Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

Yes there is the increased loading times, but will it affect when your far away from any atmosphere. Are these clouds mods doing extensive processing in the background at all times?

I think it will.

I remember having a telescope mod and I was able to see clouds rendered on Jool from kerbin

- - - Updated - - -

I'll take a look at the scripts from Other_Worlds and the scripts from Galactic Neighborhood to see how the stars are coded, and I'll try to replicate those codes. As for the planets, I mostly use OPM's configs as an example, so if OPM is compatible withb GN then my mod will be too.

All you need to do to allow easy compatibility is to put your star in orbit around the sun. you can choose whichever SMA you like.

In stock KSP the star will orbit the sun

In GN I will take care of moving the star to the correct position in the galactic arm

In KG2 I'm not sure how they handle things, if they don't add compatibility you can make a ModuleManager patch that will move your star if KG2 is installed.

For GN I rather have the control over the positioning of stars, so that I can give support more easily. plus, some positions are not allowed to maintain a certain level of coherence.

(for example in Other_worlds the star is classified as "the closest star to Kerbol" which cannot be true in GN.)

I also reserve the right to change the name of the star if I don't think it fits the KSP style.

You can ask to any of the developers of the compatible mods, I think none of them has ever had any problem with my "rules".

All you need to do to allow easy compatibility is to put your star in orbit around the sun. you can choose whichever SMA you like.

In stock KSP the star will orbit the sun

In GN I will take care of moving the star to the correct position in the galactic arm

In KG2 I'm not sure how they handle things, if they don't add compatibility you can make a ModuleManager patch that will move your star if KG2 is installed.

For GN I rather have the control over the positioning of stars, so that I can give support more easily. plus, some positions are not allowed to maintain a certain level of coherence.

(for example in Other_worlds the star is classified as "the closest star to Kerbol" which cannot be true in GN.)

I also reserve the right to change the name of the star if I don't think it fits the KSP style.

You can ask to any of the developers of the compatible mods, I think none of them has ever had any problem with my "rules".

You reserve the right to change the name of the star? Your modpack, so fair enough I guess. I think I'm going to name the star 'Polarinas' after 'Polaris', though this name might change in the future. Also, in the compatibility configs I'll make sure that the info tags aren't lying about stuff such as 'the closest star to Kerbol'.

Also, how did you create those corona textures? I have no idea how to do that. :confused:

Edited by The White Guardian

You reserve the right to change the name of the star? Your modpack, so fair enough I guess. I think I'm going to name the star 'Polarinas' after 'Polaris', though this name might change in the future. Also, in the compatibility configs I'll make sure that the info tags aren't lying about stuff such as 'the closest star to Kerbol'.

yeah, there are some names that I won't put into my mod.

for example kerbol won't be used. Sol will be used only for RSS (if I ever add RSS to GN) and Sun is the name of the stock star.

I won't support some clearly riddiculus names and I'd rather not use real life names (except for Sun and Sol)

I don't have anything particular against Polarinas so that's fine, but the role of "pole star" is already taken.

this said, I won't force any changes on you. If you don't like the limitation I may put, I don't have any problems with leaving you manage the compatibility. :)

yeah, there are some names that I won't put into my mod.

for example kerbol won't be used. Sol will be used only for RSS (if I ever add RSS to GN) and Sun is the name of the stock star.

I won't support some clearly riddiculus names and I'd rather not use real life names (except for Sun and Sol)

I don't have anything particular against Polarinas so that's fine, but the role of "pole star" is already taken.

this said, I won't force any changes on you. If you don't like the limitation I may put, I don't have any problems with leaving you manage the compatibility. :)

Don't worry, I only chose named my mod's star after Polaris because I like how 'Polaris' sounds. Also, I've already finished a few textures. The only problem is the star. How did you get the stars to look so awesome in GN?

Anyone noticed any problem with rovers getting stuck in the ground? WHen I try to start a rover from the runway or lauch bay, I tend to fall a bit to the ground, causing me to get stock. Airplane weels do no seem to have this problem.

yeah that's most likely a kopernicus bug that happens when reparenting kerbin.

Sadly there's no idea of what's causing it and it won't go away soon.

usually launching from the VAB/SPH helps, instead of launching from the KSC view.

Hey do you plan on releasing a compatibility patch with Kerbol Plus? We've fixed most of the big bugs with the mod so we are (kind of) close to releasing a stable new version.

I will need some time, I'm currently overehauling the whole mod to enhance compatibility in general.

I think that for when I will be done with all this stuff your stable release should be out, and I can add compatibility for it then ;)

I will need some time, I'm currently overehauling the whole mod to enhance compatibility in general.

I think that for when I will be done with all this stuff your stable release should be out, and I can add compatibility for it then ;)

Sigma, how did you create the corona's for the stars? Is there a generator for it somewhere, or is it hand-made?

hehe

yes, RSS is confirmed! :)

I'm still working on overhauling a lot of stuff, expect the next release to come out when kopernicus 0.4 is released

I may need some time to fix some bugs if kopernicus will change stuff. but it's looking good for now.

hehe

yes, RSS is confirmed! :)

I'm still working on overhauling a lot of stuff, expect the next release to come out when kopernicus 0.4 is released

I may need some time to fix some bugs if kopernicus will change stuff. but it's looking good for now.

I've got an announcement to make! I was finally able to export normals as DXT5_nm from GIMP and Kopernicus seems to like them, so I've made some incredible progress on the promised solar system. I've also changed the star's name, it is now named 'Kobalt' because it is light blue.

I've already got a basic version of a dwarf planet and three gas giants, the giants being clones of Neidon from OPM but with diffrent maps so they're far from done, but at least they work. One of the giants already got a set of moons, though one of it's moons is still unfinished, while another might be removed from the final mod because it doesn't show up.

I've tested three of the moons and the dwarf planet so far, all were landable. However, I did notice a strange bug when attempting to land on an asteroid moon with an SOI of 24km: all planets, including my own, just shot out of their orbits. I also had OPM installed, and even those planets left their orbits. Only Neidon, Plock and the giant whose system I was exploring stayed in their orbits. I was able to solve it by warping myself to another planet with Hyperedit (I'm using Hyperedit to get to the new moons right away so I can test them).

So, either my mod is making the game unstable or Hyperedit and Kopernicus do not like each other. I'd guess the latter one, for Hyperedit can also change a planet's orbit which might conflict with Kopernicus. I'll just hold my fingers crossed and hope the issue goes away when I remove Hyperedit from my game...

Galactic Neighborhood Alpha v0.0.4

Download

[TABLE=width: 100]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]5IdGJ3n.png

@GitHub

devBuild-%40GitHub-lightgrey.svg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

report issues here

Changelog

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]

[B]v0.0.4[/B]

- Now Requires Kopernicus 0.4.0
- Added compatibility with RSS
- Added compatibility with Sylandro's Planet Warehouse
- Added compatibility with finalizeOrbits
- Binary systems can now be removed from the GN stars (optional)
- Rearranged folder structure
- Preparing to add compatibility with rescale mods.
- Automatic generation of BrightnessCurves for all stars
- Automatic generation of powerCurve for all stars
- Increased barycenters' radius to 61 meters
- Fixed Cloud compatibility for OPM system

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Planet suggestion #2!

A brand new planet pack called Kronkus.

Looks fairly well made, but I haven't tried it yet

I think this is the gas giant MrChumley designed to keep company to his other planet (Asclepius) so it will be an easy addition.

I've just sent a pm to him to be sure.

I found several in-development packs you should try to add when they are done : The Urania Planet Pack (For Kopernicus) and the Kerbal Outer Bodies expansion.

Oh? Is Sido porting Urania over to Kopernicus? Awesome! The Urania pack was probably one of the best, if not the best planet pack out there back when everyone worked with PFCE, so it's great to see it returning.

why do you not provide support for new horzions, the mod that modifies the stock system? like, it can be done somewhat easily, just have the modified stock system inplace of the regular stock system. right? because, new horizons doesent add any new stars, just some planets and gas giants, and this mod moves other mod planets to new stars, so..... i guess it would work fine? maybe?

Supported Planet Packs

Asclepius will load in orbit around a blue sub-giant named Tyfon.

Boris System will load in orbit around a Red Dwarf named Blotch.

Chani Planet Pack will load in orbit around a blue-white main sequence star named Lapiun.

OtherWorlds' star system will load in orbit around the Galactic Core to fit with the other star systems.

Outer Planets Mod will load in orbit around a Sun-like yellow main sequence star named Helios.

Real Solar System (a shrinked version) will load in orbit around a G2V main sequence yellow dwarf named Sol.

Sentar Expansion will load in orbit around a red giant named Sloof.

Sylandro's Planet Warehouse will load in orbit around an orange main sequence star named Daneel.

Trans-Keptunian will load in orbit around a brown dwarf named Plide.

Coming Soon

(not available yet) New Horizons will load somewhere at KillAshley's discretion.

(not available yet) Kronkus will load in orbit around the same star as Asclepius.

Admittedly I've just added the last one :)

but it's a while that asclepius is up there ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.