Heat Pumps v1.3.0 for Real Fuels - May 1, 2017

Starwaster

Nope, I don't use any USI stuff in my RO/RP-0 install. I did just setup a test using the ModuleHeatPump parts, apologies I haven't taken pictures & useful data to share from that yet. I'll post when I have. I'm taking it slow, so this problem doesn't drive me mad again. Sadly to say, I get the same trouble. Which property would I crank up on RealFuels.radiator1 to get very overpowered cooling for LH2? I tried turning up heatTransfer but saw the same behaviour.

5 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

Nope, I don't use any USI stuff in my RO/RP-0 install. I did just setup a test using the ModuleHeatPump parts, apologies I haven't taken pictures & useful data to share from that yet. I'll post when I have. I'm taking it slow, so this problem doesn't drive me mad again. Sadly to say, I get the same trouble. Which property would I crank up on RealFuels.radiator1 to get very overpowered cooling for LH2? I tried turning up heatTransfer but saw the same behaviour.

Try setting the radiator's overcoolFactor to 0. 

54 minutes ago, stratochief66 said:

Take 2. I set a very low overcoolFactor to the ModuleHeatPump, although that wasn't a field previously defined in the cfg for it.

http://imgur.com/c2mV8Du

http://pastebin.com/SPhRpedB

overcoolFactor is only for stock radiators (i.e. ModuleActiveRadiator)

My ModuleHeatPump doesn't use it for anything. Not sure what else you're asking... about boiloff being lower even though temps are higher, MHP works by eliminating incoming flux.  Any configured cooling is actually secondary. 

51 minutes ago, stratochief66 said:

Ahh. I'd asked what to turn up specifically on a HeatPump part to increase the effectiveness and you mentioned overcoolFactor. I'll try overcoolFactor on the stock radiators with ModuleActiveRadiator since that is what you meant. (UpThumb) 

I thought you meant the stock radiators. 

For MHP you can increase heatTransfer though I left it at 50 (kW) so as not to be OP, which the stock radiators are. (Horribly)

Heat Pump version 1.3.0 updated for KSP 1.2.2

* Clamped heatTransferCap to equal or greater than heatTransfer
* Fixed bug in how heat transfer was calculated. (was trying to transfer too much per radiator potentially destroying the part)
* Changed throttling behavior. (radiator temporarily shuts down if overheated now)
* Radiator added flux now equals drained flux divided by PhysicsGlobal.ConductionFactor.
* Improved symmetry handling (properly detects when one radiator in the group has shut off)

A word about how HP radiators work when placed in symmetry mode: Whenever you place an HP radiator panel, a virtual heat pump is added to the part you placed the radiator on. If you add multiple radiators in symmetry mode, it's still only one heat pump but it distributes the heat being pumped out of the target part amongst all symmetrically placed radiators. Individually placed radiators count as separate and individual heat pumps. This isn't really by design; it's a consequence of not having been implemented as a vessel wide thermal management system like the stock radiators. Use of symmetry is a cheap solution until I come up with something better.

Until I implement a vessel wide thermal management version, this means that you could increase performance by adding the radiators separately but each individual radiator has to manage the heat load on their own. The only reason that would really be necessary though is if a part overheated and you wanted it to be cooled down faster. The main purpose of this mod is to intercept heat being conducted into the tank before it becomes a problem. (this newest version should handle things better....)

Edited by Starwaster

Heat Pump version 1.3.0.1 updated for KSP 1.2.2

https://github.com/Starwaster/HeatPump/releases/tag/v1.3.0.1

• Added missing MM configs (adds duplicates of stock radiator panels using HP module for cryo cooling)
  • Be sure to delete any older HeatPump folders!

(HP 1.3.0 change log)

• Clamped heatTransferCap to equal or greater than heatTransfer
  • Fixed bug in how heat transfer was calculated. (was trying to transfer too much per radiator potentially destroying the part)
  • Changed throttling behavior. (radiator temporarily shuts down if overheated now)
  • Radiator added flux now equals drained flux divided by PhysicsGlobal.ConductionFactor.
  • Improved symmetry handling (properly detects when one radiator in the group has shut off)
Edited by Starwaster

Welp... It doesn't seems to be the problem of the mod or MM but of my own setup I guess...Heat Pumps never seems to work with my KSP install since my first attempts in 1.1.3... back then it says draining 0w of heat on the radiator and as of this time(1.2.2 and HP 1.3.0.1) the radiators including those modified stock radiators just don't display anything anymore...and it seems to have no cryo-cooling either (speculation, since I'm seeing a loss of my LH2 in the supposedly cooled tanks).

I Don't think doing anything will fix it and also am unwelling to bother anybody for this...just want to let you know this weird thing happens on me TAT

2 hours ago, wb99999999 said:

Welp... It doesn't seems to be the problem of the mod or MM but of my own setup I guess...Heat Pumps never seems to work with my KSP install since my first attempts in 1.1.3... back then it says draining 0w of heat on the radiator and as of this time(1.2.2 and HP 1.3.0.1) the radiators including those modified stock radiators just don't display anything anymore...and it seems to have no cryo-cooling either (speculation, since I'm seeing a loss of my LH2 in the supposedly cooled tanks).

I Don't think doing anything will fix it and also am unwelling to bother anybody for this...just want to let you know this weird thing happens on me TAT

Are you even using Real Fuels? Or some other mod's cryo tanks/resources?

4 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Are you turning the radiators on then? They're not on by default 

That's the funny part to be honest. I TRIED to turn it on, but right click on the panels or inspect them in the action group settings shows nothing whatsoever. The deplorable ones can be extended, but even when extended they shows no sigh of doing any actually cooling nor has any display (about their current status). The fixed ones just outright don't have their pop-up menu when right clicked either in VAB or during the flight. Something tells me that this has to be related with MM somehow...

35 minutes ago, wb99999999 said:

That's the funny part to be honest. I TRIED to turn it on, but right click on the panels or inspect them in the action group settings shows nothing whatsoever. The deplorable ones can be extended, but even when extended they shows no sigh of doing any actually cooling nor has any display (about their current status). The fixed ones just outright don't have their pop-up menu when right clicked either in VAB or during the flight. Something tells me that this has to be related with MM somehow...

Can you put your output_log.txt file and your ModuleManager.ConfigCache somewhere I can download them? (Dropbox is good)

57 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Can you put your output_log.txt file and your ModuleManager.ConfigCache somewhere I can download them? (Dropbox is good)

I don't know if Google Drive would work for you, but here it is.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0_1amtr4ybua2VvSkVKbkNxVDQ This would be ModuleManager.ConfigCache

and

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0_1amtr4ybuTHpjckZPTWp4M3c This would be output_log.txt

Thanks a lot for your help by the way.

6 minutes ago, wb99999999 said:

Yes! It worked! It's magic!

Thanks for the fix, and just asking, what did you find in my files?

Well it only applies to this latest update, but I noticed that you had no HeatPump.dll being loaded...:blush:

36 minutes ago, Gamma124 said:

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to ask, does the latest version still work with 1.1.3? I really want to try this mod in RP-0.

I haven't tested it with KSP 1.1.3 and can't guarantee that it would. Might if 1.1.3 supports Part.AddSkinThermalFlux but I don't remember when that function was added.

And actually I think some fields were renamed in one of the KSP updates and that could also cause incompatibility.

Edited by Starwaster

7 hours ago, Starwaster said:

I haven't tested it with KSP 1.1.3 and can't guarantee that it would. Might if 1.1.3 supports Part.AddSkinThermalFlux but I don't remember when that function was added.

And actually I think some fields were renamed in one of the KSP updates and that could also cause incompatibility.

That's sad... Do you still have the 1.1.3 version somewhere?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.