Von Braun Station. Part-friendly docking hub... now for 1.04!

Rune

Sorry for replying to an old post like this, but how did you manage to attach the radiators to those nuclear engines?

Well, that's simple: I didn't attach them to nuke ;) Nukes don't have surface to attach stuff to, but luckily that nuke is attached to an in-line docking port, which can have stuff attached to its surface, then I moved them with gizmos so they cover the engine. Actually, building one of my Drive Pods is trickier than it looks... In order to have it fed fuel correctly through all its ports, you have to start building it from that inline docking port (all other parts attach to that), then put something on the Jr. dock and make that the root, so you can grab the whole pod to drop in subassemblies.

The first picture in the small Imgur album, the small shuttle, can I get the craft file for that? It looks pretty darn awesome

Well you are in luck then! That is the Spatha, and it is available in my rocket builders thread, R-SUV. Link in my sig, check it out!

Rune. Not that fixed radiators are actually all that useful...

Ok, well riddle me this Bat-Rune... will the nukes take the ring to Duna without exploding without the radiators?

Oh yeah, right, the old version didn't have any. Does the file I posted here still have those? That would be a bug... IIRC, they also had RTG's, and those things explode it you look at them wrong (I was trying to simulate using the reactor for power, but I didn't think about the ridiculously low heat tolerance of the RTG). In any case, it depends on the duration of the burn. The least resistant part is the Jr. Docking port, after all, and it still handles 2000ºC. I can tell you that it handled a burn to Mun without issues, and in any case you are going to have to break the ejection burn into several passes if you want to do things efficiently...

BTW, if you don't give post here a screenie of a VB around Duna when you get there, I will get mad at you. I haven't seen that myself yet! :)

Rune. I am just getting the second window to Moho now, after all... Duna's is still a couple of weeks away, and the way I run the clock in my save, that could mean KSP 1.2...

Oh yeah, right, the old version didn't have any. Does the file I posted here still have those? That would be a bug... IIRC, they also had RTG's, and those things explode it you look at them wrong (I was trying to simulate using the reactor for power, but I didn't think about the ridiculously low heat tolerance of the RTG). In any case, it depends on the duration of the burn. The least resistant part is the Jr. Docking port, after all, and it still handles 2000ºC. I can tell you that it handled a burn to Mun without issues, and in any case you are going to have to break the ejection burn into several passes if you want to do things efficiently...

BTW, if you don't give post here a screenie of a VB around Duna when you get there, I will get mad at you. I haven't seen that myself yet! :)

Rune. I am just getting the second window to Moho now, after all... Duna's is still a couple of weeks away, and the way I run the clock in my save, that could mean KSP 1.2...

Not sure if you're expecting a reply, but just in case - yes the file you posted still has the old drive pods... not to worry, I just sent a 4-pack of my own tug design up with hopes to run the maneuver using those instead. They are poodle-powered! ;)

Not sure if you're expecting a reply, but just in case - yes the file you posted still has the old drive pods... not to worry, I just sent a 4-pack of my own tug design up with hopes to run the maneuver using those instead. They are poodle-powered! ;)

Ok, that helps. :) Updated file with the new drive pods and a couple other really minor improvements, coming right up!

Rune. Actually, already up.

ooo - I'll have to grab that and take a look... but how do I get the improvements on-orbit, considering I already have one of these preparing for Duna launch...

Anyhow, here's something I just added for the trip to Duna... This is my standard tug design in a convenient 4-pack along with a couple adapters that I thought might come in handy and that definitely helped stabilize the grouping for launch. The design of this tug came about when some idiot engineer on my staff built a ship with a docking port surrounded by stuff that blocked access. The nose cone adds more fuel to my original service module design as well as providing access into most tight places. The forward port is interchangeable with the Klaw (shown below). The tugs feature a powerful poodle motor and alone can handle quite large ships. Combined in this configuration, they retain their agility and multiply their power!

DA6BF11084C7466E8FD35D805F5F58BD7B46E48F

Also, the tug's forward lighting array was reported to cause substantial glare, making docking visually nearly impossible. This situation has been rectified with pretty colors and the more diffuse lighting provided by the illuminator mk-2!

5F0F840A6A09010BE0EBF0DE548F4EE93CB3FF9F

I attached this four-pack to the base of the Von Braun ring that is headed for Duna and am considering whether to use their engines for the IP burn.

Danny

ooo - I'll have to grab that and take a look... but how do I get the improvements on-orbit, considering I already have one of these preparing for Duna launch...
Edited by Rune

This is my standard tug design in a convenient 4-pack along with a couple adapters that I thought might come in handy and that definitely helped stabilize the grouping for launch.

Danny

Hmmm... That a nice design...All stock?... Any chance you could share the .craft file?... Pretty please?... :)

The tug and the 4-pack are all stock. I was playing with SpaceY when I launched it, but here's the crafts for the basic tug and the 4-pack:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dat1w27jn2ouma5/Tug%201_1.craft?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xocdn3l8m9k6bg/Quad%20Tug%201_1c.craft?dl=0

note the "c" variant has the claw installed on the nose. The 4-pack also has five adapters connected: Two "universal" to standard port nosecone adapters (can carry extra fuel if desired), two standard to standard port extenders, and one 6-way adapter.

Enjoy!

Rune, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes posting this here. I have no intention of starting a spacecraft company right now, but would love to share crafts from time to time... If you would like to adopt these as your own, modify them as you see fit, include them as part of the R-SUV stable, or whatever, please feel free to do so.

As for the single-dock pushing, I have already seen bending issues and had to reload quicksaves without even doing any maneuvering, so I am a little concerned. Have been considering re-allocating these four to some other duties and putting up a new pack set up for pulling and with KAS struts and grab rails already installed - what do you think?

The tug and the 4-pack are all stock. I was playing with SpaceY when I launched it, but here's the crafts for the basic tug and the 4-pack:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dat1w27jn2ouma5/Tug%201_1.craft?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xocdn3l8m9k6bg/Quad%20Tug%201_1c.craft?dl=0

note the "c" variant has the claw installed on the nose. The 4-pack also has five adapters connected: Two "universal" to standard port nosecone adapters (can carry extra fuel if desired), two standard to standard port extenders, and one 6-way adapter.

Enjoy!

Rune, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes posting this here. I have no intention of starting a spacecraft company right now, but would love to share crafts from time to time... If you would like to adopt these as your own, modify them as you see fit, include them as part of the R-SUV stable, or whatever, please feel free to do so.

As for the single-dock pushing, I have already seen bending issues and had to reload quicksaves without even doing any maneuvering, so I am a little concerned. Have been considering re-allocating these four to some other duties and putting up a new pack set up for pulling and with KAS struts and grab rails already installed - what do you think?

No probs man. I won't link in R-SUV, because the space there is at a premium (quite crowded right now as it is, and there are still a couple things to add... I might have to cut the SSTO catalogue) but if someone asks for a link and it is provided during a very civil discussion, well, this thread is going in the right direction for a "spacecraft exchange". :)

Alrighty then! Just finished updating the drive pods on my Duna-bound station. Thought you might appreciate some screenshots!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Obviously I love my autopilot, but on this sortie I discovered that it can be fooled - particularly if you tell it to dock with a port that's in a tight spot or a port that is facing away from it. I placed the new pods around the outer ring using mainly autopilot, but when I tried to send it after the obsolete pods it just turned around and ran. So I manually flew it in close and once I got within a few meters selected the control port, switched off the safeties and let the autopilot correct the alignment and dock. Tight maneuvering with a big tug will really get your blood going!

In my plain old VB around Kerbin, I did actually fill the ring with fuel. When I docked the Heinlein to refuel, it shook so badly that the ring broke apart and everything broke apart. Has that happened to anyone else?

Not specifically with the Heinlein, but with my quad tug array it happened. The rig started oscillating back and forth and even with all inputs disabled, SAS off, MechJeb off, and all torque disabled, the amplitude of the oscillation just kept getting bigger and bigger until it tore itself apart. Then I got KAS and attached a couple of struts in the longest EVA I have ever had.

Since then I found a few things:

1: bending at docking ports with unstable oscillation is nothing unusual in the game - I'm personally hoping for a fix to this one soon...

2: turning on time warp, however briefly will eliminate all torque on your vessel. So if you toggle time warp on and off when the alignment is as straight as possible, you should be able to eliminate the oscillating. Maybe it takes two or three cycles of the time warp, but it should straighten it out for you I hope (cause that's what I plan to do if I ever see it again).

3: KJR (Kerbal Joint Reinforcement) strengthens joints when coming out of time warp. It may have already eliminated the problem for me since I haven't seen it happen after installing KJR.

Good Luck!

Danny

Thanks, Danny

I already have KJR, so it didn't help.

I will try the time warp thing

I also now just fill up the nodes close to the crossbar, 3-4 on either side. Seems to make it a bit stable, but with less capacity.

Thanks, Danny

I already have KJR, so it didn't help.

I will try the time warp thing

I also now just fill up the nodes close to the crossbar, 3-4 on either side. Seems to make it a bit stable, but with less capacity.

Hum. I've had a few brushes with the Kraken, but nothing quite as dramatic as you describe... then again, most of the time I leave SAS off because with docked ships, the thing gets confused thinking the whole structure is a rigid body, when it most definitely isn't. Still, with a Heinlein docked on the axial Sr. port, it should still have enough rigidity to hold station with SAS on, either fuelled on empty.

Rune. I do use the timewarp glitch to kill rotation often. :blush:

Sorry, should have been more clear. The Heinlein was attached to one of the inline ports on the edge, close to the habitats, as I was dropping some rescued kerbals off for later pickup. Maybe killing SAS is the way to go if it's too full. I have managed to just fill it up a little and seems to be OK.

And now, a Rune signature tribute...

Gilph. I'm not perfect...but parts of me are excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
So... 20 days from Duna (yeah, my game clock runs pretty slow as I tend to have 50 missions up at a time...)... question is, should I aerobrake the ring or just burn the fuel to slow it down. Rune - will she hold up aerobraking down to 30km at a speed of 7500 m/s?

Danny

I actually wouldn't try that if you have the fuel to spare. This is in no way thermal-proofed to survive a reentry, so you would probably burn up at least the solar panels, and the backup RTGs as well, maybe even the probe core. BTW, 7,500m/s is in solar orbit, right? Because if not, you did something very weird for the transfer to Duna...

Oh, and note the relatively big gravity well of Ike, if you fiddle with your entry I'm sure you can squeeze a gravity assist out of it, maybe even capture without expending fuel... just try to make it bend your trajectory retrograde and/or more circular (I.E: left and out), that's how I hunt for grav assists "by Mk I eyeball".

Rune. Relative velocity should be much less when you cross into its SOI.

yeah, 7500 is Solar orbital velocity... I'll see if I can plan a gravity assist from Ike. I'll skip aerobraking with the ring if you don't recommend. No sense risking the lives of the 40-ish Kerbals aboard (including about 15 tourists!!). About 4 days left now (I decided to put all other activities on hold until the 20 Duna missions currently en-route arrive). Last night I put Bill and his Trident in orbit along with a 9-kerbal VSSTO lander. Not sure where my mapping satellite disappeared to... guess we'll be landing on Duna and Ike without its benefit. I figure all of these missions will arrive at Duna sometime today - this will be FUN!

Danny

I downloaded this station a few months ago, and have been using it as my Kerbin station. I love it and may keep it as my Kerbin station for the foreseeable future.

I made some minor changes on it just for part count sake.

yeah, 7500 is Solar orbital velocity... I'll see if I can plan a gravity assist from Ike. I'll skip aerobraking with the ring if you don't recommend. No sense risking the lives of the 40-ish Kerbals aboard (including about 15 tourists!!). About 4 days left now (I decided to put all other activities on hold until the 20 Duna missions currently en-route arrive). Last night I put Bill and his Trident in orbit along with a 9-kerbal VSSTO lander. Not sure where my mapping satellite disappeared to... guess we'll be landing on Duna and Ike without its benefit. I figure all of these missions will arrive at Duna sometime today - this will be FUN!

Danny

My oh my, aren't you a busy kerbal. Godspeed! :)

I downloaded this station a few months ago, and have been using it as my Kerbin station. I love it and may keep it as my Kerbin station for the foreseeable future.

I made some minor changes on it just for part count sake.

Well, glad to hear that! I hope it serves you well.

Rune. Screenies of these around Duna and other places would be very welcome!

Oooh - Screenies? You mean like these of Bill aerobraking into Duna orbit in his Trident?

First attempt was epic fail. Tried to come in retro with the intent of firing retro at peri and doing the aerobraking and rocket braking all together... She tumbled and couldn't produce enough drag to prevent Duna escape and didn't have enough fuel to capture without aero... Second attempt I brought her in Due East (about 5 degrees starboard of prograde) with 90 degrees pitch and 0 roll. Peri of 20k produced a beautiful orbit with no fuel spent.

Or do you mean these of the ring coming in?

I actually tried to drag the edge through the atmosphere, but didn't get low enough to complete the tourism requirements for atmospheric flights... I guess 49k is still not atmospheric...

Danny

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.