What are your quirks?

annallia

I (almost) always go to Mun first in any career, and not Minmus. Even though Minmus is easier and gives you more science. It just feels... wrong to skip Mun.

hihi... never thought of that... i ALLWAYS go for the Mun first too :)

The Entire Air Arm of my Space Program is stationed on that little runway island off the coast. When I test my planes/Spaceplanes/Shuttles, the test is "If it can make it half a mile to the airfield, I'm sure it can make it to Eve and back!"

I don't recover them once they land (unless they... don't "land") they sit their until I need them.

I didn't think it was much of a quirk, but like others, I leave everything I launch in space. It gets to the point with satellite contracts that it's hard to see the probe I'm flying in the map view through all of the clutter. (My workaround is to rename it and change the type to a ship so it will still show up after turning off probes on the map, then changing back when the mission is complete.) However, I will go and periodically check to see if any spent boosters have a periapsis that dips below the 70 km mark and delete those because they won't deorbit on their own unless you are actively flying it when in reality the orbit should decay eventually.

I also don't like wasting time. If a mission will be awhile, I'll go back to the space center and do something else. Nine days to Minmus? I can fill six contracts while it's en route. Makes me feel like I'm running an efficient operation. However, I prefer to not launch at night unless there's a reason (I'm trying to hit a specific launch window, for example), so I'll advance to the next morning then.

I only ever use "Abort" to eject fairings, never for its stated purpose of aborting a launch.

I use abort to extend antennas. Another quirk of mine is that I like to have everything deployed while in space - extended antennas, solar panels, and open service bays. But antennas will retract after transmitting data and you can't extend them again through the right-click menu. Action groups still work though, and I don't otherwise use abort for it's intended purpose.

I just recently started forbidding myself to time warp.

I have 17 days yet till the next Duna window, in 12 days I will start crewing my ship (ship is ready just needs crew and fuel) but until then I work on other projects, once it begins its journey to Duna I will also be working on other projects instead of time warping my way through.

I used to just be like "Oh hey 32 days till Duna no problem change orbit and timewarp, change back to a lower orbit and go" then I would time warp my entire trip there (dropping out only if course correction needed) until it was time to start my breaking burn. Months would go by at the KSC without anything going on. I decided I don't like that.

**I do still timewarp for missions within Kerbin SOI**

I tend to build rockets with too much delta, and then try to use stages for stuff that they're clearly not meant for. My LKO crew rescue vehicle? I tend to drag along the boost stage for awhile since it's always got just a little bit (well, ok, 700+ LF/O) of extra fuel left over.

- I always use the "Gears" action group for extending my orbital stages solar panels and Group 1 for my chutes.

And I also always properly "wire" my ABORT button to get my precious command pod out of trouble when sh*t begins to hit the fan.

- I always use my ascent stage until the fuel is completely empty.

So I don't stage in orbit, even if I almost can't turn that heavy a** towards my maneuver nodes.

- I avoid part clipping for my rockets at all costs. If it's ugly because of that, that's fine.

- I always delete debris from my missions

- I almost never cancel failed manned missions while in Kerbin SOI. I always try to de-orbit the manned module and return it to Kerbin if something went wrong.

I tend not to actually go interplanetary much in Career any longer. Not because it's boring or anything, but because it's just not as interesting to run single missions at a time. Around Kerbin I can set up an elaborate series of simultaneous missions, but for other planets there's just this endless wait to deal with. Wait for a window to the target, wait for a window back to Kerbin, wait wait wait. It feels like I'm wasting potential by focusing on those sorts of missions when I could be doing fun stuff right in Kerbin's backyard on the Mun and Minmus.

I tend not to actually go interplanetary much in Career any longer. Not because it's boring or anything, but because it's just not as interesting to run single missions at a time. Around Kerbin I can set up an elaborate series of simultaneous missions, but for other planets there's just this endless wait to deal with. Wait for a window to the target, wait for a window back to Kerbin, wait wait wait. It feels like I'm wasting potential by focusing on those sorts of missions when I could be doing fun stuff right in Kerbin's backyard on the Mun and Minmus.

Need more delta V :D

I find that I am Terrified of zero-gravity EVAs. I have stepped out onto the ladder 2 or 3 times to get an EVA report, but otherwise I have done no crew transfers or rescues. When I see the Kerbals out in space, I get a wash of vertigo flooding over me, worried that they will fall or be lost forever. ...yeah, I'll be seeing my therapist on the weekend... >.>

I'm very stubbornly precise with my manover nodes yet casual and sloppy with manover burns.

Roll circular rockets after launch because it makes no difference to kerbals comfort.

Give Kerbals way too much room than they require when building 'efficient' craft.

Say 3 2 1 out loud most launches.

Every time I design a new crewed vessel, or modify an existing one, I perform a series of unmanned test flights to test all possible abort modes (Pad Abort, Abort during first stage burn, Abort during second stage burn, partial or complete booster failure, etc). This might be a game, and I don't mind using quicksaves often, but I take the safety of my Kerbalnauts quite seriously.

It's one* of the reasons why my workhorse crew ferry hasn't evolved very much, as well as why I've never been beyond the Mun.

*The other being that I spend more time developing add-ons than actually playing the game

I always build up to the early missions (Mun and Minmus)... so while I may have the tech to go straight to a Kerballed landing, I generally always send probe first, followed by a 1 kerballed fly by on a free return trajectory, a kerballed orbital mission, then eventually a landing.

Back in the day, I would leave so many random experimental ships in orbit, that Kerbin looked like Saturn, and I could never find the ship I wanted. Now, I take care to de-orbit, delete or debris-tag extra crafts.

I (almost) always go to Mun first in any career, and not Minmus. Even though Minmus is easier and gives you more science. It just feels... wrong to skip Mun.

Same here.

I never leave Kerbins SOI in career, unless i have almost finished the science tree. I know it is easier to get more science when launching interplanetary probes early, but i cant help it... I do so since career mode was introduced, dont know why.

I do a variant of this, I push the Kerbin SoI stuff, and start sending probes to as many places as possible given transfer opportunities. Course I play with LS, so I sort of want some later stuff to send larger ships. Past the "load up on LS supplies," I also require decent hab space for long trips. A 4 kerbal crew (min for anything past keratin for me) would get 2 pilots, an engineer, and a scientist, have 2 hithikers, plus various other crewed parts (sometimes a science lab).

Edited by tater

Well cleaning up after yourself is a good thing, so I never leave any trash in orbit, but I don't consider that a quirk because it's not really pointless. So my only pointless thing I do is I always ignite my liquid fueled engines at zero thrust and bring them to full before I stage the launch clamps.... It just looks cooler :)

-My abort button often causes big red lights aimed at the cockpit/cm/pilot seat to light up, as well as some retrorocket sepratrons.

-My manned rovers always have six wheels.

-I can dock, but I prefer not to because it is exhausting to align the docking ports and the vessels, and I get torque, so I have made Big-S lifters and boosters.

-My boosters are often suborbital if not in orbit. They stay there for my Poodle-Klaw tug to replenish fuel, even if the randezvous costs more than that tiny FLT-100 tank worth of fuel. Once drained it almost completely just to drain the rest of the fuel of my suborbital sounding rocket.

In addition to what I consider "the usual" - never leave a kerbal stranded, minimize debris, etc etc - I have a few:

* I don't play with any life support mods, but I play as if I did. I've actually made "dummy" versions of some parts - oxygen tanks, recycling module, greenhouses, etc - with the same weight, but no functionality. I prefer to nod to reality without being beholden to hard-coded limits or the risk of losing, and thus effectively wasting, literally dozens of hours of my time and work if one fallible human forgets or miscalculates something at the start of a long mission.

* Likewise, no sending kerbals to other planets in capsules. Everyone gets at least half a Hitchhiker (2 to a can), and usually a slice of a centrifuge too.

* Even before 1.0, I put heat shields on things.

* I just don't do spaceplanes. Like, at all. I find them very difficult to control with a keyboard, and while I'm told that some of the issues with controllers and joysticks have been solved, I've never gone back and tried again since my first disastrous experiments.

* (looks down) Oh, right, action groups. Yeah. 1 is Solar Panels, 2 is Ladders, 5 is Cameras/Telescope, 9 is Science Report(s), and 0 is Antennae.

Edited by Commander Zoom

My quirk is that every "manned" mission to another planet/moon must be done via spaceplanes. It's fun to have more control in take off and landings, plus spaceplanes just have the coolness factor, that I'm more then willing to put up with the extra challenges of fuel and logistics that spaceplanes require. Plus it makes the return more triumphant when you land at KSC in the very spaceship that traveled to another world, with a cargo bay filled with new scientific data, just to have it refilled with fuel and sent off on another adventure.

Edited by Edax

For some reason I've gotten into the habit of always using certain action groups in certain ways across all vehicles. For instance, action group 1 is always a solar panel toggle (lights in career before unlocking the numbered ones), and I always make a two-phase abort sequence --

Abort: cut all engines, decouple whatever's been defined as the escape vehicle (pod with tower, spaceplane cockpit, or cross-range capable return stage), and fire its thrusters or escape system.

Group 0 (brakes if group zero not unlocked in career): decouple escape thrusters if needed and pop chutes.

For some reason I never deviate from that pattern.

Always let the main theme play though after loading, for luck.

Actually, I don't do that.

- I like to timewarp when landed s o it's like the Kerbals did get to have a good stay on whatever body they landed on, even if I only walk around for a few minutes.

For some reason I've gotten into the habit of always using certain action groups in certain ways across all vehicles. For instance, action group 1 is always a solar panel toggle (lights in career before unlocking the numbered ones), and I always make a two-phase abort sequence --

Abort: cut all engines, decouple whatever's been defined as the escape vehicle (pod with tower, spaceplane cockpit, or cross-range capable return stage), and fire its thrusters or escape system.

Group 0 (brakes if group zero not unlocked in career): decouple escape thrusters if needed and pop chutes.

For some reason I never deviate from that pattern.

I do exactly the same things, wow this is actually kind of creepy :D

Don't tell me you also bind the ladders to the gear button...

- - - Updated - - -

Same here.

I do a variant of this, I push the Kerbin SoI stuff, and start sending probes to as many places as possible given transfer opportunities. Course I play with LS, so I sort of want some later stuff to send larger ships. Past the "load up on LS supplies," I also require decent hab space for long trips. A 4 kerbal crew (min for anything past keratin for me) would get 2 pilots, an engineer, and a scientist, have 2 hithikers, plus various other crewed parts (sometimes a science lab).

My Kerbals get 1 can each for interplanetary trips as living quarters. I usually pack 2 sets of these. One is used in space and stays in orbit, the other is landed on the destination planet for the crew to live in while waiting for the return transfer window (they're happier waiting it out on the planet than in orbit).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.