Wiki migration problems

Mat2ch

Hello Squad,

the wiki is in migration state for 2 month now. Also most parts seem to work file upload still doesn't. The wiki is an important source for new users and experienced ones and images matter. The Parts website needs them badly and the dV map from Kowgan needs an update.

So please fix it. And if you have no time, no money, don't know anyone who can fix it: This is a quite large community. I guess you just have to ask and there would be several volunteers to do this in their spare time! And if you fear that somebody from the outside could tinker with other services on the server, just move the wiki to another virtual machine. All it needs is a database snapshot and the mediawiki data directory. That's it. So pleeeeaaaaasssssssee.

Also you're great.

Yes, please fix the Wiki, Squad. For a game this complex, the Wiki should always be up to date with its images and information.

This isn't really about getting the content up to date, but fixing significant things which are broken on the server (and which are significantly impairing our (the community) ability to update the content). We just need Squad to spend a day or 2 fixing the MediaWiki installation (and it may well be as little as just an hour or 2 needed, in my expert opinion), and then to commit to properly maintaining it on an ongoing basis.

Moved to another forum. Is this all? No "I'll ask them" from a mod? Just moving it somewhere, where nobody cares and no one will take action. Whoever moved this could at least ask someone from Squad for an update. *slightly frustrated about the communication style here*

Moved to another forum. Is this all? No "I'll ask them" from a mod? Just moving it somewhere, where nobody cares and no one will take action. Whoever moved this could at least ask someone from Squad for an update. *slightly frustrated about the communication style here*

The mods are here to moderate, not funnel all your requests straight to Squad. That's what the forums are for. Rest assured that Kasper has probably seen this already, and that the wiki isn't too far from the front of their minds. :)

I moved it to this sub and passed the question along. Sorry I forgot to post saying so, but I was expecting an answer would come soon. While we wait for a firmer answer, I believe the wiki itself is working, and the problem might lie with your browser caching.

Update: I'm told parts of it are not working. :(

Edited by Vanamonde

I moved it to this sub and passed the question along. Sorry I forgot to post saying so, but I was expecting an answer would come soon. While we wait for a firmer answer, I believe the wiki itself is working, and the problem might lie with your browser caching.

Update: I'm told parts of it are not working. :(

The basic text content functionality (including MediaWiki's ParserFunctions and similar) has been working pretty much fine all along. All image processing broke completely around the start of May, and we got a response that it was being worked on and due to the wiki being in a transition/migration state, including MathML stuff. Only cached results of historic image processing are displayed, new images, changed images, and new sizes of existing images are 100% broken. Since then, I've identified a number of other broken/misconfigured server things which are detailed on the wiki's "migration issues" page linked from the site notice, which serves as our (the wiki community) master list of problems needing looked at.

Personally, I'd been holding off saying anything outside the wiki's internal talk pages and the issues page, as we had been assured that a fix was coming. I've now stuck my head up here since this thread was opened, as it's now gone past all reasonable timescales without any obvious movement. It should be obvious from the issues page, but there's 2 main phases of remedial attention needed: 1) A fast fix to the major visible stuff (i.e. images and MathML), which really should not be difficult to address; and 2) A deeper look at the state of the MediaWiki install to address the more subtle and less visible issues (which are still important), and basically give it a comprehensive health check/cleanup.

Beyond that, we do need some low intensity, general server support on an ongoing basis, so that we can get things like configuration tweaks, MediaWiki extensions, etc looked at without too much fuss. I wouldn't expect that to be a significant number of hours per month, just occasional collaboration between server admin(s) and the wiki community to make it as good as it possibly can be, and mostly low urgency stuff.

(None of the issues listed have anything to do with caching on the user end, but it sounds like you've already figured that out.)

• 3 weeks later...
I sent another memo to KasperVld, just in case.

Thank you.

I'm reminding. This shouldn't be forgotten. And as I initially said: I'm pretty sure the can get the wiki fixed for free, if someone from Squad just asks here...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
[quote name='UmbralRaptor']The migration was finally finished on October 26. (As mentioned on the front page of the wiki)[/QUOTE]

Yes, although there are still multiple outstanding issues. The only thing fixed at that time was the file uploads.

The most important part, if you ask me. Now new players have a resource to see the stats of all the parts in one big list. This is really great!

I was bothering, because the wiki helped me, when I started playing. This is great to see. Also the dV-Map is updated. And I just figured out I need 3400 m/s for Kerbin, not 3200. Explains why it was so hard to make orbit lately...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.