Batman v Superman: Soyuz Launch Abort ridiculousness.

curtquarquesso

So was he watching the launch? I mean I know Superman can travel really fast, close to the speed of light and at and faster than the speed of light if he really tries. However, he would have needed to be be at the launch, and then be really close to the launch pad to get there in time for the upper stage not to be consumed by the explosion. And even then it would also take a slight amount of ESP to ensure crew survives. That all being said the LES should have worked. I just want to know why Superman was watching a Soyuz launch. I mean I know its cool but hes superman shouldn't there be other things to do?

No no, you've got it wrong. Why have a launch escape system in a universe with superman in it? They just keep the grid fins and empty shell of a tower on so they don't have to redo all the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

No but really, I'm more willing to let it slide with the unspoken assumption that the LES failed to trigger due to some glitch. It's not impossible; could've been wired wrong during assembly for instance.

So was he watching the launch? I mean I know Superman can travel really fast, close to the speed of light and at and faster than the speed of light if he really tries. However, he would have needed to be be at the launch, and then be really close to the launch pad to get there in time for the upper stage not to be consumed by the explosion. And even then it would also take a slight amount of ESP to ensure crew survives. That all being said the LES should have worked. I just want to know why Superman was watching a Soyuz launch. I mean I know its cool but hes superman shouldn't there be other things to do?

Actually I find it pretty suspicious. You know that his heat vision rays are actually drawn in by animators? His beams are actually invisible and if you're not actively trying to detect them, you won't know they're there. Who knows how that Soyuz 'accident' occurred.

Pretty damned suspicious.....

It's movie science, people. It doesn't exist.

See, this is one of the reasons why KSP has ruined part of my life. Knowing how rockets and space work doesn't let me watch movies or TV stuff involving space without noticing flaws, whereas before I played KSP I'd accept SSTO rockets that travel in a straight line with its engine on the entire time and when it runs out of fuel it simply stops in space as an accurate thing.

Now I facepalm my way to Duna and keep complaining about that "science" to everyone at home.

But really, that Soyuz explosion scene with the launch escape tower INTACT was just plain stupid.

Edited by windows_x_seven

No no, you've got it wrong. Why have a launch escape system in a universe with superman in it? They just keep the grid fins and empty shell of a tower on so they don't have to redo all the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

No but really, I'm more willing to let it slide with the unspoken assumption that the LES failed to trigger due to some glitch. It's not impossible; could've been wired wrong during assembly for instance.

Yeah. I think the biggest question is "why was Superman watching a Soyuz launch in the middle of Kazakstan?" There's either something special about the launch (i.e. Lex has secretly swapped the reentry capsule with a nuuuke ooooh nooooo!1! or, it's just a random bit of footage from a "Superman saving people" montage in the movie.

Yeah. I think the biggest question is "why was Superman watching a Soyuz launch in the middle of Kazakstan?"

Superman decided to play KSP. After some days of gameplay, he decided to watch a launch in person. The earliest launch that he could watch was the Soyuz one, but unfortunately it got Kraken'd, and luckily he was there to save the asstronauts.

But really, that Soyuz explosion scene with the launch escape tower INTACT was just plain stupid.

From what I can see it wasn't just the LES, it was the whole orbital maneuvering stage. (Engine, Crew capsules, LES)

He's Superman. He's not Astro City's Samaritan. Superman gets time off.

It's movie science, people. It doesn't exist.

See, this is one of the reasons why KSP has ruined part of my life. Knowing how rockets and space work doesn't let me watch movies or TV stuff involving space without noticing flaws, whereas before I played KSP I'd accept SSTO rockets that travel in a straight line with its engine on the entire time and when it runs out of fuel it simply stops in space as an accurate thing.

Now I facepalm my way to Duna and keep complaining about that "science" to everyone at home.

Just accept the fact that it happened and move on. Or remember that in the comic book universe everyone has a collective Iq of -89

Minding all the how-the-rocket-works obviousness about LES n stuff that the producers might not know.. I am not even sure Soyuz could be able to hold on it's fairings supported by his tiny hands (also considering that the binding bottom has been ripped off) It would be cool if the spacecraft just fell apart the moment after the scene we see in the trailer xD

But considering mini Antmanâ„¢ punches people instead of stinging them... Pure film pressure physics

Edit:

Except...

I've got it! He actually picked up the fairing ONLY, WITH LES! :) and the astronauts plummeted into explosion thanks to that :D That would prove that the thing is light enough to be carried on his tiny hands and not disassemble :)

Edited by nothke

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.