[PART] [1.8.0 - 1.12+] ShadowWorks - Stockalike SLS, Delta IV, and More v2.0.5.1 Waterfall Edition [8-11-2021]

TheShadow1138

Looks great! I love it!
Awesome!

Many thanks. I think Orion looks much better than before. Hopefully other texture revamps will equally improve those parts.

Got it, I understand.

Have you thought about making an Ares V?

I have given some thought to the Ares V before. The biggest thing that has been keeping me from doing it so far is that, when you get right down to it, The SLS pretty much is the Ares V. The core stages are pretty much identical, though the Ares V did go through a re-engining from 5x RS-25s to 6x RS-68s. I could really just add another attachment node to the SLS Core Stage Engine mount to allow another SSME to be attached giving everyone an Ares V Core Stage.

The second stage of the Ares V is a bit of an issue. i did some cursory research today to refresh my memory on the specifics of the Ares V Earth Departure Stage (EDS) and I couldn't find much data, and what I could find didn't make much sense. The Wikipedia article doesn't give any real dimensions for the EDS, and Astronautix.com (if I was looking at the right thing) says that it was to have a 10.0m diameter, which would be 1.6m wider than the Core Stage. Images I have seen of the Ares V show either an EDS with a slightly smaller diameter than the Core Stage, or equal in diameter.

Really, I think that the Block II SLS fills the role intended for the Ares V. I think I will add the extra node to the engine mount, then you could use 2x J-2X engines on the EUS, or use the 4X RL-10C. If I can find some better information on the Ares V EDS then it may come in the future, but I don't think its really needed.

Texturing Update: I have completed the diffuse texture revamp of the Block I SLS, I still need to update the specular maps and update the normal map for the Core Stage.

Here is a render:

fpNtrdu.png

Every part in that image has had its texture updated including the Service Module and Spacecraft Adapter.

Edited by TheShadow1138

It is my pleasure to unveil the updated textures with in-game screenshots along with the EFT-1 black Orion.

If I remember correctly, I just need to finish up the specular and normal map for the station airlock module and get it into Unity and in-game and I should be ready to release an update.

I am planning on updating the station modules to remove the airlocks since 1.0.5 will remove the need for airlocks to transfer crew. If 1.0.5 releases before I get the texture revamp and truss parts update released I will make sure the update to the station modules is done before I release, if not I will release them as a small update.

Edited by TheShadow1138

By any chance, can you please provide a download link for all of us to try for ourselves or is it still in works? Anything would be appreciated; thank you!

I'm still putting finishing touches on the update. I need to finish the station airlock part and do some tweaking of the station module textures to remove the hatches in preparation for 1.0.5. All of the SLS parts, in the white and black color scheme, are currently available in the download on the first page of the thread.

Edited by TheShadow1138

Version 1.3 Update:

Changes 1.3:

â€â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€

* Added S0 Truss Segment

* Added S1/P1 Truss Segment

* Added ISS SAW Truss Segment - NOTE: There are 7 “Extend†buttons in the part’s right-click menu, I know it is cumbersome, but as far as I know it is necessary to make the part work as intended without any plug-ins.

* Added Truss Docking System

* Added Probe Core Truss Docking System - Has RCS thrusters and propellant

* Added Odyssey Airlock

* Added EFT-1 version of the Orion Pod

* Added EFT-1 version of the Orion CM Cap

* Removed Airlocks from Destiny, Harmony, & Providence Modules (in preparation for 1.0.5)

* Extensive Texture Revamp

* SLS Core Stage changed to Orange

* SLS EUS changed to Orange

* ICPS texture updated due to Orange Interstage

* Orion CM & SM textures updated

* LAS and Orion Solar Panels texture updated

* SRB textures updated

* External Tank texture updated in line with the SLS Core Stage

* SLS Liquid Booster texture updated

* Station Module textures updated to remove hatches

* Station Module normal maps updated to not be as harsh

Are you going to be tweaking/adding additional things to the parachute, for instance real chute. So you don't hit 15 gs when you open the parachutes.

I have been meaning to have a look at the parachute to see if there's anything I can tweak, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I haven't looked into RealChute support, but I could look into it.

Next update I'd say give real plume support.

I've been taking a look at RealChute and RealPlume, and I think that I will be including ModuleManager patches to add support for both mods in the next update. Just to clarify, RealChute and RealPlume will not be required for this mod to work, they will just be supported for those that use them.

Edited by TheShadow1138

Alright, I think I'll edit the files to use the Solar trusses.

Also, I think I found out why these rockets are so inefficient.

The F-1B (A Gas generator Kero/LOX engine) is more efficient than the RL-10 (A cryogenic LOX/LH2 engine)!!! Make the LH2 engines (RS-68, RL-10, J-2, RS-25, etc) at least have a 420 ISP. (RL-10 is around 460)

Alright, I think I'll edit the files to use the Solar trusses.

Is there something wrong with the SAW truss part?

Also, I think I found out why these rockets are so inefficient.

The F-1B (A Gas generator Kero/LOX engine) is more efficient than the RL-10 (A cryogenic LOX/LH2 engine)!!! Make the LH2 engines (RS-68, RL-10, J-2, RS-25, etc) at least have a 420 ISP. (RL-10 is around 460)

The reason the F-1B needs to be more efficient is that in real life RP-1 and LOX have a lower average specific impulse than LH2 and LOX. You get a higher average exhaust velocity from less propellant with an LH2/LOX mixture than with an RP-1/LOX mixture. Now, in KSP there is no difference in the fuel, so if I want the performance that is necessary to perform the missions these rockets are meant to perform, the efficiencies will not behave as they would in real life. Keep in mind also, that propellant consumption is a function of Isp and Thrust. For example, the SSME in my mod (at sea level) consumes about 425 kg of propellant per second, while the F-1B in the mod consumes about 1460 kg of propellant per second. For comparison, the real RS-25D (at sea level) consumes about 518 kg/s while the F-1 consumes about 2624 kg/s. So, the performance of the engines in the mod should be comparable to their comparative real-life performance.

Also, the SAW sometimes doesn't deploy.

- - - Updated - - -

What I meant was I'll just use the Trusses not the rest of the parts.

For the SAW, you can either set an action group to toggle all seven, or you will have to extend all seven manually through the right-click menu. It's not the mod ideal solution, but for now it seems to be the only way to get the truss to rotate with the panels rotating independently without using a plugin.

What happens is that when I go up to my ISS replica one is deployed, the other isn't.

That's odd. Can you deploy the second one after you've gone back to the station? I'm not sure what could be causing that behavior. I'll do some texting when I get the chance. Is anyone else having a similar issue?

I've done some more testing with the ISS Solar Array Wing (SAW) to find the cause of an issue where the array would be stowed upon returning to the station from the space center, or another flight. This happens when you do not extend all seven panels (the truss, 4 solar arrays, and 2 radiators). Since the same animation is attached to all seven components it seems that the game is reverting to the stowed state because one or more of the components was never extended. To prevent this from happening make sure you click all 7 "Extend" buttons in the right-click menu for the part. On another note, I discovered another slight quirk where if you leave the station to return to the space center, or another fight and time warp, the panels will flip immediately to the sun that could cause the panels to become mis aligned (they are no longer perpendicular to the truss). The panels still work, it may just look funny. To fix it simply retract all 7 and re-extend them and all will be well.

While performing the tests relating to the above issue, I discovered just how difficult to control the probe-core truss docking system is, leading me to change a few things. The next update will include the fixed docking system with new RCS thruster placement and a decreased RCS thrust. The next update will also include two ModuleManager patches for RealPlume and RealChute, as well as tweaks to the Orion pods and heat shields so that they perform better during re-entry and float more correctly with the new buoyancy. I have also added the new hydrolox effects for the stock "Vector" SSME to my version of the SSME, which will also be included in the next update, which may come later tonight, or sometime in the next day or two.

I thought I'd share my tentative plans for the v1.4 update to ShadowWorks.

Tentative Plans for ShadowWorks v1.4

• 5m Earth Departure Stage LF Tank (with bump map for forward and aft stringers)
  • 2x Engine Mount for J-2X (for 2 engined EDS)
  • Single Engine Mount for J-2X (for single engined EDS)
  • Shorter 5m Interstage Decoupler (for EDS)
  • Altair Descent Stage (5m diameter)
  • Altair Ascent Stage (prone cylinder version)
  • Altair Landing Leg
  • Jupiter Core Engine Mount (four mounting points)
  • Add at least 1 node to the top of the 5m fairing base to allow stacking of Orion above a concealed payload
  • Jupiter Upper Stage w/6x 1.25m mount points for RL-10B engines (May need another interstage decoupler)

What I may do, since I'd like to wait until KSP 1.1 releases to see what changes are made to how landing legs are handled, is that if I complete the other parts before 1.1 releases I'll release everything but the landing legs as version 1.4, and then release the landing legs with the first update after KSP 1.1 is released.

Edited by TheShadow1138

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.