Mun Base Docking Solutions

So I've started to work on a Mun Base and while the majority of the issues I have pretty solid solutions for- I'm still not clear what the best solution would be, to dock with visiting spaceships. Essentially, if I wanted to refuel a vessel before it carried on.

I've seen some photos of players who built landing pads out of large hatches, or built a rover/tug which could position a landed vessel. But I'm curious what other solutions are out there?

Edited by spinomonkey

There is the KAS/KIS mod for it's resource transfer parts - requires an engineer on EVA but if you are building a base, shouldn't be an issue. I gave up on using a Klawed refueling vehicle at things started acting really wierd, Klaw wouldn't release etc.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92514-1-0-2-Kerbal-Attachment-System-%28KAS%29-0-5-2

You can set up template parts to model all of your base components with matched height docking ports then use a rover to move all the modules together.

I set up a Minmus mining operation with about 6 modules but it was horrendously difficult to get the ports to dock properly. There is a version of the base that inspired mine called Kassandra (Its not called Kassandra!) that has long connectors between each module/habitat that might make it easier to assemble. The base craft files are on here somewhere complete with landers & boosters I think.

In the end I installed KIS/KAS and had my engineer hook up a fuel line instead of trying to fly my tanker onto the docking port with RCS and thrusters. I'm about to decommission the base because it keeps suffering from spontaneous explosive deconstruction and replace it with a single module mining rig.

Edited by ChrisD
Its not called Kassandra

The issue there with aligning docking ports comes with heavier vehicles "squatting" more on their gear, and docking ports not lining up properly and bugging out, which happens far too regularly for my liking.

I'd +1 on KAS. Just put your things near each other and hook up hoses. Have an engineer up there who can attach/detach ports in case you need to muck with things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.