[PART] [1.8.0 - 1.12+] ShadowWorks - Stockalike SLS, Delta IV, and More v2.0.5.1 Waterfall Edition [8-11-2021]

TheShadow1138

So it does appear that it's only the newest parts that you're having a problem with at the moment. Do you have those folders I mentioned in the proper location? I'm really not sure what's going on here, if everything was installed correctly. It would really help if I could see your KSP.log file.

So it does appear that it's only the newest parts that you're having a problem with at the moment. Do you have those folders I mentioned in the proper location? I'm really not sure what's going on here, if everything was installed correctly. It would really help if I could see your KSP.log file.

Post the link to the dropbox.

The nose cone needs RCS and needs to be longer, but other than that, great job!

I haven't fit-checked the nose cone yet, and I anticipate I will need to tweak it some. As for the RCS I'm going to attempt to place RCS transforms such that they are lined up with the locations they would be at on the stock shuttle cockpit. I realize that there are no RCS ports modeled or textured on the Mk3 cockpit, but I'd rather have the RCS thrust. If it turns out to be too difficult to accomplish then I will work something out.

Shadow i have some thing to suggest, a space tug of some sort for deep space missions.

I really hadn't considered anything like a space tug. Once I get everything in the mod that I am currently planning for then I'll see about it. Do you haven anything in particular in mind for this space tug that you would like to see if I made one?

I really hadn't considered anything like a space tug. Once I get everything in the mod that I am currently planning for then I'll see about it. Do you haven anything in particular in mind for this space tug that you would like to see if I made one?

What about Parom?

And Kliper?

getasset.aspx?itemid=10214

Or...

Jupiter & Exoliner!

df-tugpixq_lockheedmartinspacesystems.jpg

Hi,

Really nice work on what you've done so far. I'm really looking forward to the shuttle OMS mount/RCS systems. I had to jury-rig together a solution myself!!

Also, maybe take a look at OPT shuttle nose for what you're trying to achieve?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105063-1-0-Mk3-Mini-Expansion-Pack-%28Mk3-NoseCone-and-Alternate-Cockpit%29

His design makes the nose sort of go overlapping the Mk3 cockpit to give the nose the correct shape as well as properly placed RCS.

Have you considered doing a flat bottom version of the Mk3 fuselage system? That's the only bugbear I've had with Mk3. It's perfect for aircraft, but when designing a shuttle it can be difficult I feel if you want full wing coverage down low and keeping the shuttle's shape.

Hi,

Really nice work on what you've done so far. I'm really looking forward to the shuttle OMS mount/RCS systems. I had to jury-rig together a solution myself!!

Also, maybe take a look at OPT shuttle nose for what you're trying to achieve?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105063-1-0-Mk3-Mini-Expansion-Pack-%28Mk3-NoseCone-and-Alternate-Cockpit%29

His design makes the nose sort of go overlapping the Mk3 cockpit to give the nose the correct shape as well as properly placed RCS.

Have you considered doing a flat bottom version of the Mk3 fuselage system? That's the only bugbear I've had with Mk3. It's perfect for aircraft, but when designing a shuttle it can be difficult I feel if you want full wing coverage down low and keeping the shuttle's shape.

Thanks for pointing me to the OPT nose. It appears to be about what I am aiming for, with the exception that my solution would not have visible RCS ports on the Mk3 cockpit.

As for the fuselage, I hadn't considered it and don't plan on it anytime soon. I do agree that the rounded fuselage does ruin the look of Mk3 shuttles, but at a certain point I'd almost have to make a whole new shuttle.

When will you post new updates on the shuttle?

I haven't had a chance to work on anything recently, but when I get something worth showing I will definitely post it for all to see.

Update: I've started working on the PMA and CBM, which should round out the next major update.

Render:

9uUeeoy.png

The slope is not nearly as pronounced on my PMA as on the real adapters, but that's the way it has to be to have a 1.25m base diameter for attaching to the station parts, and the 0.9375m top diameter to go with the Orion and NDS docking collar.

In the render above the CBM height guide sits between the retextured Unity Node and the PMA, which has the Orion docking collar on top (will not be integrated into the PMA to allow use of other 0.9375m docking systems if you wish).

• 2 weeks later...

Cool work on the station parts. I think there is another modder working on a stockalike ISS pack fyi if you want to collab. I was wondering if we could get an chute cap that doesn't tear off the docking port, or a capsule decoupler that has the little umbilical clamp on the exterior.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I'm using MechJeb. SLS seems to not want to play along with it. If I set a flight profile with the ascent turn indicator, it'll aim high, and it eventually stops pushing the apoapsis before it gets to the intended height (I set 100 km, it's gonna do 80 km. I do 80km, it's gonna do 50-60km), even though it still is thrusting, and it gets to the situation where I'd have to make a periapsis burn in the atmosphere to complete the push to the desired apoapsis, and then I'd have to take a looooooooooong coast out of the atmosphere and to the final circularization burn 180 degrees from the KSC. With my other rockets, they usually behave well with MechJeb. SLS? Not so much. I thought the ISP was the issue, but it apparently seems to not be. Have you tested this with MechJeb?

And did you upload the correct version? Because even though you say you've tweaked the MPCV to have 950 m/s, I'm still getting only 300 m/s. ICPS could still use a bump though.

Hi there.

I've been enjoying this mod greatly, but I'm having a similar issue but with the STS. I have not changed it other than add in a small payload into the cargo bay. It launches brilliantly, but once the SRB's have gone, and I reach about 50km, the shuttle and fuel tank start to pitch up and down, getting more and more vigorous. I've tried it with mechjeb and manually (with and without sas), and I just cannot seem to overcome this problem! Any advice? I have tried using the same settings as above which seemed to improve mechjeb but still the same problem. Just wondering if anyone else is able to launch the STS and if so how! I don't have any aerodynamic mods.

Thanks

Hi there.

I've been enjoying this mod greatly, but I'm having a similar issue but with the STS. I have not changed it other than add in a small payload into the cargo bay. It launches brilliantly, but once the SRB's have gone, and I reach about 50km, the shuttle and fuel tank start to pitch up and down, getting more and more vigorous. I've tried it with mechjeb and manually (with and without sas), and I just cannot seem to overcome this problem! Any advice? I have tried using the same settings as above which seemed to improve mechjeb but still the same problem. Just wondering if anyone else is able to launch the STS and if so how! I don't have any aerodynamic mods.

Thanks

I've been playing around, I think it might be thrust? I used less fuel in the fuel tank as the shuttle doesn't use it all to get into orbit anyway and it had the same issue. I was looking at thrust on the flight engineer. The SRB's go around 50km, once they go thrust goes from 14000 to 2500. This coincides with a falling apoapsis. I used the infinite fuel debug and kept the SRB's going and it reached orbit.

I've been playing around, I think it might be thrust? I used less fuel in the fuel tank as the shuttle doesn't use it all to get into orbit anyway and it had the same issue. I was looking at thrust on the flight engineer. The SRB's go around 50km, once they go thrust goes from 14000 to 2500. This coincides with a falling apoapsis. I used the infinite fuel debug and kept the SRB's going and it reached orbit.

The STS is difficult to fly once the SRBs jettison. The SAS can keep the shuttle steady for a little bit after SRB jettison, but once the vehicle starts to noticeably fight the SAS the only solution I have found is to fly the rest of the ascent almost without the SAS at all, using only the pitch controls. It is possible to get the STS to orbit without cheats, but tedious. The drop in thrust is to be expected as the thrust rating of a single SRB is many times greater than the SSMEs. The drop in apoapsis is to be expected immediately after SRB separation as it was the case with the real shuttle, whose TWR was less than 1 after SRB sep, but rose back to 1 soon. Another thing you could try would be to activate the RCS after SRB separation, if you aren't doing that already. Beyond that, all I can say for now is to keep experimenting.

The STS is difficult to fly once the SRBs jettison. The SAS can keep the shuttle steady for a little bit after SRB jettison, but once the vehicle starts to noticeably fight the SAS the only solution I have found is to fly the rest of the ascent almost without the SAS at all, using only the pitch controls. It is possible to get the STS to orbit without cheats, but tedious. The drop in thrust is to be expected as the thrust rating of a single SRB is many times greater than the SSMEs. The drop in apoapsis is to be expected immediately after SRB separation as it was the case with the real shuttle, whose TWR was less than 1 after SRB sep, but rose back to 1 soon. Another thing you could try would be to activate the RCS after SRB separation, if you aren't doing that already. Beyond that, all I can say for now is to keep experimenting.

And what about the amount of fuel in the tank? Whenever I've made my own shuttles with the ShadowWorks parts the main fuel tank section is always reduced to roughly 1/3 of its original fuel content. Which also tends to be aided by tons of reaction wheels to "fill" that extra space. Totally not part clipping, I'm just filling that extra space. (It's part clipping)

Ehy there! First time with this pack! By the way, excellent work. Maybe the textures could be refined, but the whole thing is ok. I played a lot with Tantares (lots of soviet stuff) and I have been looking for US parts for ages! Finally a good STS and SLS. However, also I feel that after SRB sep the Shuttle is uncontrollable, it definetely needs a fix (I know that irl the shuttle lose thrust after SRB sep, but in KSP it's too much difficult to fly). Do you plan to make ISS modules (Nodes, Trusses ect.)? It would be fantastic (your pack+tantares=stockalike iss)

Ehy there! First time with this pack! By the way, excellent work. Maybe the textures could be refined, but the whole thing is ok. I played a lot with Tantares (lots of soviet stuff) and I have been looking for US parts for ages! Finally a good STS and SLS. However, also I feel that after SRB sep the Shuttle is uncontrollable, it definetely needs a fix (I know that irl the shuttle lose thrust after SRB sep, but in KSP it's too much difficult to fly). Do you plan to make ISS modules (Nodes, Trusses ect.)? It would be fantastic (your pack+tantares=stockalike iss)

If you look back a page, you can see his progress on the PMA and CBM parts.

And what about the amount of fuel in the tank? Whenever I've made my own shuttles with the ShadowWorks parts the main fuel tank section is always reduced to roughly 1/3 of its original fuel content. Which also tends to be aided by tons of reaction wheels to "fill" that extra space. Totally not part clipping, I'm just filling that extra space. (It's part clipping)

When I did the initial balancing for the External Tank I wasn't particularly keen on the amount of propellant I ended up with in the tanks. What I did was build the orbiter out of stock parts to get a mass for the orbiter. I then took the gross mass of the full STS stack, and the mass of the real orbiter, determined what percentage of the total STS gross mass was the orbiter. Knowing that percentage I could calculate the remaining scaled down mass of the STS in KSP. I then used the gross mass of the real External Tank and SRBs to determine their percentage shares of the remaining mass. I then used the real gross mass-to-empty mass ratios for the ET and SRBs to determine the empty mass and propellant masses for the KSP parts. I then determined how much thrust the vehicle would have to have to possess the same TWR at liftoff, and then determined through percentages the thrust of the SRBs and SSMEs. If your method works, that's awesome. Is the shuttle easier to control after SRB jettison?

The shuttle is very...finicky, shall we say, after SRB separation. It is something that I had constant trouble with, especially if there is no payload. The easiest time I have had getting it to orbit is with a payload in the bay, and only using the pitch controls, and barely using the SAS after SRB separation. If you attempt to yaw, or roll the shuttle after SRB sep, it usually goes into a tumble that is unrecoverable, even using RCS and SAS. MechJeb isn't particularly helpful as it will attempt to correct any yaw and roll and will cause the vehicle to tumble. I tried multiple things to try and fix the tumble that all proved unsuccessful. I disabled roll and yaw control in the ailerons, and pitch and roll control in the rudder during ascent, as I believed the rudder was trying to participate in the SAS's pitching causing the initial yaw and thus the tumble. This did not help. I tried disabling the control surfaces altogether during ascent, which didn't help. I even tried using the control surfaces module on the engines to try and select only pitch control for the SSMEs. I was able to get the engines to use ModuleControlSurface in place of ModuleGimbal, and get them only to work for pitching the vehicle. None of these efforts was successful. Only when I placed a decent payload in the bay did it get to be any kind of controllable.

The TWR after SRB separation is quite terrible, but it can reach orbit. I don't believe that KSP models pressure thrust, which might make things a little better. Feel free to play with the numbers and if you find good values for propellant load, thrust, Isp let me know. I welcome any and all balancing tips. I have the station modules modeled and textured and with very basic IVAs, and I'm still working on the PMA and CBMs. Work is slow as the school year has started.

So today I returned to attempting a shuttle that looked nice and performed, but this time left all the stats on the tank and SRBs the same. I tried again and managed to get a beautiful looking "orbit" without needing any OMS. I was kind of surprised at how stable it was after SRB jettison, dispite my previous attempts. I also used this mod, which made a nice little lifting body and attachment point for wings on the shuttle. You might also look at that nose cone too. (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/133233-Cormorant-Aeronology-Dev-Thread)

Might want to work on landing though. I'm pretty sure shuttles aren't supposed to flat spin into the ocean. Who needs the KSC anyway?

So today I returned to attempting a shuttle that looked nice and performed, but this time left all the stats on the tank and SRBs the same. I tried again and managed to get a beautiful looking "orbit" without needing any OMS. I was kind of surprised at how stable it was after SRB jettison, dispite my previous attempts. I also used this mod, which made a nice little lifting body and attachment point for wings on the shuttle. You might also look at that nose cone too. (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/133233-Cormorant-Aeronology-Dev-Thread)

Might want to work on landing though. I'm pretty sure shuttles aren't supposed to flat spin into the ocean. Who needs the KSC anyway?

Glad the ascent went better for you. I stink at shuttle landings, I haven't gotten one landed since starting this mod. I have started working on a nosecone with RCS, but hadn't planned on new cargo bays to make the orbiter look more realistic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.