Newbie Needs Help!!! Please help me take/find screenshots!! This has been Answered!! Thanks!!

Korbit

So I made my first successful orbit of Kerbin and have no screenshots to remember it by! I hit F1 about 50 times during the orbit, and I couldn't wait to check out my screenshots. Upon opening the screenshots folder in KSP_win my heart sank...it was empty! :(

Is there something simple I'm doing wrong? I've searched the Wiki, and the Forums. I posted in the Unmodded Support about 6 hours ago, but no replies yet.

I don't even want to pass anymore milestones within the game until I get this fixed.

Edited by Korbit
Post has been Answered

Welcome to the forums. First off, are you running on a Mac? If so, the function keys are bound to OS stuff like volume, display brightness, etc. if that's the case, you'll want to press Fn and then F1. There's also a setting under Keyboard in System Preferences that swaps the function keys, in other words meaning that to access the special functions you press Fn, and the keys work like normal function keys. If you run Windows or Linux, or if this isn't the problem, another solution is to rebind the screenshot key (do this in Settings > Controls > Game) to something like a numpad key or one of the keys on the edge of the keyboard like ~ or \. (Everything else is taken by the controls. This game is complicated.) If all else fails, try reinstalling.

If you're on a Windows machine, move the KSP folder out of Program Files. If you're trying to run the game from there, Windows stashes screenshorts and saved game files in bizarre places.

There are PC laptops that have the same issue where you need to use the Function key with F1 for screenshots, quick save, and other function key KSP commands.

Yeah. I play on a MacBook Pro, so function keys can be a pain-though I've grown so used to it that whenever I visit my friend's house (He has a Windows desktop) I always get confused because I can't find the Fn key :)

If you're on a Windows machine, move the KSP folder out of Program Files. If you're trying to run the game from there, Windows stashes screenshorts and saved game files in bizarre places.

THANK YOU Vanamonde!!

I've had many good suggestions on this thread and a duplicate thread in Unmodded Support, but this is the answer!!

Now if I can find and recover all those screenshots I took of my first successful orbit of Kerbin. :)

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help.

I hope to "pay it forward" as I learn enough to be helpful.

Now if I can find and recover all those screenshots I took of my first successful orbit of Kerbin. :)

Maybe try and search "*.png"... then come back 10 hours later, then spend another 1 hour trying to decipher what is or isn't one of your screenshots? :P

Maybe try and search "*.png"... then come back 10 hours later, then spend another 1 hour trying to decipher what is or isn't one of your screenshots? :P

It wasn't that hard. After fixing the problem I opened the screenshots folder and noted that they were named screenshot0, screenshot1, etc.

I did the search for screenshot, and went to make a cup of coffee. All the screenshots were in a folder named "Virtual Store" within the AppData directory. Go figure!! :)

Thanks for weighing in!