• Ubuntu
    • Elementary OS
    • Mint
    • Fedora
    • Arch
    • Debian-Based
    • Arch-Based
    • Other (Post Below!)

Everyone knows that the KSP community has a large portion of linux users. I think it would be interesting if we all shared which distros we used.

Personally I use Elementary OS on my laptop, I like the very minimal GUI to maximize screen space and Ubuntu on my P.C, which if I'm going to be honest am not loving that much and will probably switch that to Elementary as well.

Post your distros below!

Gentoo.

Gentoo is what some would describe as an insanely difficult-to-manage distro, but it gives me the power to do things my way. You can call me a masochist all you like, but working with Gentoo since mid-2005 has given me the chops to take on an IT career. Trial by fire, I suppose.

After some abortive attempts with Red Hat, I finally found success with Slackware. Since then I mainly stick with Debian-based distros, because apt-get is frankly much quicker than compiling from source, even if you don't feel quite as 1337 doing it.

Echoing what FuzzyLlama said, I'm rather glad I went with Slackware for my initial outings. It was a pretty awesome generalized introduction to Linux which served me well when the time came to learning the Debian way of doing things. There's a lot to be said for distros that don't make a lot of assumptions about how you want to do things - the time you spend doing RTFM pays dividends when things don't work as planned.

Debian; mostly using KDE as the UI presently on my desktop machine at home although a big fan of WindowMaker, which I run at work. Headless for the server.

- - - Updated - - -

There's no Debian, only "Debian-Based"?

Yeah; somewhat disappointing. Ubuntu and Mint are "Debian-Based" :P

I guess I'm too new to vote on this forum.

Using Xubuntu.

Started out trying Slackware but did not get it running (could not detect my hard disk). The first distro I got running was Redhat 4.5* in 1997 in text mode, then Redhat 5.0 with XWindows. Was a SuSE user between 1998 & 2008, (X)Ubuntu since then.

* Weird, that version did not exist according to the version history, but I am sure I remember it that way... It came as a CD in a book, perhaps an unofficial version by the book's author.

My active distros are Xubuntu on my old netbook and Debian KDE on my KSP laptop. I've always wanted to try Elementary OS, but I've yet to get around to it.

I run an elementary version especially for my ASUS eeePC, quite comfortable with it, although I almost only use it for internet at my parents' and videos during railroad trips.

There's no Debian, only "Debian-Based"?

"There is no Debian, only Zuul!"

I made the list loosely based on the distrowatch.com list of top distros, and Debian is not near the top of that list but several Debian derivatives are

Makes sense, those rankings are only page hits. :P

Reminds me, must do something about the 3-ish years with no updates Arch install on my netbook... could be an interesting upgrade.

Edited by steve_v

Mint is MINT! I mainly just use Mint because I like it's set out's and stuff. I really only use Linux/unix for compiling my programs and OS's anyway

Yes, you make an OS by using an OS. Illuminati Confirmed?

I've tried Mint and Ubuntu, but I'm going to commit grand blasphemy among the high-performance KSP community by saying I prefer Win7 and WinXP and dislike Linux/Unix. To make a long story short at this point getting me onto Linux is like retooling and overhauling an old machine that's hard to find parts for. Win7's what I use, and WinXP's what I learned on back in the day. And no matter what OS I use XP will always hold a special little place in my heart.

Edited by Flymetothemun

As of Wednesday, I began a trial run of Debian on a partition on my laptop (I managed to forget which specific flavor already, whoops). This is a preparation step for a future potential partitioning of my desktop and, maybe, if enough software gains support, a possible Full Transfer. Also handy for directly testing linux versions of games.

...Yes, you make an OS by using an OS. Illuminati Confirmed?

Bootstrapping: to pull oneself upwards by ones own bootlaces. You need an OS to run the compiler to build the OS to run the compiler...

LinuxFromScratch is an interesting project, I actually ran it for a while (using RPM for package management) but like Debian it's not a poll option :(

Then again, can a book be a distro?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.