[WIP] - RealPlume - Stock Configs - Call for Contributors

Felger

Hey, just going to say that I am really loving these plumes! (And the very nice and easy way of configuring them!)

I also just made a pull request for some AB Launchers configs I put together over the last few days. Not exactly a professional with this sort of stuff, but I think I did okay with them. They're probably not perfect, but I'm just someone who really wanted to have RealPlumes on as many engines as possible, so expect one or two more configs from me soon-ish. (I have a few that just need a bit of tweaking, might do those in a few minutes.)

Oh, I forgot to ask you Felger. The cluster engines that are in the pack for SpaceY have two modes, one mode is where all the engines are ignited and the second one is where only the center engine is ignited like the actual Falcon 9. I would've figured that it would've applied the effect to both modes but it doesn't. How would I go about making sure that the second mode gets the engine effect as well?

Oh, I forgot to ask you Felger. The cluster engines that are in the pack for SpaceY have two modes, one mode is where all the engines are ignited and the second one is where only the center engine is ignited like the actual Falcon 9. I would've figured that it would've applied the effect to both modes but it doesn't. How would I go about making sure that the second mode gets the engine effect as well?

Check the original part config and see how it does the effects there, might be as simple as adding the powerEffectName to multiple engine configs.

- - - Updated - - -

If it's not obvious, post the config here and I'll take a look

Well looking over one of them it seems that it assigns two different EngineIDs. Two of the cluster engines have a AllEngines and a CenterOff ID and then another has a AllEngines and CenterOnly ID. The other clusters don't have a toggle. If you want to look at the configs yourself I'll post them here here and here :P

Tantares

Which one? I couldn't find an Almach_Engine_C in either Tantares or TantaresLV

Well looking over one of them it seems that it assigns two different EngineIDs. Two of the cluster engines have a AllEngines and a CenterOff ID and then another has a AllEngines and CenterOnly ID. The other clusters don't have a toggle. If you want to look at the configs yourself I'll post them here here and here :P

Ah, it's easy then! Change this:

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesRF
%powerEffectName = Hypergolic-OMS-White
}

To this:

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*],*
{
@name = ModuleEnginesRF
%powerEffectName = Hypergolic-OMS-White
}

That'll configure every engine module with the same effects. If you want to specify a different effect for the engine do this:

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#engineID[AllEngines]]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesRF
%powerEffectName = Hypergolic-Lower
}
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#engineID[CenterOff]]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesRF
%powerEffectName = Hypergolic-Upper
}

Either way will work, that's how I set up the RAPIER, use the Turbojet effect for air-breathing, something else for closed cycle, don't recall which.

Ahh ok awesome, thanks :D

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm... that didn't seem to work. It basically reversed the effect so the main engine mode no longer works but the second engine mode does but incorrectly. For example, by default the M9 has 9 nozzles, the main mode is all 9 engines going and it shows all 9 plumes coming out correctly normally, the second mode is only the center engine going and is suppose to only be the center plume showing. Adding the ,* caused the main mode to show no effect and the second mode to show all 9 plumes going even though its only suppose to be the center plume :(

Which one? I couldn't find an Almach_Engine_C in either Tantares or TantaresLV

May have been depreciated then. I never delete old folders when updating a mod. However it was also the Alto_engine_B that gave me trouble. The waykeeper engine. Thanks for the help greatly appreciated :)

Ahh ok awesome, thanks :D

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm... that didn't seem to work. It basically reversed the effect so the main engine mode no longer works but the second engine mode does but incorrectly. For example, by default the M9 has 9 nozzles, the main mode is all 9 engines going and it shows all 9 plumes coming out correctly normally, the second mode is only the center engine going and is suppose to only be the center plume showing. Adding the ,* caused the main mode to show no effect and the second mode to show all 9 plumes going even though its only suppose to be the center plume :(

Can you do a http://pastebin.com/ of your current config / the engine's config so I can see what you're working with?

May have been depreciated then. I never delete old folders when updating a mod. However it was also the Alto_engine_B that gave me trouble. The waykeeper engine. Thanks for the help greatly appreciated :)

It's entirely possible it was renamed to keep up with his naming scheme. Could you check the most recent releases and see if one of those engines is the one you're working with? Otherwise, could you zip up your Tantares folder and send it to me via PM so I can see if I can replicate it?

Yep! Here is the actual engine config and here is the RealPlume config for it.

All righty, so there's your problem, each ModuleEnginesFX has a different transform, so you'll need two identical-ish PLUME nodes like so:

PLUME
{
name = Kerolox-Lower
transformName = thrustTransform
localRotation = 0,0,0
localPosition = 0,0,1.6
fixedScale = 0.6
energy = 0.8
speed = 1
}
PLUME
{
name = Kerolox-Upper
transformName = outerTransform
localRotation = 0,0,0
localPosition = 0,0,1.6
fixedScale = 0.6
energy = 0.8
speed = 1
}
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#engineID[AllEngines]]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesFX
!runningEffectName = DELETE
%powerEffectName = Kerolox-Lower
}
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#engineID[CenterOff]]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesFX
!runningEffectName = DELETE
%powerEffectName = Kerolox-Upper
}

Unfortunately, as of right now there isn't a way to do two fully identical PLUME nodes, but Kerolox-Upper is similar enough to Kerolox-Lower that it won't make a huge difference.

Wooo! That worked! I'll get the rest of the engines done for SpaceY today now :)

Edit:

Alright now another question, is there a way to configure the smoke externally in a config per engine? I'm having trouble with one of the 0.625m SRB's having a proper plume size but the smoke does not scale with it. Its using the Solid-Lower plume so I don't know if that makes a difference. Here is the config I'm trying to put on it. Everything scales right except for the smoke.

Edited by Nhawks17

Yokay, all of the SpaceY engines are done except for the sepratron(sp?) which I need to poke around.

Looked through my Solid-Lower effect config, and the smoke should be scaled exactly the same as the plume, can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

On the separatrons, I'm not sure why, but several packs' separatrons just don't want to take EFFECTS nodes and create particles from them. Sounds are applied, and everything else. Hopefully I can figure out a solution, but for the moment I suppose the default effects will have to do.

In other news, RealPlume v0.4 is up, a lot of the effects look a lot better now, as well as smoke where appropriate. As always, if there's something you'd like tweaked in a plume, submit it (with screenshots) here.

RealPlume v0.4

Changelog:

• Contrail smoke effects added and tweaked where appropriate
  • Solid-Sepmotor particle changed, looks a bit better.
  • Solid-Upper|Lower changed, plume expansion much better, plumePosition or flarePosition may require tweaking.
  • Expansion characteristics of many plumes tweaked to improve appearance and match real life plume examples.
  • All parameters in the PLUME node are now optional except name and transformName

Looking at what we have configured so far, I'm thinking this weekend would be a good point for release to the general public. So far we have configured:

• Squad
  • KW Rocketry
  • FASA
  • SpaceY
  • Tantares
  • AB-Launchers
  • Ven's Stock Revamp

That's pretty good! Thanks a bunch to everyone's who's contributed so far, and is continuing to contribute!

<snip>

Let me test with the new version to see if its working better and I'll let you know.

Edit:

Oh my I need to update the SRBs xD Changing that plume did not work in their favor :P

Edit Edit:

So this is what I was talking about with the smoke being odd on the scaling. Maybe it's suppose to be this way? However, the smoke trail seems, to me, a little too large compared to the plume/flare

Edit Edit Edit: <.<

Just created a pull request for the updated SRB plumes so they don't look funny

Edited by Nhawks17

Let me test with the new version to see if its working better and I'll let you know.

Edit:

Oh my I need to update the SRBs xD Changing that plume did not work in their favor :P

Edit Edit:

So this is what I was talking about with the smoke being odd on the scaling. Maybe it's suppose to be this way? However, the smoke trail seems, to me, a little too large compared to the plume/flare

Edit Edit Edit: <.<

Just created a pull request for the updated SRB plumes so they don't look funny

Cool, and I double checked and you're absolutely right, I was screwed up on the size scale on the Solid effects, that'll be fixed and I'll post a new release tonight to fix that.

Cool, and I double checked and you're absolutely right, I was screwed up on the size scale on the Solid effects, that'll be fixed and I'll post a new release tonight to fix that.

Awesome! Glad you found it :)

Awesome! Glad you found it :)

Release is up, doesn't change any plume placement (probably, if you're using Kerolox-Vernier, I did change the particle on that effect, but it should be pretty similar.)

So, with this, I think I'm going to put together the official release, and post this to Add-ons!

- - - Updated - - -

As an addendum, I think I'm going to have to split the configs out of the RealPlume repo into their own repository, so we can have a separate release cycle.

Final update - Stock configs have moved:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume-StockConfigs

Initial release is up, and the initial post has been made here, contributions are still highly desired, but I figure the bulk of the conversation should move to that thread. Thanks to everyone who's helped get us to this point!

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone have a punt at putting the hydrolox blue plumes used on the ven stock revamp config in this pack on the klockheed Martian ssme engines?

Tried doing it myself and ended up with no effects on the nozzle...

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.