it has a really low wing loading. Which, I guess, is kind of accurate. Here's how mine looked, way back when I briefly used KVV:

RfbvED6.png

Rune. As always, a tiny one. :)

That looks awesome @Rune, how much can it lift ot LKO ? 2 rapiers only so I guess something like 3-5 tons. The stock MK3 cockpit doesn't really fit the part but hey, stock is stock...

And yeah, most of the lift comes from the body as one could imagine but the screen is at 35-40 Km so lift improves drastically. Really love the way you can make a skip very high in the atmo, you could glide the thing all the way across the opposite side of the Kerbin.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.