[PART] [1.8.0 - 1.12+] ShadowWorks - Stockalike SLS, Delta IV, and More v2.0.5.1 Waterfall Edition [8-11-2021]

TheShadow1138

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2020 at 10:09 AM, NotMyProblem said:

Can this work in 1.10.x?

I haven't received any reports that it does not work in 1.10.x.  I don't think there's a reason it shouldn't.  Let me know if you do have issues using it in 1.10.x, I haven't tried it myself as I've been occupied with other things recently.

• 3 months later...

Is there a known issue with the ITS solar panel arrays? They never remain visibly open after vessel unload/reload, and seem to have about eight separate panels that may or may not be controllable. Sometimes the extend/retract button duplicates itself, sometimes it disappears completely. I've never gotten them to visibly track the sun properly either, though they are generating power, at least.

Edit: dMZ2SHX.png Showing what I mean by several panels glitched out

Edited by Hachiro

3 hours ago, Hachiro said:

Is there a known issue with the ITS solar panel arrays? They never remain visibly open after vessel unload/reload, and seem to have about eight separate panels that may or may not be controllable. Sometimes the extend/retract button duplicates itself, sometimes it disappears completely. I've never gotten them to visibly track the sun properly either, though they are generating power, at least.

Edit: dMZ2SHX.png Showing what I mean by several panels glitched out

I personally have not experienced this issue, but I have admittedly not tested them in a long time.  The SAW panels use nested deployable solar panel module and thermal radiator modules, which is why all of the buttons.  So, there should be a "Deploy" or "Toggle" button for each panel (x4), a fifth for the non-collecting, or "enclosing" sun-tracker, and then a sixth for the radiator.  This was the best solution at the time, without adding dependencies, or writing my own plugin, which I was not comfortable with at the time.

The only issue that I noticed in my initial testing of the SAWs was that in time warp, or just over time the panels would move out of alignment, but retracting them and re-deploying them would fix that.  I never had the toggle buttons disappear entirely.  It looks like you are using KSP Recall and maybe BD Armory.  It could be that KSP Recall is causing an issue with the nested solar panels in the config.

What version of KSP are you using?  Are there any steps to replication, or just a vessel packing/unpacking?

32 minutes ago, TheShadow1138 said:

I personally have not experienced this issue, but I have admittedly not tested them in a long time.  The SAW panels use nested deployable solar panel module and thermal radiator modules, which is why all of the buttons.  So, there should be a "Deploy" or "Toggle" button for each panel (x4), a fifth for the non-collecting, or "enclosing" sun-tracker, and then a sixth for the radiator.  This was the best solution at the time, without adding dependencies, or writing my own plugin, which I was not comfortable with at the time.

The only issue that I noticed in my initial testing of the SAWs was that in time warp, or just over time the panels would move out of alignment, but retracting them and re-deploying them would fix that.  I never had the toggle buttons disappear entirely.  It looks like you are using KSP Recall and maybe BD Armory.  It could be that KSP Recall is causing an issue with the nested solar panels in the config.

What version of KSP are you using?  Are there any steps to replication, or just a vessel packing/unpacking?

I'm on KSP 1.10.1, I am indeed using both of those mods as well. Replication is fairly simple, just swapping from then back to the station far enough away to unload it will cause the panels to be retracted, but the mount to be rotated into tracked position on reload. Mostly lately I've seen two or three retract buttons, and clicking them causes one extend and one retract button to pop up. Clicking the extend button almost always causes it to simply disappear, and going through all of the retracts until they hit 8 buttons, then re-extending them causes them all to disappear. 

Spoiler
17 hours ago, Hachiro said:

JKwWuv0.pngDrMwjtV.png<As found on load-in. Both panels had effectively identical readouts

Kb1zn2K.png< Kept clicking retract panel until it stopped appearing

MogILGH.png<Clicked extend panel and let it fully extend. Other side behaves the same way.

I'll do some tests and see what I can come up with in the way of what's going on and how to fix it, hopefully.

Update:  I've done some testing and I think it has to do with the fact that I used only one animation for each deployment.  I think that when the "Extend Panel" buttons are  clicked in quick succession that the animation keeps getting started over and only the first, or last deployment registers as fully extended.  This then leaves the others in a constant state of "Status: Extending...".  There is a temporary workaround while I work on getting this completely fixed.  If you click each "Extend Panel" button one at a time while letting the entire animation play before pressing the next "Extend Panel" button, and repeating.  This will take much longer to deploy the panels, but it will still be deployed after unload/reload or packing/unpacking.  I'm going to keep playing with it so that the procedure is not so complicated/time consuming.

Edited by TheShadow1138

ShadowWorks v2.0.4 Update/Fix:  Spacedock Download

Changes 2.0.4
--------------
ISS SAW Fix thanks to Hachiro
    * Re-exported the ISS SAW (Solar Array Wing) part
        * Now uses a single attachment node (no longer surface attach)
        * PAW text updated for easier readability and more informative operation
        * Deploying the Array plays the full deployment animation once, while the panels won't actually rotate independently and collect sunlight until they are activated.
        * Should remain deployed regardless of a packing/unpacking operation, so no more having to redeploy after the game packs and unpacks the vessel.

Many thanks to @Hachiro for bringing this to my attention.  I never really liked how the Solar Array Wing part deployed, but it worked, or at least it did.  At some point since the initial release of the SAW and other ISS parts if you quickly extended all of the arrays, only the first or last would actually work because the game apparently only registered one fully deploying.  I believe this was due to the fact that I had a single animation that was being used by all of the arrays/radiators, so the animation was getting played over and over and over, and the game only registered one full deployment.  This means that you could end up in a situation where you have a huge solar array deployed, but it won't charge anything.  That has been fixed!!!

The PAW is much more sane and labeled.  You can now safely attach all toggles to an action group, or quickly activate each panel without having to worry about whether or not it will function properly.  First deploy the array, then activate the panels and radiators as quickly, or as leisurely as you wish, it works as expected now.  There was also an issue where the array would not stay deployed after moving focus away from the vessel with the array and back again, and it would not allow redeployment.  This too should also be a thing of the past.  Let me know if any new bugs have popped up, and happy launchings!

Edited by TheShadow1138

1 hour ago, u0fw said:

Does the updated version work properly on 1.11.0? I launched with the mod installed, and only the airlock parts loaded in the VAB.

If you are using a career or science-mode save you will have to research the parts for them to show up.  If you are using a sandbox save the parts should show up without issue.  I tested the update in 1.11.0 and all the parts show up in my test sandbox save.

Hi!

Is this mod compatible with 2.5 scale solar system?? :/ 

I would love to use it in it!

P.S. thank you sooo much for updating!!!!!1111 :D :D :D I can finally use a mod compatible with 1.11!! :D 

Edited by SpaceX_Boi

1 minute ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

Hi!

Is this mod compatible with 2.5 scale solar system?? :/ 

I would love to use it in it!

I balanced the parts to the stock system.  I don't use any system scaling mods myself and don't have any compatibility patches for scaled systems.  I am not aware of any that others have made either.  The launchers do sometimes feel a little over-powered for the stock system, though that could just be me, so it may work just fine in a 2.5x scaled system.  You can always give it a try, it may work just fine, but I can't promise that it will work in a 2.5x scaled system.  Sorry.

4 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

For me in JNSQ, the Aumn-Ra Block I gets to a 100x100 orbit with 400m/s left in the service module. 

Yeah, that's kind of what I was afraid of; that you'd be able to get to orbit, but then not have enough ∆v to do anything else.

I think it may finally be time for me to seriously look into making a JNSQ patch for ShadowWorks.  I'm currently in the middle of development of a warp drive mod (TrekDrive), so I'm not sure when I will get around to this, but I'll see what I can do.  I'd also like to do Waterfall configs for my engines, and I'm still working on figuring out the in-game editor there, so maybe both of those compatibility patches will come together.  No timeline on when, but I think it should be doable.

ShadowWorks 2.0.4.1 - Connected Living Space Update

Changes 2.0.4.1

* Added Connected Living Space (CLS) compatibility (will only work if CLS is installed)

I had never officially supported Connected Living Space since stock crew transfer  was available by the time I published ShadowWorks initially, but it has come to my attention that some prefer CLS to stock crew transfer for added realism.  For this reason, I made a quick compatibility patch that should add CLS to the appropriate parts in ShadowWorks. 

Happy launchings!

• 8 months later...

ShadowWorks v2.0.5.1

Changes 2.0.5.1
* Re-added the Connected Living Spaces compatibility patch after accidentally leaving it out of v2.0.5

Changes 2.0.5
* Added Waterfall FX compatibility patch - converts all engines and RCS thrusters except for SRBs to Waterfall FX.
* Fixed texture issue with the 5m Amun-Ra (SLS) Fairing.  The texture will now appear correctly in 1.12+.
* Updated the SSMEMount part to use transform-based attachment nodes.

Just a quick update to add Waterfall compatibility for all liquid fueled engines, and corrected a texture issue with the 5m SLS fairing base.

I can't seem to find the adapter that seperates the Exploration Upper Stage with the Service Module I think it's called the Universal Stage Adapter, I checked every single item in Coupling, Science, etc. and I found nothing. Even typed it in the searchbar.

Edit: Also, it's really hard to attach the fairing wall to the SM, and you need to open the solar panels one by one on the SM.

Edited by ksp player

12 hours ago, ksp player said:

I can't seem to find the adapter that seperates the Exploration Upper Stage with the Service Module I think it's called the Universal Stage Adapter, I checked every single item in Coupling, Science, etc. and I found nothing. Even typed it in the searchbar.

To attach the Orion Service Module to the Exploration Upper Stage use the 5m Amun-Ra Fairing.  It has three variants and nodes for attaching the SM fairing walls.  It should be under "Cargo".

Edit: Also, it's really hard to attach the fairing wall to the SM, and also to attach the Launch Escape Tower to the CM.

To attach the SM fairing walls you need to attach them either to the SM decoupler (SLS Block I SM decoupler), or the 5m Amun-Ra Fairing Base.  These two parts have three attach nodes for the fairing walls.  Simply select the SM fairing wall, rotate it 180º, change symmetry to 3 (really anything other than 1) and attach to the node facing the camera in the VAB, and you should be good to go.

As for the Launch Escape Tower, it is in two parts (the top with the jettison motors and the bottom with the abort motors and the boost protective cover).  Attach the top of the tower to the CM first, so you will have a spire floating over the CM, then attach the bottom of the Launch Escape Tower to the upper part of the Launch Escape Tower.  Hope that helps get you flying.

6 hours ago, TheShadow1138 said:

To attach the Orion Service Module to the Exploration Upper Stage use the 5m Amun-Ra Fairing.

I figured it out, but another problem, with the SRB decouplers, it's really hard to get the struts to connect, because most of the time one strut isn't touching the tank, and the other strut clips through the tank.

Edited by ksp player

10 hours ago, ksp player said:

I figured it out, but another problem, with the SRB decouplers, it's really hard to get the struts to connect, because most of the time one strut isn't touching the tank, and the other strut clips through the tank.

I assume you mean the struts that are on the SRB decoupler models.  Are you using the attachment nodes to attach the decouplers?  I just did a quick check and the 4-segment and 5-segment SRB decouplers' modeled struts sit flush against the SLS core stage tank.  Regardless, the struts modeled on the decouplers are cosmetic and do not actually serve a structural role.  You will still need to use struts to prevent the SRBs from flopping around, but they can be placed so that they are not very noticeable.

Now, if you're using the SRB decouplers on other tanks (stock or other mods) I cannot guarantee that they will sit flush and look as though they are connected to the tank since I modeled them with the SLS and External Tanks so that they would look right with them.  Now, those tanks are 5m diameter tanks, so I suppose any 5m tank would work fine, as long as the decouplers are placed properly.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2021 at 6:57 PM, Aussie Toad Stool said:

@TheShadow1138 Quick question, what size is the orion capsule in this mod?

The Orion capsule is 3.124m in diameter.  It's a very non-standard size I know, but I based everything off of having the SLS Core Stage be 5m in diameter.  I may be misremembering the reason as it's been quite a while since I made the model, but I'm pretty sure that's the reason for the size.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.