[PART] [1.8.0 - 1.12+] ShadowWorks - Stockalike SLS, Delta IV, and More v2.0.5.1 Waterfall Edition [8-11-2021]

TheShadow1138

[quote name='Sgt.Shutesie']Will you be changing the Orion decoupler to add the umbilical as well? Which would include making a small hole in the bottom of the LES.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any plans to add the umbilical connector to the CM decoupler. I know it would be more realistic and probably add some emersion, but it's not necessary for KSP. It's kind of similar to the extending nozzles on the RL-10 engines in my opinion.

[size=3][b]Updated to version 1.3.1[/b][/size]
Changes 1.3.1:
———————
* Changed the RCS thrust transforms on the Probe-core Truss Docking System - now easier to control
* Gave the Probe-core Truss Docking System more electric charge
* Changed SSME particle effects to the new stock hydrolox effects.
* Tweaked Orion pods for better performance during re-entry.
* Updated Orion pods for the new buoyancy model.
* Added ModuleManager configs for RealChute and RealPlume compatibility - if you don’t use either, they can of course be safely deleted.

I noticed when I open some of the parts, especially the fuel tanks, there is no fuel and I am using real fuels. It has worked before but since the texture change on the fuel tanks and boosters, there is no fuel.

Update: Some of the SRBs work when I use them with an alternate launcher instead. Can you double check if the fuel tanks are missing a resource like liquid fuel, oxidizer, etc please?

[quote name='Avedis']I noticed when I open some of the parts, especially the fuel tanks, there is no fuel and I am using real fuels. It has worked before but since the texture change on the fuel tanks and boosters, there is no fuel.

Update: Some of the SRBs work when I use them with an alternate launcher instead. Can you double check if the fuel tanks are missing a resource like liquid fuel, oxidizer, etc please?[/QUOTE]

I've checked the files I uploaded and all tanks have the same Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer they have had for a while now. I don't use Real Fuels so I'm not sure what could be causing this issue. Try deleting all of the ShadowWorks files, re-downloading and re-installing ShadowWorks. I can't think of anything that would suddenly cause them to stop working after the texture update as all that was done for most of the tanks was replacing their texture files, a few had to be re-exported to and from Unity because of UV map changes, but I didn't touch the configs.

[quote name='RoketMan']Is there a possible way I can change the texture of my SLS tank? I'm not sure if all the other mods amusing have updated to 1.0 .5, so I'm tentative to try and update.[/QUOTE]

I assume you want the white tank instead of the orange tank. If this is the case, look inside the folder titled "ShadowWorks_Stockalike_SLS_1_3_1" (the file you downloaded from KerbalStuff) and you should find a folder named "AlternateSLSWhiteTextures". Inside that folder are four (4) more folders, each named the same as the part folder in the "ShadowWorks/Parts" folder, and they are "EUS", "ICPS", "SLSCoreStage", and "SRBs". To get the white textures back simply replace the textures in the "ShadowWorks/Parts" folder with the ones in the "AlternateSLSWhiteTexutres" folder. For example, replace "ShadowWorks/Parts/EUS/EUSBump_NRM.dds" and "ShadowWorks/Parts/EUS/EUSColor.dds" with "AlternateSLSWhiteTexutres/EUS/EUSBump_NRM.dds" and "AlternateSLSWhiteTextures/EUS/EUSColor.dds" and so on for the ICPS, SLSCoreStage, and SRBs.

[quote name='RoketMan']Although I was wondering if you could edit the thrust curve esaly (as a user). Your help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

To edit the engines, you only need to open their ".cfg" files in a text editing program. Getting the thrust curve of the engines to be what you want them to be can be a little tricky. The amount of thrust the engine provides, in KSP, depends on the "maxThrust" defined in the config file, the "minThrust" (it is 0 (zero) unless one is provided), and the "atmosphereCurve". The atmosphereCurve typically has 2 "key" values, which represent the specific impulse (Isp) at sea level and in vacuum.

atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 390 //This is the Isp in a vacuum
key = 1 180 //This is the Isp at sea level
}

The thinner the atmosphere gets the more thrust you get until you reach near vacuum at which point the engine thrust is the "maxThrust". The atmosphereCurve helps determine how efficient an engine is based on how much propellant is consumed and how much thrust is exerted in that process. So if you want to change the engine's performance you will likely be editing 2-3 values in the config file, "maxThrust" and the two "key" values in the "atmosphereCurve".

Changing the "maxThrust" alone will have more consequences than simply being able to lift the rocket faster. If you change only the "maxThrust" and nothing else, the propellant will be consumed sooner. This is due to the relationship of thrust to Isp and propellant consumption, which is given by the following equation:

T = g[sub]o[/sub]I[sub]sp[/sub]m_dot

Where "T" is thrust, "g[sub]o[/sub]" is acceleration due to gravity at Earth's surface, "I[sub]sp[/sub]" is the engine's specific impulse, and "m_dot" is the propellant consumption rate (the mass of propellant consumed per second). We can rearrange the equation to see what affect changes in "T" and/or "I[sub]sp[/sub]" will have on "m_dot"

m_dot = T/(g[sub]o[/sub]I[sub]sp[/sub])

If we doubled the thrust of an engine, the equation would look like this:

m_dot' = 2T/(g[sub]o[/sub]I[sub]sp[/sub])

Which is gives us: m_dot' = 2*m_dot. This means that by doubling the thrust, we have doubled the propellant consumption. Similarly, if you double the I[sub]sp[/sub], you would cut the propellant consumption in half. So, if you wanted propellant consumption to remain the same, you would have to change the "maxThrust" and the I[sub]sp[/sub] values by the same factor. To an extent it is kind of trial-and-error, looking for what gives you the performance you want. You could start by choosing the "maxThrust", setup the launcher they way you want, and test fly them. You can them start playing with the "atmosphereCurve" to improve or decrease the efficiency of the engines. I apologize for the long-winded explanation, but I thought it might help if you want to alter the engines, to know what would happen and why when you start changing things in the config files. I hope this helps.

[quote name='RoketMan']Is it possible to add real plume support? I just think it would be cool to see these boosters with it. You don't have to implement it into the mod if you don't want to.[/QUOTE]
There is currently real plume and real chute support. Just get the new update.

[quote name='RoketMan']Is it possible to add real plume support? I just think it would be cool to see these boosters with it. You don't have to implement it into the mod if you don't want to.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just as Sgt. said, there's an update with RealPlume and RealChute and trust me.... it will blow your hair back (if you have any).

[quote name='RoketMan']OK, it's official: version 3.1 isn't on CKAN. This time I did a refresh it to make sure.[/QUOTE]

I just checked the CKAN-meta list of mods and it appears to have ShadowWorks 1.3.1 listed. You may want to try refreshing CKAN (if that's possible, I don't use it myself), or you could always download it directly from KerbalStuff.

I like to figure out that I'm missing something by reading what's inside the mod folder. I get a chance to look at the mod before I put into my Game Data folder. For me, using CKAN on Linux is like trying to pedal a tricycle with no seat. You can do it, but it will be very painful way to get somewhere. I know that there are some Linux users out there that use CKAN with no problems. As for me, I'm getting to old for that stuff.

[quote name='RoketMan']Is the Zaria module called the Zaria module? If so please add it, because I can't find it! It's kind of hard to do in ISS re-creation without the first module. :([/QUOTE]

guess you mean zarya (FGB). [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zarya]Wiki-Link[/url]

[quote name='trooperMNG']Nice work man! Finally a good and reliable stockalike shuttle. The only problem is (but I have seen that you revamped some of them) some textures looks very basic (like orange tanks in Anhur, for example).[/QUOTE]

Thank you, and I'm glad you like it, the shuttle wasn't always as reliable as it is now. Some of the textures are pretty simplistic, particularly that of the Anhur upper stage tank. As far as that one goes, most images of it represent a fairly uninteresting exterior with the exception of NASA and other program insignia, which would be out of place in a stockalike mod. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the texture? If so, I would be more than willing to see what can be done to make the parts look better.

[quote name='RoketMan']Is the Zaria module called the Zaria module? If so please add it, because I can't find it! It's kind of hard to do in ISS re-creation without the first module. :([/QUOTE]

My mod doesn't include the parts necessary to build the Russian Orbital Segment, for that I would highly recommend the [URL=http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81537-1-0-4-Tantares-Stockalike-Soyuz-and-MIR-29-27-06-2015-PPTS-Dev]Tantares Mod[/URL] by Beale to build Zarya, Zvezda, Pirs, Piosk, and so forth.

[quote name='TheShadow1138']Thank you, and I'm glad you like it, the shuttle wasn't always as reliable as it is now. Some of the textures are pretty simplistic, particularly that of the Anhur upper stage tank. As far as that one goes, most images of it represent a fairly uninteresting exterior with the exception of NASA and other program insignia, which would be out of place in a stockalike mod. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the texture? If so, I would be more than willing to see what can be done to make the parts look better.

My mod doesn't include the parts necessary to build the Russian Orbital Segment, for that I would highly recommend the [URL=http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81537-1-0-4-Tantares-Stockalike-Soyuz-and-MIR-29-27-06-2015-PPTS-Dev]Tantares Mod[/URL] by Beale to build Zarya, Zvezda, Pirs, Piosk, and so forth.[/QUOTE]

Maybe some external fuel lines and decorative bits like the STS orange tank

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.