[Gripe] Asteroid Day "problems"

Xyphos

Ok so I installed "Asteroid Day" and I like it BUT the HECS2 module has Target Tracking and as it should, when targeting Kerbin with SAS, the "Up" position on the unit faces Kerbin and since the Infrared Camera is Stack-Only, it means either place it on a Surface-Mounted Girder or the camera will be pointing the wrong way. Likewise for the new Antenna, due to the way it folds, it has to be mounted on the top of the probe in order for it to point to Kerbin. Also, the larger solar panels aren't enough to power "Dawn" so they're next to useless for this project.

I only ask that Surface Mounting support be added to the Infrared Camera

-or-

add stack nodes to the sides of the probe core

I'm not sure how to fix the Antenna issue, and the power output of the new solar panels should be upped to a minimum of 3 or 4.

ivduTmq.jpg

Edited by Xyphos

I see your Problem and understand what you mean.

You could place the parts on top of the Probecore and rotate it round by 90°.

This would make the camera face the right direction but would also make it look more like a contraption than a high-tech space probe :)

But yeah. The System works, just not quite as intended with the Parts facing 90° in the wrong direction.

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

Well... you could go with the standard approach for surface mounting stack only items. Stick it on a cubic strut, surface mount the strut then gizmo it to hide the strut. Not sure a side mounted stack node would help you all that much. I know past versions of KSP had some weird quirks with that, the 6 way hub a prime example, although I havent actualy used that thing in 1.x so not sure if they managed to work that out. Prety sure it was an issue with the core engien so my hopes wouldnt be high.

If you're okay with mods check out Editor Extensions. It will let you surface attach any part to anything... It gives you additional options while cludgineering in the VAB and SPH. Can't live without it now that I've tried it.

I don't mind mods as long as it doesn't fly the ship for you or alter the gameplay. I use visual aids such as Kerbal Engineer and others, but this Editor Extensions thing is pretty nifty. thanks!

Does it matter what direction the antenna is pointed? I didn't think it did.

My fix for the telescope was as already suggested: Stick it on top of the craft and use the rotate tool on it.

I dare you to watch Satellite TV with the Satellite pointed at the ground, come back and tell me if it matters.

KSP just doesn't implement such physics, but it matters a whole lot.

Edited by Xyphos

I dare you to watch Satellite TV with the Satellite pointed at the ground, come back and tell me if it matters.

KSP just doesn't implement such physics, but it matters a whole lot.

So, like Foxster said, it really doesn't matter.

So, like Foxster said, it really doesn't matter.

Guys, please dont turn this into a Realism vs. Gameplay discussion :)

But I wonder.

If you would place a JR Docking Port on the Side of the Probe-Core (the same side, your Telescope and Antenna are pointing), tell it to control from here and point it at Kerbin...

I wonder if that would work.

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

But I wonder.

If you would place a JR Docking Port on the Side of the Probe-Core (the same side, your Telescope and Antenna are pointing), tell it to control from here and point it at Kerbin...

THAT is a very interesting idea, not only would it fix the targeting issue, it could also provide a mounting point for launching.

Here, have some rep.

The telescope is supposed to stack on top of the hecs module with the big flat solar panels acting as a sun shield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinel_Space_Telescope

supposed to indeed. except KSP targeting would unrealistically point the camera 90 degrees away from Kerbin, where it is supposed to be watching.

I know it doesn't matter in KSP, but the idea is to emulate the real-life scenario and here, it fails to do so properly.

Edited by Xyphos

But I wonder.

It should work.

Place the Junior docking port the way the telescope is facing.

Target Kerbin.

"Control from here." on Jr Docking Port

Choose the right pilot skill.

And it should point at the target.

Also the panels don't seem to be meant to power the ion engines. They don't rotate, so you would have to place them all over the probe. Better use the ones that can track the sun.

Edited by Veeltch

Apologies of this is off at a bit of a tangent, but. ..

I lnow the direction Sentinel is pointing in is not an issue in KSP, which makes sense to me for game play reasons and avoiding unnecessary processing demands.

If the Sentinel is in a lower orbit around the sun than Kerbin (or Earth) then it will orbit faster.

As I inderstand it Sentinel scans 'space' in the region of Kerbin orbit, so pointing it constantly at Kerbin will cause it to 'spin' as it orbits and actually limit it's scanning area. What it needs to do is point constantly directly away from the Sun, so it scans the whole sky each time it orbits the Sun. This way a few Sentinels spaced around the same orbit can watch the whole sky constantly.

Apologies of this is off at a bit of a tangent, but. ..

I lnow the direction Sentinel is pointing in is not an issue in KSP, which makes sense to me for game play reasons and avoiding unnecessary processing demands.

If the Sentinel is in a lower orbit around the sun than Kerbin (or Earth) then it will orbit faster.

As I inderstand it Sentinel scans 'space' in the region of Kerbin orbit, so pointing it constantly at Kerbin will cause it to 'spin' as it orbits and actually limit it's scanning area. What it needs to do is point constantly directly away from the Sun, so it scans the whole sky each time it orbits the Sun. This way a few Sentinels spaced around the same orbit can watch the whole sky constantly.

ah-ha! good point!

like a light-house that has more than 1 beam of light, multiple probes would be required due to the faster orbit.

however, the probe would still have to rotate away from the sun as it's in orbit.

ah-ha! good point!

like a light-house that has more than 1 beam of light, multiple probes would be required due to the faster orbit.

however, the probe would still have to rotate away from the sun as it's in orbit.

Yes it would, absolutely IRL, but in KSP it's not an issue (for reasons given elsewhere), we just have to 'assume' it does it anyway.

Though you could possibly simulate it by setting your SAS orientation so it turns away from the Sun when you switch to the vessel. It won't work when on rails though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.