Rookie add-on dev, best programs to use?

NIN3

I want to get into making ship parts for KSP, but as I look through the forums here, I feel like im reading hyrogliphics. What would be the best program for an idiot to use, so that he can create parts, and texture them? (preferribly free, as im kinda poor and dont want to dish out money just to learn that I will never model)

Blender. Once you get into a few tutorials, modeling itself becomes a complete cinch. UV unwrapping and texturing are two things i\'m still fairly noobish at, but Blender\'s UV unwrapping is pretty good. Use GIMP for texturing.

Meh, the last time I took a stab at making parts, I ended up with a no load error.

That, and I cant get the UV\'s to work to save my life.

EDIT: Wait, unity wants my money now? darn. I guess Ill just stick with blender. anyway to backward convert .mu to somthing blender to read? (I like to use it as a template)

EDIT: Wait, unity wants my money now? darn. I guess Ill just stick with blender. anyway to backward convert .mu to somthing blender to read? (I like to use it as a template)
It does not. It wants you go to the 'shop' and 'buy' a free version (i.e. choose free license from all the available licenses listed) ;).

AFAIK no back-conversion from .MU format is currently available :(

It does not. It wants you go to the 'shop' and 'buy' a free version (i.e. choose free license from all the available licenses listed) ;).

AFAIK no back-conversion from .MU format is currently available :(

Said it was a 30 day trial? Guess Ill reinstal and see what happens...

Dam, I really wanted to backward engineer from the defalts, so I would be sure to have my sizes right (leave it to me to make a small radially attached boster that needs a ship the size of manhatten to lift off the ground o.o)

Meh, went back to blender. I seem to have failed, even after making a model for a fuel tank. I exported the .dae, and put it over a stock booster (dont ask me why) but instead of getting a black fuel tank that can fly, it came out looking like an untextured booster. any ideas what I did wrong?

Meh, went back to blender. I seem to have failed, even after making a model for a fuel tank. I exported the .dae, and put it over a stock booster (dont ask me why) but instead of getting a black fuel tank that can fly, it came out looking like an untextured booster. any ideas what I did wrong?

You need to change the cfg file too. And Unity is very useful. If you want your engines to glow or your textures to look more high detailed without complex modeling (normal maps). Unity also supports animations. Unity isn\'t a modeling engine. It\'s for exporting to kerbal and for advanced parts like animated lander legs. I really hope you give it another try.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.