[1.6.1] NodeHelper - tool used to edit node positions

Felbourn

5 hours ago, Felbourn said:

I think I have it fixed. Any requests for this while I am coding today?

Lovely :3

I might have some requests, would you please make a prerelease version?

Edited by Enceos

I'm making a bunch of changes that make it better for how I use it, and hopefully how others use it too.

However, I am having an issue with the nodes appearing "behind" the model.

KIS also had this issue, @IgorZ has solved it by increasing the renderQueue number. You can view the issue and the fix on Github.

As for the features, I agree with lextacy, I wonder if it is possible at all to give the nodes those dragging arrows which we use for offsetting parts.

Edited by Enceos

It's probably doable, but probably a bit of work and I am checking for small things I can do for now since Ares and Alexandria are waiting for me to start them up again. :) I also already simplified the node UI a little so I'm going to see how much that helps me/us first. I like the idea a lot though.

As for the render queue I had already tried it and it did not help. I think the issue is I need to make my models on the root part. That might be a bit of work. If I change the layer it also helps a little but creates a different problem of not being able to see the exact intersection point of the node with the part models.

Edited by Felbourn

I can't get the balls to intersect. I can get them "behind" the part like the first image I posted. I can get them "in front" like this:

yfOeq3v.png

But of course what we really want is for them to intersect like this:

R95BUY8.png

6 hours ago, Felbourn said:

I can't get the balls to intersect. I can get them "behind" the part like the first image I posted. I can get them "in front" like this:

But of course what we really want is for them to intersect like this.

Maybe we should try pinging the knowledgeable guys? @linuxgurugamer, @NathanKell.

@Felbourn Would you please remove Blizzy's Toolbar as dependency? )

3 hours ago, Felbourn said:

Who uses mods but does not use toolbar? That's crazy talk! :D

It's almost like saying you don't have module manager installed.

Would be nice if it could work as well independently :3

Not many mods have buttons in VAB, stock toolbar has plenty of space there.

Edited by Enceos

tried the 1.1 release. GOod stuff here. My wish come true about the node changes being visible in VAB. :D  

Can I make another recommendation?  What is holding back the ability to have the new node creations being saved to the original parts .cfg?  Id like to have the change be "live" without having to do a "MMreloadCache"  

Also a bit of an anoyance  :  The gui goes away constantly when you mouse around in VAB. It acts exacty if the way the stock right-click part menus work. Could you make it so the node helpers gui sticks in the air?

1 hour ago, Enceos said:

Would be nice if it could work as well independently :3

Not many mods have buttons in VAB, stock toolbar has plenty of space there.

In my gaming install (as opposed to the dev install) I have 9 mods which put buttons on the toolbar.  So far I haven't run out of space, but only because I've combined 4  mods into one in EditorExtensionsRedux

6 hours ago, Enceos said:

Maybe we should try pinging the knowledgeable guys? @linuxgurugamer, @NathanKell.

Wow!  It's gratifying that you said that, thanks.  Unfortunately, I don't have a clue.  

5 hours ago, lextacy said:

new node creations being saved to the original parts .cfg

It's not a good idea to alter the original files provided by Squad or a mod maker. The files might become corrupted or break saves. Or a bug in my mod might ruin the originals by mistake. You also can't install a newer version without losing prior changes. You should be using Module Manager patches to create new parts, or at least use patches to affect existing ones.

I cannot reproduce the GUI going away by moving the mouse. For me the appropriate windows are available when they should be.

It's not a good idea to alter the original files provided by Squad or a mod maker. The files might become corrupted or break saves. Or a bug in my mod might ruin the originals by mistake. You also can't install a newer version without losing prior changes. You should be using Module Manager patches to create new parts, or at least use patches to affect existing ones.

I cannot reproduce the GUI going away by moving the mouse. For me the appropriate windows are available when they should be.

Oh good point. Well patches arent gonna hurt I guess :P

You can reproduce the "bug" of the menus disappearing by right-clicking to camera pan around your craft in VAB. 

But maybe it could write a MM patch file that will provide the made changed with the next Startup of the game.

2 hours ago, Alewx said:

maybe it could write a MM patch file

Yea I was thinking the same thing, though it also feels like one of those yak-shaving kinds of tasks. It'll never be as easy as it seems on paper. :) 

Yea I was thinking the same thing, though it also feels like one of those yak-shaving kinds of tasks. It'll never be as easy as it seems on paper. :) 

Isn't that the usual case :wink:

BTW I noticed that the new version for 1.1 does not contain CIT, did you change nodehelper to be standalone?

7 hours ago, Alewx said:

did you change nodehelper to be standalone?

I did not have the source code to CIT so I faked it by writing new functions of my own to replace anything that would not compile without his library.

17 hours ago, lextacy said:

right-clicking to camera pan around your craft in VAB

That's actually how I use the VAB by default. I do that all the time.

3 minutes ago, Felbourn said:

I did not have the source code to CIT so I faked it by writing new functions of my own to replace anything that would not compile without his library.

I test it as soon as I'm back home.

I do a lot of part editing and never needed more than 0.01 myself which is why I did not clutter my UI with more. I can make that an option, but until then you can still set a custom 0.001 the old way. Edit the text field and hit Set.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.