Next stage from finished .blend model

Hi all,

I've been trying to create this Octagonal fuel tank structure, I have modeled and textured it, but it's in .blend format right now. I can't log into Unity, it won't accept my account and I can't get hold of them to query why. How can I get it from .blend to .mu? As well as this, is there anything else I need to do, with exception to the CFG file, I've made that? Thanks in advance

You will need a copy of 4.2.2.. try setting up another account?

After its installed, create a new project, install part tools, follow the tutorials in the mod dev links sticky. The YouTube by tiberion is perfect for setting out what to do.

My this is a slow process, or I am really bad- one of the two:

zEitTbG.png

I get this, I can't find the Part Tools C# file, there's only one called Part Tools and it's dll? I can't put it in.

I've watched this but the new download doesn't come as a package to install, it's separate folders to install

Just drag the part tools folder into your unity assets folder and let unity import them. You don't need to do anything else.

You add part tools as a component on GameObjects.

Create an empty GameObject. In it's inspection window, click "add component", add part tools there. You only need one part tools object as the parent of your part.

Edited by Randazzo

OK, I've got to the stage of adding my blend file to the Unity view, but my blend file doesn't work! It won't accept .Blend and when I try .DAE it doesn't appear in the preview. I don't have material selection and I don't know how to get that, send help :/

OK, I've got to the stage of adding my blend file to the Unity view, but my blend file doesn't work! It won't accept .Blend and when I try .DAE it doesn't appear in the preview. I don't have material selection and I don't know how to get that, send help :/

You also just drop those in your assets folder and let unity do the rest. They'll then show up in the projects window at the bottom. Drag your model onto the hierarchy or scene.

Make sure you have your texture images in the same place, and DON'T use .dds files in unity itself or the model will not export properly.

You can convert to .dds after you've exported.

You don't need an account and you can use 5.1.

Don't use Unity 5.1 - KSP 1.0.x doesn't support the new mecanim animation system from 5.1, so you'll need to use Unity 4.2.2 in order to use the legacy animation system for emissives.

Now I have the blend file into Unity, but now my texture doesn't appear on the model! Endless problems! It appears to have it when I look in texture view in object mode in blender, does it need to be in render mode? If so my render mode is completely black

Now I have the blend file into Unity, but now my texture doesn't appear on the model! Endless problems! It appears to have it when I look in texture view in object mode in blender, does it need to be in render mode? If so my render mode is completely black

You need to create materials in Unity that apply the textures to the mesh(es), making sure that you're using the correct KSP shaders.

'Tis a problem on my behalf, for reasons I don't know yet, only a few areas are mapped... :confused:

In Unity, every mesh must only use one material/texture - you can't have a mesh where some tris/quads use one material while other tris/quads use another material. You'll need to remap your UVs in Blender.

That being said, multiple meshes in their entirety can share the same material(s)/texture(s).

Now, I have the .blend model in Unity, but it's pink and no textures are showing up on it? I don't know what's going wrong here.

*Update* Don't worry, I didn't assign a material :/

Edited by Rhyunix

What format should the Part tools .txt (?) be in? I messed it up by saving it as a cfg, mistaking it as my Part.CFG, so now it doesn't work

Send help!

*Update*

Fixed by deleting and letting Part tools recreate it

Edited by Rhyunix

Don't use Unity 5.1 - KSP 1.0.x doesn't support the new mecanim animation system from 5.1, so you'll need to use Unity 4.2.2 in order to use the legacy animation system for emissives.

Yes, you can use unity 5.1 AND animate emissives with it. It takes a bit of editing but it does work. As a matter of fact, Xyphos made a small utility to make it even easier.

Yes, you can use unity 5.1 AND animate emissives with it. It takes a bit of editing but it does work. As a matter of fact, Xyphos made a small utility to make it even easier.

Even with that utility you have to convert things to txt files and manually edit them, adding unneccesary complications to the process.

Unity 4.2.2 just works.

Even with that utility you have to convert things to txt files and manually edit them, adding unneccesary complications to the process.

Unity 4.2.2 just works.

Fengist, that small utility was based on procedures mbartelsm and I discovered back in July 2014. I've gotten said procedure to work myself for 4.3, but that and Xypho's utility no longer works reliably for 4.6+. I'm not sure exactly how much has changed between 4.6+ and 5.x for emissives, but at this is stage in KSP's development cycle, it's a bad idea to jump the gun and use Unity 5.1 just because it's the latest and coolest.

Until SQUAD releases a new set of PartTools that specifically gear towards Unity 5.x and coincide with the engine update for KSP 1.1, please refrain from using Unity Editor 5.x, and more importantly, please don't perpetuate incorrect information.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.