What is your favorite "I did it!" Moment?

Sgt.Shutesie

Well, just today I went on my first Jool mission (in sandbox unfortunately). I was able to make it all the way to Laythe with plenty of fuel to spare.

So, since this is one of my greatest "I did it!" moments, I wanted to know the ones of others.

Post your first or best "I did it moment".

My favorite one was sending my first mission to the Mun (Just a low pass, no landing) I found the resulting orbit when I left the Mun's SOI I was gonna end up relatively close to Minmus's orbit. I said, "Hmmm, I got pleanty of fuel, let's do a two-in-one", and I managed to get two science runs from both of them. The worst part was at the end of that exciting low pass I did a burn to bring my orbit down into Kerbin's atmosphere, but I ran out with a pariaps of 64km, not enough to do anything up at 45 thousand km. I went though a pass to see what that would do (hint: not much), but ingenuity struck e again when I got the kerbals out on EVA and pushed the craft down to 40km and tht was enough after a few passes to bring me back to Kerbin safe without bursting up!

Definitely the first time I managed to rendez-vous and dock successfully.

Biggest step forward in my space program.

That was a long time ago though. But managing planetary transfer, aerocapture, or orbital manoeuvering never gave me this achievement feeling.

Another moment would be the first time I managed to land on the Mun and come back to Kerbin in one piece. No landing legs at this time, you had to use a weird struts and wings contraption to land safely.

Edited by grawl

When i got my vulcan replica to circumnavigate kerbin, forgot to take actual pictures of the flight though as i set the autopilot:( maybe next time ill be able to submit it and get my medal

eSea3Wl.png

First time I landed a probe on the Mun - full stop.

There's nothing like realising you can shut the engines off... and everything stops moving, and the ship is still ok!

(I was showing screengrabs to people at work - and they of course thought I was nuts!)

[Edit]

Here's one of the screen grabs.

Look at that fuel level! Hahah

SsLHCob.png

Edited by ygarl

On my second mission to Jool, I landed successfully on Tylo at the first attempt. Intact. With plenty enough fuel to reach orbit again. I sat back more in shock than anything else!

(my first mission to Jool had many, many reloads before I landed on Tylo in one piece. Back then I didn't know about the constant altitude landing technique)

Jetpacking from Minmus orbit down to the surface and then getting back to the ship afterwards, and with no mods to help me. That was real seat-of-the-pants stuff. I've done countless EVA landings since, usually assisted by mods like KER, but none nor anything else have felt quite the same as that first time.

More of an "Ah-hah!" moment...

I spent long hours the first day I got KSP trying to figure out just how I was expected to be able to get a rocket into space with a Goo can on one side and no SAS because I hadn't unlocked SAS modules yet, and the tutorial had told me I couldn't use SAS until I had done so.

And then of course I discovered you could, in fact, use SAS with a pilot.

More of an "Ah-hah!" moment...

I spent long hours the first day I got KSP trying to figure out just how I was expected to be able to get a rocket into space with a Goo can on one side and no SAS because I hadn't unlocked SAS modules yet, and the tutorial had told me I couldn't use SAS until I had done so.

And then of course I discovered you could, in fact, use SAS with a pilot.

The first time I started I spent ages trying to figure out how to set the rocket going, back in 0.18 I think, space key duh :confused:

There was an amazing time when I had a station in minmus orbit, and I got a rescue contract for minmus orbit, the derelict was in a much lower orbit, so I got Jeb to EVA from the station, rendezvous with the derelict, get the stranded kerbal out and then fly both of them back to the station. It's the coolest feeling ever when your kerbal has been in EVA for hours in empty space, and suddenly a station appears and you get inside.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.