Star One C4 and MSG-4 launch atop Ariane 5 ECA July 15th (pics heavy)

Hcube

Why are the boosters still burning after separation? Is that used to create space?

No, it's the remains of some propellant still burning, but so little that no more thrust EDIT : see : no more meaningful thrust is produced. the booster are actually pushed away by 4 "sepratrons" each.

Fairing sep ! nice respiration !

Edited by Hcube

MECO and SEP, and then HM-7B ignition 4 seconds later ! pretty cool :) what a small second stage

EDIT : here goes the annoying "ads" fro the customer instead of the actual launch... grmbl

The upper stage is really small... what is the ISP of the engine ? oO

Yeah Ariane 5 is an oversized first stage that almost makes orbit by itself ! (and the SRBs). the second stage is only for GTO boost.

The HM-7B engine has an Isp of 447 seconds

EDIT : ninja'ed ! yeah it has really good isp, but ridiculously low thrust... it's around 70kN iirc

Star One C4 about to be released at (more or less) T+20 min ! i wonder if they will cover it

EDIT : french accent again... ouch

Edited by Hcube

ESC-A cutoff !

EDIT : wow, i thought the first separation was planned for about 20 minutes after liftoff...

EDIT 2 : the presentator saying that they "lost the signal in the libreville tracking station"... whereas the DDO was saying that the control was just transitioning... so don't worry :D

Release !

EDIT 3 : wow she really makes a lot of mistakes... "we can't release the other satellite under 4000km altitude" while the craft is already 11 000km high...

EDIT : i am the mistaken one in the story :P facepalm

(grumpy me : she made other mistakes anyway... grmbl)

Edited by Hcube

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.