New Kerizons: Race to Eeloo

In honor of you-know-what arriving at you-know-where, i have created a celebration challenge to commemorate the space probe's historic trek by seeing who can reach Eeloo the fastest!

Note: There are actually 2 challenges: Unmanned and Manned.

Here, i lay down the rules for Unmanned:

1. No mods, except for aesthetic enhancement (TextureReplacer, EVE, HotRockets...etc.)

2. Do not cheat. If you are found to have cheated, you will be DQ'd forever and ever.

3. There are no building limitations, use as many parts as you like.

4. There is no time limit, only those who get to Eeloo faster than the rest.

5: Scoring system is person with shortest MET upon Eeloo closest approach while in its SOI.

And now the rules for Manned:

1. No mods, except for aesthetic enhancement (TextureReplacer, EVE, HotRockets...etc.)

2. Do not cheat. If you are found to have cheated, you will be DQ'd forever and ever.

3. There are no building limitations, use as many parts as you like.

4. There is no time limit, only those who get to Eeloo and back faster than the rest.

5: Scoring system is person with shortest MET upon Kerbin surface recovery.

6: Return to Kerbin is mannedatory. If you just strand a Kerb on Eeloo and leave him there, it won't count.

7: You must have a Kerbal walk on Eeloo's surface at least 1 time in the mission.

Gentlemen, start your rocket engines!

My entry.You HAVE to make an exception or change the rules.It should be more like: "No mods that alter gameplay." Because TWP, KAC, KER, KJR don't do that in any way, they're just practical.That is just too many restrictions, my friend.

Anyways, my glorious probe Old Horizons.Because why not? The expected distance of New Horizons flyby is approximately 6200km.So i scaled down my encounter to kerbal proportions (basically divided by 10) and i set up a approximately 620km encounter.Warning! Album pic heavy!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Total mission time: 9y and 133d

From launch to unfortuantely escaping Kerbin's SOI.

Edited by Candlelight

• 3 weeks later...

alright, I could use alex moon (sp?) online calculation to calculate the maneuver node, which won't show up in screenshots.

Or I could use Mechjeb to do the exact thing, which will show up in screenshots. which one is it?

Also, does the race starts when the ship leaves the launchpad? I usually park ships in LKO a few weeks in advance of the transfer window

Ok, there is just no way I'm going to beat Foxster...
Not with that attitude you won't! :sticktongue:

The "secret" is just to have a craft with lots and lots and lots of dV. That means nukes and, more usefully, ions...plus lots of patience for the oh so tedious burns.

97 days is quite beatable. I didn't have the best intercept possible - just got tired waiting for it. I didn't have the most dV you can pile on a craft either - not by any means. I'd like to bet someone could knock 10s of days off my last time.

• 2 weeks later...

well well now this is a challenge i could sink my teeth into :D just gotta uninstall all the mods and i should be ok i remember building a rocket for the first time with a satellite that left kerbins system in a matter of minutes and into the universe (on my first try) but little did i suspect that my ions had a fault in there system at full power :( but oh well im gonna attempt to see if i can do it again >:D

UPDATE* Whelp its a one way trip apparently i just made a kerbal satellite for Eello (aka Jeb is the satellite.....)

Edited by Lego8_bit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.