space station disappeared after game error

Hi all. It's the 2nd time that I suffer for this error

I had a space station which was near to change SOI between kerbol and jool, so I selected it in the tracking station. Game was like bugged, showing NaaN in the navball and nothing was working, so I restarted the game. After this space station just disappeared, like if it has never existed (mission to build space station still remains)

My question is, how could I know what is causing this failure?? The first time happened in an unmanned space station to orbit around kerbol, so it didnt hurt? Now I have to spend the time and money to launch it again, and one kerbal is now missed

Mods installed:

toolbar

ambientlightadjustment

editor extensions JSI

kerbalEngineer

KSP-AVC

MavyFish

ShipManifest

TextureReplacer

Trajectories

AlarmClock

I updated some mods, which means delete and replace them with new versions, but I think that none of the mods that I use have parts, because all are info/visuals mods like KER etc etc

I updated some mods, which means delete and replace them with new versions, but I think that none of the mods that I use have parts, because all are info/visuals mods like KER etc etc
Do you have Steam KSP?

And this is why when I start a new career I selected Hard then went and put the save game and quick save options back in.

I save the game A LOT, start with 2000 and work my way down and eventually wipe out old saves and start the count down again.

Especially if you are like me and have 6 different flights going at the same time.

It isn't cheating it is protection again bugs in KSP and bugs injected from mods.

I've had this error a lot since 1.0. It occurs when switching to or from certain ships. It only happens with two or three of my ships, but for those it's really frequent, often taking 2-4 reloads to make the switch. I'm not quite sure what's particular about these ships. They're large(-ish), but so are others that don't cause this kind of crash. I thought it might be a clipping issue, although I don't clip excessively in the editor (just lights and such stuff).

Win7 32, Steam version, no mods except KER and KAC.

Had that disappearence too - I associate it with ram filling up (I play KSP on a potato). Since you use texture replacer, I suspect you probably not playing it on a nuclear rig either.

I usually experience that loading difficulty when I want to switch to a big constuction during long playing sessions. Screen goes mostly black besides some UI elements. Closing the program these times usually corrupted my save, more precisely destroyed or reverted the craft in question. My pre-emptive solution (besides using multiple saves by alt-f5) is restarting KSP before loading up a bigger craft.

BTW, those buggy loadings finish sooner or later if you are patient (in case you forgot to make multiple saves).

Edited by Evanitis

Like it has been said, back up your saves after you have something big or significant. In my non os drive I have a folder for ksp with all the stock versions, all mods I downloaded separated by version, and all saves(which I should really seperate by version and mods they rely on). I also back it up every so often to my external hard drive so I can always resume whatever I have been playing.

It's precautions like this that only takes ten or so minutes to go back to, rather than an hour for having to rebuild and relaunch everything.

You can always just back up your saves to your desktop since saves are just a few megabytes

One thing I've learned: I always save the game before going into the tracking station and flying a ship.

One time I had 3 ships on the same course to duna, and the game always crashed on the last one I selected. I kept loading the game and selecting a different ship for last, and it always crashed, no matter which ship I chose (they were all different designs).

The conclusion I took from this is that this kind of crash isn't related to the ship you are selecting, it's some internal game engine issue that arises on certain situations. I also noticed it always happened on interplanetary space, never on a planet's SOI.

Same thing happened to me. In one instance I had four ships, heading to different destinations, Moho, Dres, Jool and Eve. Changed back to the Moho ship preparing for course adjustment, got the not a number error, reloaded and the ship was gone. This error replicated every time I quick reloaded. Happened in another instance where I had a ship going to Jool and Eve. The Jool ship to disappeared after the not a number error occurred. :huh: The only mod I use is Kerbal Alarm Clock.

I'm not sure if this got around the problem, or I was just lucky, but I found it did not occur if I changed to the ship once it changed SOI at the destination... this of course means nailing your encounter at launch or soon after.... at the very least performing all adjustments before launching the second ship. Also save often.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.