[PART] [1.8.0 - 1.12+] ShadowWorks - Stockalike SLS, Delta IV, and More v2.0.5.1 Waterfall Edition [8-11-2021]

TheShadow1138

As it turns out, I wasn't thinking correctly when I determined that the truss segments wouldn't fit into the cargo bay as planned. I looked at the Mk3 Cargo Bay config file to find out how tall it was and saw that the top node and bottom nodes were 0,5,0 and 0,-5,0 respectively. So, I thought, "well it's only 5m tall", when in actuality it is 10m tall. Once I realized my mistake I realized that the truss segments as planned will fit in the cargo bay of the shuttle even with the airlock I believe.

So, you will be able to launch the truss segments with the shuttle, but will still need a tug or the probe core-docking port hybrid that I will provide to attach the truss segments to the station.

As it turns out, I wasn't thinking correctly when I determined that the truss segments wouldn't fit into the cargo bay as planned. I looked at the Mk3 Cargo Bay config file to find out how tall it was and saw that the top node and bottom nodes were 0,5,0 and 0,-5,0 respectively. So, I thought, "well it's only 5m tall", when in actuality it is 10m tall. Once I realized my mistake I realized that the truss segments as planned will fit in the cargo bay of the shuttle even with the airlock I believe.

So, you will be able to launch the truss segments with the shuttle, but will still need a tug or the probe core-docking port hybrid that I will provide to attach the truss segments to the station.

I'll probably just clip some RCS into a Centaur-G or install Canadarm mods.

Are you considering any upgrades to the Orion command module? Like RPM and ASET support or maybe even a black version of the command module?

At the moment I'm not considering ASET support, but I have given some consideration to an RPM compatible version of the IVA so that if you have RPM it'll use that version. I will be including a black version of the pod with the next update. I'm gonna set the minimum crew for that version at 0 so that it could be used as an unmanned capsule either for rescues, or recreating EFT-1.

So are you going to add the Altair eventually?

Yes, I am planning to add the Altair. I don't know when it will be added, as right now I'm focusing on getting the ISS truss done. Depending on how long it takes to get the truss done I may wait until after 1.1 incase there are any changes to how landing-legs are done.

Progress Update: I've finally got the Solar Array Wing (SAW) part modeled, animated, and working properly in-game. The nature of deployable solar panels (unless there is something I missed) seems to mean that nothing can be attached to them, necessitating that the S3/P3-S6/P6 be integrated into a single part. This then necessitated a packing of the part for it us to begin to hope to place it in the shuttle cargo bay. This means that there are extensive liberties taken to the folding and movement of components, by which I mean non-realistic. Below I have placed a screenshot of the SAW in the shuttle cargo bay without the necessary docking system on the SAW. The fit is extremely tight with the airlock also in the bay, which means that with the truss docking port the end will clip into the airlock. As far as the game is concerned there are no colliders on that portion of the SAW so I don't think it will pose a problem, it just won't look very realistic.

The textures are preliminary and will be changed before release, I just wanted something to test the part with. At the moment I don't intend to add more geometry, but instead will be using a normal map to add some more detail.

Screenshot:

cmTMR6V.png

This is a video demonstrating the deployment of the SAW as well as the sun-tracking of the truss and panels individually.

Edited by TheShadow1138

Progress Update: I've finally got the Solar Array Wing (SAW) part modeled, animated, and working properly in-game. The nature of deployable solar panels (unless there is something I missed) seems to mean that nothing can be attached to them, necessitating that the S3/P3-S6/P6 be integrated into a single part. This then necessitated a packing of the part for it us to begin to hope to place it in the shuttle cargo bay. This means that there are extensive liberties taken to the folding and movement of components, by which I mean non-realistic. Below I have placed a screenshot of the SAW in the shuttle cargo bay without the necessary docking system on the SAW. The fit is extremely tight with the airlock also in the bay, which means that with the truss docking port the end will clip into the airlock. As far as the game is concerned there are no colliders on that portion of the SAW so I don't think it will pose a problem, it just won't look very realistic.

The textures are preliminary and will be changed before release, I just wanted something to test the part with. At the moment I don't intend to add more geometry, but instead will be using a normal map to add some more detail.

Screenshot:

http://imgur.com/cmTMR6V.png

This is a video demonstrating the deployment of the SAW as well as the sun-tracking of the truss and panels individually.

Very effective way to do it in 1 part. Good job!

As I just saw NASA's tweet on the completion of the SLS review showing, for the first time publicly, an orange core stage I will be making the core stage default to orange, but will provide the current white and black livery as an alternate texture for those that prefer the white and black Saturn-like livery to the bare orange insulation.

There were multiple reasons for it being shown as "painted" in the renders but it was always going to be "un-painted".

I know that, but they never really made it very obvious that it was going to be orange. You could just assume because that's what they did with the Space Shuttle ET. The white was only to remind people of the mighty Saturn V (atleast, that's what I think).

I know that, but they never really made it very obvious that it was going to be orange. You could just assume because that's what they did with the Space Shuttle ET. The white was only to remind people of the mighty Saturn V (atleast, that's what I think).

I agree, I believe that they showed it white to pay homage to the Saturn V, or to make it seem like the successor to the Saturn V.

New paint job for SLS. How ya gonna tackle it?

As I said above, I will be making the Core Stage orange as the default, but will include the white and black Saturn-like texture in a separate folder for anyone who wants that instead of the orange. I will make the Block I 5m - 3.125m interstage decoupler orange as per NASA's statement. As for the SRBs, I may try to make the changes present in the NASA images, but they're not a priority.

Progress Update: I have finished the models and texturing for the ISS Integrated Truss Structure, so these parts are ready to be put into Unity to be set up for KSP. Here are a few renders of the Truss parts.

Here are the S0 (in the middle), and S1/P1 Truss sections as well as the two docking ports, all viewed from the rear. The docking port with the yellow warning stripe will be a standard docking port, while the one with the red warning stripe will have probe core capability and built-in RCS thrusters for use with the Solar Array Wing part since you will not be able to attach any kind of RCS to that part.

UAKXeRV.png

This is the same set of parts from the front (the probe core docking port is not visible)

wm19LzH.png

Here is a close-up of the standard Truss Docking System

DJhfK5d.png

Here is the Solar Array Wing with its final texture and bump map. I have also corrected the mistake of having only one radiator.

tphTCGt.png

And, here is a close-up of the SAW:

PJGRBpF.png

Lastly, I have begun the process of remaking the textures for the Station Modules using some techniques that I have recently picked up in an attempt to have them mesh well visually with the Tantares parts that I'm sure many of you will use for the Russian Orbital Segment. So, here is the Serenity Service Module with the new texture and bump map.

z20TKXY.png

I will be remaking some of the textures for other parts with the Orion probably being the first to receive attention after the Station Modules since I plan to release the black EFT-1 version with the ISS Truss and new station module textures.

Progress Update: I have finished the models and texturing for the ISS Integrated Truss Structure, so these parts are ready to be put into Unity to be set up for KSP. Here are a few renders of the Truss parts.

Here are the S0 (in the middle), and S1/P1 Truss sections as well as the two docking ports, all viewed from the rear. The docking port with the yellow warning stripe will be a standard docking port, while the one with the red warning stripe will have probe core capability and built-in RCS thrusters for use with the Solar Array Wing part since you will not be able to attach any kind of RCS to that part.

http://imgur.com/UAKXeRV.png

This is the same set of parts from the front (the probe core docking port is not visible)

http://imgur.com/wm19LzH.png

Here is a close-up of the standard Truss Docking System

http://imgur.com/DJhfK5d.png

Here is the Solar Array Wing with its final texture and bump map. I have also corrected the mistake of having only one radiator.

http://imgur.com/tphTCGt.png

And, here is a close-up of the SAW:

http://imgur.com/PJGRBpF.png

Lastly, I have begun the process of remaking the textures for the Station Modules using some techniques that I have recently picked up in an attempt to have them mesh well visually with the Tantares parts that I'm sure many of you will use for the Russian Orbital Segment. So, here is the Serenity Service Module with the new texture and bump map.

http://imgur.com/z20TKXY.png

I will be remaking some of the textures for other parts with the Orion probably being the first to receive attention after the Station Modules since I plan to release the black EFT-1 version with the ISS Truss and new station module textures.

aaaaaaaaaah finally an entirely stockalike ISS! Waiting for it!

Hello Shadow! I was looking at your pack recently but I dislike the dark grimy textures, Do you plan on changing that?

I do plan to remake textures, maybe not all of them. I say that because I don't want to promise new textures for everything and then decide that a few are fine the way they are. I talked about this a bit more in the post above with renders of the ISS Truss Structure parts.

I have gotten all of the truss components in-game, as well as the updated textures for the station modules. I think it turned out pretty good, so I thought I'd leave some screenshots here of the full ISS made with ShadowWorks, Tantares parts, and stock parts. The only stock parts in this build are the stock cupola and the large radiator panels.

D71HEJN.png

fAdpIXr.png

klXxNLp.png

drD7lFY.png

I have gotten all of the truss components in-game, as well as the updated textures for the station modules. I think it turned out pretty good, so I thought I'd leave some screenshots here of the full ISS made with ShadowWorks, Tantares parts, and stock parts. The only stock parts in this build are the stock cupola and the large radiator panels.

http://imgur.com/D71HEJN.png

http://imgur.com/fAdpIXr.png

http://imgur.com/klXxNLp.png

http://imgur.com/drD7lFY.png

You used too small docking ports on the ROS..

Other than that great job! You may want to consider making new models for Kibo and Columbus, though.

You used too small docking ports on the ROS..

Other than that great job! You may want to consider making new models for Kibo and Columbus, though.

I hadn't planned on making Columbus and Kibo since every science lab in KSP is like every other science lab, and I didn't see much use in cluttering up people's parts catalogues with two more science lab parts when you could just use the Destiny module multiple times. Yes, then a recreated ISS would not look as close to the real thing.

If there appears to be a big call for them then I may make them in the future.

How's the Altair coming?

I haven't started modeling the Altair yet. I wanted to get the Truss done and start some of the texture revamps. I may wait until the 1.1 release to do the Altair in case anything drastic changes in how landing legs need to be setup. When I have something of Altair to show I will definitely post images.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.