Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

For accuracy's sake, wouldn't the real life counterpart of The Galactic Core be Sagitarius A*?
Yes. Minor mistake: you forgot a t -> Sagittarius A*

I want the core to be the most boring thing possible. this is on purpose so that players will enjoy the neighborhood

So that's why I didn't give it any real life analogue.

Plus, I wanted an excuse to put a link that would make people go LOL

Perhaps It's an idea to integrate Terrestrial Planet Pack 0.3 into K-Stor system. The Terrestrial Planet Pack is about creating a chalange. I think the planets would fit right at home in this incomprehesible solar system. :cool:

I'm a little iffy about adding third party planets into the core mod systems.

I'm still convinced I could get Killashley to make some nice planets to sprinkle on those stars :D

also, I would rather have boring planets in very scenic orbits around those stars. to put the emphasis on the stars rather than on the planets.

I will gladly look into adding them to GN, if not on the core stars, on a dedicated one, like all the other planet packs :)

thank you for the suggestion!

Edited by Sigma88

Btw, I think the mod should include an optional download to communication dishes capable of bridging interstellar distances. Standard Remote Tech dishes simply don't cut it when transmitting at that distance. I good candidate would be a enlarged versions of [1.04] ORIGAMI foldable antenna dishes for RemoteTech

Btw, I think the mod should include an optional download to communication dishes capable of bridging interstellar distances. Standard Remote Tech dishes simply don't cut it when transmitting at that distance. I good candidate would be a modified version of [1.04] ORIGAMI foldable antenna dishes for RemoteTech

I had half an Idea of making a request for some kind of "subspace communication" or something weird thing that could allow for remote tech communication between star systems.

I decided it was better to wait a bit, since this feature will be added to KSP stock in the next patch.

I'll give to the remote tech guys the time to bring their mod up-to-speed with KSP 1.1 and when it's oficially compatible I'll open a thread requesting such a mod.

I could just add a part with superboosted range, but it would feel a lazy solution.

(btw, I love the origami mod :D )

I could just add a part with superboosted range, but it would feel a lazy solution.
Well at least it will allow you to send science reports home from manned vessels. Trying to control probes at that distance would be madeness. Alternatively, they send an Artifical Inteligence MechJeb ;)

Before making Pluron-Khato compatible with SigmaBinary I used to receive some messages from people asking me how to remove the binary behaviour from the system.

Is there anyone that feels the same about the star systems in this mod?

I decided to make them binaries as a default because it was easier to implement for the alpha, but since we'll switch to beta in a relatively near future I would like to know if there is anyone that would like the option of playing on non-binary systems. (and, if so, why)

cheers

Sigma

I don't know how your binary mod works, but will it change the way the stars rotate if you drop the binary mod?

this mod does binaries in the same way SigmaBinary does.

but as of now the stars are in binary systems by default, you don't need to install SigmaBinary.

If there were a considerable amount of people that would rather play on systems that are not binary, I will add SigmaBinary compatibility.

If I was to make that change, the only thing that would change for you, if you want to play with the binary set-up, is that you will need to install SigmaBinary alongside Galactic Network.

the physics of the game would remain the same, since the code used to make them will be the same regardless if SigmaBinary is needed or not

basically, the only thing this change would bring, is that without SigmaBinary the star systems would follow simple orbits instead of binary ones.

Edited by Sigma88

Is anyone using this mod other than FreeThinker? If you do make sure you report here what you think and if you are having issues. (like FreeThinker does)

We can definitely use the help to find out all the problems in this mod.

We definatly need more testers. I recently rebalced the KSPI Warp Drives. There are now 3 classed of warp drives (Light, Medium and Heavy). They desperatly need a test drive!

Btw, I think this mod needs to be hosted on Kerbalstuff, that way we get more testers.

Edited by FreeThinker

We definatly need more testers. I recently rebalced the KSPI Warp Drives. There are now 3 classed of warp drives (Light, Medium and Heavy). They desperatly need a test drive!

Btw, I think this mod needs to be hosted on Kerbalstuff, that way we get more testers.

I'm currently working on the overhaul of the barycenter system used to make the stars into binary systems, this change is necessary to enhance compatibility and will need the next kopernicus patch in order to be effective.

So when kopernicus 0.4 comes out, if me and KillAshley have finished what we're currently working on (binary overhaul for me, stars energy curves for killashley) I think it will be time to move out from alpha, enter beta.

In that occasion I will also add a kerbalstuff download, which will definitely help with the visibility. I wanted to wait untill the worse bugs are solved before pushing it to kerbalstuff because I didn't want people to get "burned" for the bugs

I was wondering, how is the Solar Power and Solar Heating implemented in GN. For KSPI, I just removed it's custom Solar Wasteheat and Power mechanism. It would not make any sence in GN as it depends on the nearest star. In particualr how Solar heating and power is handled in the systems with multiple stars.

Edited by FreeThinker

I was wondering, how is the Solar Power and Solar Heating implemented in GN. For KSPI, I just removed it's custom Solar Wasteheat and Power mechanism. It would not make any sence in GN as it depends on the nearest star. In particualr how Solar heating and power is handled in the systems with multiple stars.

All I know is that each star has a "EnergyCurve" and "HeatingCurve", I suppose those are used to calculate energy generation from solarpanels and heating from solar irradiation.

But that's the part KillAshley will add, so I don't know how it works exactly.

Now this might be the biggest mod I've ever seen.

Just so you know, I'm considering to add a star system myself. When I succeed, I'll make some compatibility configs so it can be used with this mod and/or with KerbalGalaxy 2.

I can handle the majority of the compatibility from my side. do you plan to add a star system like pkmniako does in Other_Worlds? that would work pretty well with Stock, GN and KG2.

I can handle the majority of the compatibility from my side. do you plan to add a star system like pkmniako does in Other_Worlds? that would work pretty well with Stock, GN and KG2.

Yes, I plan to add a star system. I might even add multiple. However, in that case I'll probably turn it into another galaxy mod, and for compatibility I will also be releasing other script files for the stars so their orbits aren't colliding with other stars or cluttering up the galaxy.

Yes, I plan to add a star system. I might even add multiple. However, in that case I'll probably turn it into another galaxy mod, and for compatibility I will also be releasing other script files for the stars so their orbits aren't colliding with other stars or cluttering up the galaxy.

if you make another galaxy mod I won't look at compatibility untill I have solved all the other problems

but if you just add stars (like Other_Worlds) I can make them compatible with GN very easily.

I could even put them in the same system (distant binaries, each of them with the planets you give them :)

Hey Sigma will you add Kerbol Plus?

^This.

Really excited for this.

I've wanted to play an OPM w Kerbol Plus & Trans-Keptunian, will it be possible to do something like that or will I have to go interstellar to get to these systems?

In a typical patch Kerbol + & Trans-Keptunian don't play nice together, which sucks because all the planets look beautiful and the objects in the system are so nicely spaced and varied when integrated with stock. :(

^This.

Really excited for this.

I've wanted to play an OPM w Kerbol Plus & Trans-Keptunian, will it be possible to do something like that or will I have to go interstellar to get to these systems?

In a typical patch Kerbol + & Trans-Keptunian don't play nice together, which sucks because all the planets look beautiful and the objects in the system are so nicely spaced and varied when integrated with stock. :(

TK and OPM are already compatible with GN, if you install GN + OPM + TK your game will have:

- the standard GN stars (listed here)

- an additional star for the OPM system

- an additional star for the TK system

For now K+ it's not stable enough, there's the risk that I write a config for compatibility and then K+ is updated breaking compatibility.

when the mod will be stable enough I'll add it to GN and you will have another additional star for K+

in GN you always start from the stock system, and you need to go interstellar to go visit other systems.

there are no wormholes, the only shortcuts available are HyperEditing crafts to other systems or changing the position of kerbin with a module manager patch

if you make another galaxy mod I won't look at compatibility untill I have solved all the other problems

but if you just add stars (like Other_Worlds) I can make them compatible with GN very easily.

I could even put them in the same system (distant binaries, each of them with the planets you give them :)

I wonder what the effect of adding more systems on performance, will it only increase memory requirements or also an increasing overal game performance. Would be intresting if someone create a bench mark and look if any framerate changes can be detected between one or multiple system loaded.

I wonder what the effect of adding more systems on performance, will it only increase memory requirements or also an increasing overal game performance. Would be intresting if someone create a bench mark and look if any framerate changes can be detected between one or multiple system loaded.

Having to load more celestial bodies will have a significant performance hit, especially when using cloud mods, so beware.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll take a look at the scripts from Other_Worlds and the scripts from Galactic Neighborhood to see how the stars are coded, and I'll try to replicate those codes. As for the planets, I mostly use OPM's configs as an example, so if OPM is compatible withb GN then my mod will be too.

In that case it will also be compatible with KerbalGalaxy 2, because I've played with OPM and KG2 installed (I slightly edited OPM's configs so the planets loaded around the unused star Nim).

I will make sure my mod is compatible with most (if not all) other Kopernicus mods at all times.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.