Are stranded Kerbals always female?

Bishop149

Rescue missions within Kerbin's sphere of influence are probably my most reliable source of funds. . . . I do rather a lot of them.

As a result my space program is becoming very female heavy, I dunno if this is a general known bug or not but in my game at least the stranded Kerbals are exclusively female.

Anyone else?

So far all the Rescue Missions I've been offered have been for female Kerbals.

I wish the mission profile would tell you the Career of the Kerbal too though; I need another Engineer! Mostly they've been pilots with one or two scientists. Also it would be nice to know what ship/capsule they are stranded in.

There are too many of them, period. Also, once you get the grabber, most switch to returning their capsule, which is just silly.

Basically, like 99% of the contracts, they are poorly done.

Fun fact: when shown a large group that is roughly 1/6 female, most people will later say when asked that it was about half-and-half; when the large group is more than 1/6 female, people tend to remember it as being mostly female.

There was another thread wondering about this too, and from what I gathered some people get mostly females and a lot of people get 50/50. I am one of the ones who gets mostly females... out of 10 kerbals, perhaps 9 are female. It's a ridiculous ratio. But it holds true even in my latest 1.0.4 save game.

Women drivers, waddya gunna do? :)

I only play sandbox so never encountered this, but its random, it could just as well have been all male.

You have all female, someone will have all male, the majority will have a mix. That is what random is... in some cases, its freaky.

Fun fact: when shown a large group that is roughly 1/6 female, most people will later say when asked that it was about half-and-half; when the large group is more than 1/6 female, people tend to remember it as being mostly female.

That's because one female is five times the value of one male.

OP:

It's mostly a coincidence as far as I know. Even if it's equally likely to be either, there will be instances where it is not one for one.

There are too many of them, period. Also, once you get the grabber, most switch to returning their capsule, which is just silly.

This is incorrect. Recovery contracts have the same chance to appear as any other contract. Once you get the Klaw, it only opens up the possibility of a rescue with a part recovery. This has a higher chance to be requested on more difficult contracts. If you just want the rescues, without worrying about the part, stick to the easier one-star recoveries. They pay less, but in most cases you only need to worry about a kerbal or a part, not both.

You can also completely disable part recoveries in GameData/Squad/Contracts/Contracts.cfg if they are not your cup of tea by setting AllowPartRecovery in the Recovery section to false.

As for the topic at hand - the gender of spawned crew members is random. Of course, if you flip a coin fifty times, it is possible to get heads every time. Such is the nature of entropy. :P

I don't think that all or many of them are female... Yes I know I just came back to rescue 4 stranded astronauts, 3 of them females... But in the last flight I found 4 males and 1 female...

I think that the average is 50%... But you know to be sure you need to rescue a lot of Kerbals, Infinite is the ideal basis, but I think if you rescue 100 we will have a correct estimation.

source?

source?

Hmmmmm. I think I first heard about it in an article that quoted this interview, which says

We just heard a fascinating and disturbing study, where they looked at the ratio of men and women in groups. And they found that if there's 17 percent women, the men in the group think it's 50-50. And if there's 33 percent women, the men perceive that as there being more women in the room than men.

I have not seen the study myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Women drivers, waddya gunna do?

I don't get it; what about them?

Hmmmmm. I think I first heard about it in an article that quoted this interview, which says

I have not seen the study myself.

too bad.

personally, I would not repeat such information without having more than hearsay from a clearly biased source, but that's me

and of course if she is talking about the ratio of men and women in film ... she fails to mention things like the rates of *death* and significance of death in relation to the ... of the killed person.

men get killed by the hundreds without any significance (unless main cast), if a woman dies it's always a big thing

the new jurassic park comes to mind, watch it with a mental counter active

edit: s e x is banned? for ducks sake it's a technical term in the fields of biology and medicine ...

Edited by SoWeMeetAgain

Eh, I kinda lost interest in the Jurassic Park franchise after the first two movies or so.

I suspect that the "if a woman dies [in a movie] it's always a big thing" phenomenon is largely due to the fact that there are fewer female characters in the first place.

Eh, I kinda lost interest in the Jurassic Park franchise after the first two movies or so.

I suspect that the "if a woman dies [in a movie] it's always a big thing" phenomenon is largely due to the fact that there are fewer female characters in the first place.

it's because men are viewed as expendable and women as important

which in turn is the reason why there are more men in movies - they're like props

This is how female kerbals get stranded.

"Okay Valentina, time to do the burn" Give me a second" "Oh, okay" *2 days later* "You still haven't done that burn?!" "One more second!" "Did you do it?" "I have something to tell you guys..." "What?" "I jettisoned the stage 2 days ago" "Why didn't you tell us?!"

It's probably some kind of confirmation bias. For whatever reason when I look at a rescue contract I remember the Damsel In Distress trope, as someone brought it up right after female Kerbals were announced. When it is a male Kerbal I don't keep thinking about it. When it is a female, the trope has been confirmed.

But the problem with this idea is that no Kerbals in the universe is a damsel in distress. Cowards, BadSs, Idiots, or Geniuses, but not a single one is a damsel in distress. Unless they are female and young and unmarried, and they aren't particularly happy, in which case that's not a trope, that's just the literal definition.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently played two career games; in both I have rescued some 40+ Kerbals, all were female. I don't register the name when selecting a mission, my decision is just as and when needed or fits in with other missions.

Something isn't right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.