sun corona/flare/light texture removal - one more thing to remove

Anybody know of a way to get rid of all the textures that show up over the sun? I'd love to be able to point the camera at it from the surface, zoom in with Camera Tools and see planets/moons transiting. Right now tho that all gets drawn over by the textures

UPDATE

So thx to removing the asset files I can lose the glare and flare the blocks any planets/moons that are in the immediate area of the sun. However there's still the bright texture that blots out the central part of the sun I'd like to see removed as well, as it removes features of the sun like sunspots from direct view. I saw in KittopiaSpace folder from KittopiaTech a glow.png texture that I modified to be fully transparent but that didn't have an effect

fBG5rdKm.png fJGc0mcm.png

Edited by Gaiiden

you could delete the sharedassets file,but I have no idea which one it is. It was 9 a few versions ago, but apperently that's for the loading icon now.

I think that it was Shared asset 10, but deleting the entire file would be a big mistake, because the last time I checked, it had a lot of files inside of it.

The only way that I can think of is to use a Unity asset decompiler and then replace the old sunflare with a blank image file, then recompile it. More information could be found in the old Universe Replacer thread If you feel up to it. (someone in that thread posted an alternate sunflare texture and included a decompiler).

Unfortunately that's the best I can do off of memory, good luck with the edit!

thx for the suggestions guys. KSPRC ships with sharedasset10 to replace the corona with a new one so I just tried outright deleting that file from the KSP_Data folder - there was no visible effect in 1.0.4 at all except for Kopernicus not liking it and failing to load its configs (so I saw white atmo, no sun particles, Jool rings, etc) - corona was still there

It's in sharedassets9.

Awesome, removing that file did indeed get rid of the corona and sun flare

Do NOT delete the sharedassets files since it will bug out the game a lot.

While generally good advice, in the specific instance of what I want to do, it's a perfectly feasible solution. I just watched Minmus transit in front of the sun.

Awesome, removing that file did indeed get rid of the corona and sun flare

While generally good advice, in the specific instance of what I want to do, it's a perfectly feasible solution. I just watched Minmus transit in front of the sun.

The better solution would be to get Unity Asset Explorer and just remove the sunflare.tex and 01_sun.tex. By removing the whole file, you're also losing Eve.mat, Jool.mat, Kerbin.mat, LoadingBackground.mat, 04_jool.tex, 02_eve.tex, LoadingBackground.tex, 03_Kerbin.tex, and about 10 other assets that the game uses.

So I'd imagine there are several spots in your game (though you may not have noticed them yet) that are missing backgrounds and textures. There's also some AUDIO in that .assets file that you are losing.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.