Science Lab Not Generating Enough Science

So I got the science lab, filled it with data, have 2 scientists in it, have a control pod attached to it, lots of batteries and solar panels (it won't run out of power even during the night). In the right-click menu it says that the science rate is ~.5 per day. However, after returning some days later, it has only produced ~.3 science. I time warped while having the vessel active and surely enough the amount of science goes up slowly, only it's not even near ~.5 per day. It's generating something like ~.01 science per day. What could be wrong?

Did you start research? If so i would just get more data then processes it into the lab and sit back. When i land my mobile processing labs on the moon they produce about 7 science a day. That's with the surface sample and EVA report and all the other experiments.

Did you start research? If so i would just get more data then processes it into the lab and sit back. When i land my mobile processing labs on the moon they produce about 7 science a day. That's with the surface sample and EVA report and all the other experiments.

Also, you get more science per day the more data you stuff in it - when you get close to the 500 data limit, you'll maximise the rate of return. Alternatively, add more/better scientists. Can't explain why your research rate is so apparently low though.

Wemb

Also, you get more science per day the more data you stuff in it - when you get close to the 500 data limit, you'll maximise the rate of return.

I didn't realize this when I first started using the Mobile processing lab, and was also wondering why the rate of return was so low. As soon as I figured this out I VERY quickly maxed out my tech tree with thousands of science to spare!

It already contains 491 data. Still yielding a petty trickle of science. Does it matter if it's landed or in orbit? I can't fathom how someone could get 7 science per day.

This post has been deleted by the user for displaying incorrect information.

Edited by Edax

Given the low gravity it's well worth flying your lab out to Minmus and work there - the extra dV to get the fuel to get it out there compared to getting the damn thing off Kerbin is pretty cheap compared to the results.

Wemb

Given the low gravity it's well worth flying your lab out to Minmus and work there - the extra dV to get the fuel to get it out there compared to getting the damn thing off Kerbin is pretty cheap compared to the results.

Wemb

and all you need is to step out of the lab and perform Eva Report over a new biome for a valuable experiment. Same goes for Gravity Scan. And fetching science from Minmus surface? A bounty of science! Material bay observation on the surface is some 170 points.

So I got the science lab, filled it with data, have 2 scientists in it, have a control pod attached to it, lots of batteries and solar panels (it won't run out of power even during the night). In the right-click menu it says that the science rate is ~.5 per day. However, after returning some days later, it has only produced ~.3 science. I time warped while having the vessel active and surely enough the amount of science goes up slowly, only it's not even near ~.5 per day. It's generating something like ~.01 science per day. What could be wrong?

do you have enough power, even during the night?

It's in LKO at the moment but I'll be moving it to the Mun to fulfill a contract. I'll report back if I see anything working differently.

It does have enough power even during the night, at least in LKO.

Thanks for the tips.

I just put my first lab in Kerbal orbit but I've done most of my Kerbal science. Since the lab processes data, does it care that the science value is 0? Can I run around Kerbal surface recollecting 0-science experiments from the biomes and fly the kerbal up to the lab and have him transfer it to the lab?

I just put my first lab in Kerbal orbit but I've done most of my Kerbal science. Since the lab processes data, does it care that the science value is 0? Can I run around Kerbal surface recollecting 0-science experiments from the biomes and fly the kerbal up to the lab and have him transfer it to the lab?
Yes! lol. Kerbal scientists don't seem to mind that their program manager puts them in competition with each other, studying the same samples and reports over and over. Who knows what they might come up with?

Data is data, whether new or old. A lab remembers what it has studied and won't accept the same thing twice. But you can run as many labs as you have Kerbal scientists to staff them - and patience to put up with all of that running around ;)

The easiest local job is Mimimus. Low gravity makes it easier to hop around biomes / regions, farming for science. Kebin science data has a poor multiplier, it's just there to get you started.

A Lab landed on Eve will generate more science then one in orbit around Kerbin, yes. A lab landed on Kerbin will generate science at a 90% penalty rate, so I'm told.

Almost completely wrong. True: there's a 25% bonus if the lab is in the same situation&biome as the data it's processing. That is, science from in space low around the Mun will yield 25% more data if the lab is currently in space low around the Mun. There's also a smaller bonus for being landed while processing. If you are anywhere else, you will get the standard amount. There's no bonus to processing science from the Mun on Eve. However, there is a huge malus if you are on the surface of Kerbin.

But all of these only affect processing, that is, feeding data into the lab. The rate at which the data is then converted into science is not, rpt not affected by location.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.