A new solar-panel fold method

StevieC

For the record this is a real-life mechanism that actually was first developed using Origami, so it would naturally make sense for it to be introduced by Kerlington Paper Products.

It's called the "Miura-ori" or the "Miura Map Fold".

Here's the wikipedia page on the fold.

Well, I'm not an engineer of that sort but my gut intuition tells me there would be several problems converting the idea to solar panels in both in real life and KSP. For one the connection point would not be sturdy enough. You would basically be holding a large solar panel attached by nothing but one extreme corner. I feel like even in KSP it would be difficult to mount this in such a way that it doesn't get in the way.

One proposed way to do it is to make it a right-triangle, anchored at right-angle corner, and then have two ribs that telescope out pulling the other two corners out to spread the panel, like this pic shows.

pct08.jpg

This method is proposed not only for making solar-panels but also solar SAILS, another thing I'd like to see made a thing in KSP sometime perhaps?

Edited by StevieC
Making the layout more reader-friendly and to add a bit of info

Have you seen this? http://www.space.com/27485-origami-space-solar-panels-video.html

I suggested it to Nertea before, but it doesn't seem like there is time for them to make new stuff whene there are so many stuff to maintain. Maybe someone else can take this up. It would be a great inline solar panel assembly.

Edited by RainDreamer

Have you seen this? http://www.space.com/27485-origami-space-solar-panels-video.html

I suggested it to Nertea before, but it doesn't seem like there is time for them to make new stuff whene there are so many stuff to maintain. Maybe someone else can take this up. It would be a great inline solar panel assembly.

Yeah, it's possible to replicate, but animating each segment of the circle will be a pain in the ass. Rigging the construction with bones to help the animation will also be one big trouble.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.