[Discontinued] [1.0.x] Old School Turrets - Additional WWII Turrets for BDArmory. (Yep, with the T-34)

The 8.8 cm is very big IMO. I might add a sub mod that adds huge naval turrets for naval fans out there.

Could battleship looking guns in more of a kerbal scale (e.g. 3.2 inch instead of 16 inch) be a possibility? I'd love battleships, but I doubt my computer could actually handle the part count for so much as a light cruiser that isn't dwarfed by its guns.

I want to make 'spaced armor' that has just enough ablativeness to block one shot and get destroyed/dislodged from a craft in the second shot. What do you think?

Copying the stock Abaltor module onto a 1x1 structural panel gives you that effect pretty nicely

Edited by Thatdude253
Screwed up....

I'm lovin' these things. Mostly.

I think the scale's a bit off, though. Feels to me, and this may just be because I build small rovers by default, but it feels like these turrets are scaled accurately to real life rather than to Kerbals, which makes them HUGE in KSP. The damage also seems to be a bit excessive, I've built some AFVs that can bounce 90mm shots from another tank turret mod(More Dakka I think) all day long, yet even the weakest actual cannon in this mod goes through it like butter.

Aside from that and the lack of a T-34/85 turret I'm quite happy with the mod!

Would love a BD armory extension for more WWII themed weapons. For aviation especially.

Fixed .30, .50 Brownings, 7.7mm, 7.92mm, 20mm, 30mm cannons for wing mounting would be a godsend. Also, an M1919 and M2 commander's cupola mount for tank use wouldn't go amiss I think.

I'm lovin' these things. Mostly.

I think the scale's a bit off, though. Feels to me, and this may just be because I build small rovers by default, but it feels like these turrets are scaled accurately to real life rather than to Kerbals, which makes them HUGE in KSP. The damage also seems to be a bit excessive, I've built some AFVs that can bounce 90mm shots from another tank turret mod(More Dakka I think) all day long, yet even the weakest actual cannon in this mod goes through it like butter.

Aside from that and the lack of a T-34/85 turret I'm quite happy with the mod!

Fixed .30, .50 Brownings, 7.7mm, 7.92mm, 20mm, 30mm cannons for wing mounting would be a godsend. Also, an M1919 and M2 commander's cupola mount for tank use wouldn't go amiss I think.

Thanks for bring some problems up that i didn't know about, like the scale which i do care about a lot. I did use accurate measurements (To be honest i launched an old WWII RTS game i had, launched the level editor, placed down a tank, spawned a meter stick and measured the tank turret with a meter stick.). Though which particular turrets are out of scale?

I never considered to balance the turrets for NeverEnuffDakka, so it may cause some problems with it. I'll put NeverEnuffDakka's turrets in my part balancing spreadsheet and i'll see what i can do.

Don't worry about 30mm cannons. It's in the works. The M2 mount seems easy enough, though i might save it for later.

Edited by CrayzeeMonkey

In all honesty. The turret structure in the new BDArmory isn't actually THAT different. But there are some pretty major differences with the CFG that i may have to play around with. I already have the models ready except for a few touches. I didn't expect BDArmory to release so early so sadly no land mattress or Flak 88s in this update. I redid and tweaked a few of the turrets and added in some other stuff.

Also, i redid the Tiger turret to match more closely to real life. What do you guys think?

Though which particular turrets are out of scale?

Late reply I know, but all of them seem a bit on the big side. The T-34/76's turret is the worst offender, though, it's bigger than the KV-1 turret. If'n you need measurements or photos lemme know, I have...hmm, Panther, T-34/76 and Tiger I in 1/35th plastic on my desk.

Speaking of, I held the turret from my Tiger I model up to my screen while your preview screenshot was up. It's pretty much bang on!

In all honesty, i don't have much time to set up my mods properly and orderly and to figure out all of the new stuff. So development may be much slower, just throwing that out there. Sorry :(. Really stressful real life stuff i have to deal with. I'll try to work on it as much as i can.

Late reply I know, but all of them seem a bit on the big side. The T-34/76's turret is the worst offender, though, it's bigger than the KV-1 turret. If'n you need measurements or photos lemme know, I have...hmm, Panther, T-34/76 and Tiger I in 1/35th plastic on my desk.

Speaking of, I held the turret from my Tiger I model up to my screen while your preview screenshot was up. It's pretty much bang on!

Those measurements would be AWESOME. Where did you get the measurements to make those plastic models in the first place? I'd love to check it out.

Parts looks awesome! The only suggestion is could you add fire animations for all turrets?

I'm certainly adding animations (for the revamped tiger). However not all of them, the T-34-76 and KV-1 gun doesn't really 'kick back' when firing, but correct me if i'm wrong.

Where did you get the measurements to make those plastic models in the first place? I'd love to check it out.

The companies that made the models did the measurin'. I can relay those numbers, though. They're widely accepted to be highly accurate models!
I'm certainly adding animations (for the revamped tiger). However not all of them, the T-34-76 and KV-1 gun doesn't really 'kick back' when firing, but correct me if i'm wrong.

All tank guns need to have some sort of recoil system or they'll destroy the turret ring and trunnions. Even the fairly weak F-34 76.2mm cannon in the T-34/76 turret and ZiS-5 76.2mm gun in the KV-1 turret you've made have enough kick to make life impossible on the crew and destroy turret bearings in short order.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.