Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

what do you mean "*then* people will start loading mods as if theirs no tomorrow"? im doing it now, on Linux, without crashes. and it works pretty alright. and i have like, a ton of mods. only problem is the extremely large loading times, but hey, atleast it doesent crash :)

I don't know how many people run ksp on linux. I would bet less than 10%. Probably even less than 5%.

And this means that the large majority of players run KSP in 32 bit.

Opinion: the Outer Planets Mod planets should still be in orbit around the KSP Sun, and the Trans-Keptunian planets should be in the same system as the Terrestrial Planets Pack planets.
this is not the aim of this mod but it's easily doable with a custom cfg so anyone can make their favourite mod load on a different system if they want

Glad to hear about the custom config option!:sticktongue: Since I'm in the same boat as Interplanet Janet (though a system with more or less only three gas giants sounds pretty interesting...)

Also, your link to Sentar Expansion might be linking to the wrong thread. Not sure though, since both posts have the same number of pages of replies it seems.

Correct(?) link:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/130329

I'll be giving this and some planet packs a try once 64bit comes with 1.1.

Edited by ev0

Glad to hear about the custom config option!:sticktongue: Since I'm in the same boat as Interplanet Janet (though a system with more or less only three gas giants sounds pretty interesting...)

in the Galactic Neighborhood, the star created for OPM (Helios) is orbited not only by the 4 OPM planets (Sarnus, Urlum, Neidon, Plock) but also by some clones of stock planets: Helios I (Moho), Helios II (Eve), Helios III (Kerbin), Helios IV (Duna) and Helios V (Jool).

since OPM moves Eeloo around Sarnus, but I need Eeloo to stay in its original position, Sarnus gets an Eeloo clone called "Sarnus III"

this is to maintain the original feel of OPM being the kerbalized version of the real solar system. no moons are loaded around those "clone" planets.

Also, your link to Sentar Expansion might be linking to the wrong thread. Not sure though, since both posts have the same number of pages of replies it seems.

Correct(?) link:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/130329

I'll be giving this and some planet packs a try once 64bit comes with 1.1.

you're right, for some reason I was linking to the dev-thread. fixed it.

Edited by Sigma88

in the Galactic Neighborhood, the star created for OPM (Helios) is orbited not only by the 4 OPM planets (Sarnus, Urlum, Neidon, Plock) but also by some clones of stock planets: Helios I (Moho), Helios II (Eve), Helios III (Kerbin), Helios IV (Duna) and Helios V (Jool).

since OPM moves Eeloo around Sarnus, but I need Eeloo to stay in its original position, Sarnus gets an Eeloo clone called "Sarnus III"

this is to maintain the original feel of OPM being the kerbalized version of the real solar system. no moons are loaded around those "clone" planets.

In cases like OPM where clone planets are created, will the user be able to configure in a cfg if they want the clone planets to load/exist or not? This is just to minimize the number of planets in the galaxy with 1:1 similarities.

And a much less optimistic question: will the radius of the orbits of any planets be configurable? Or are the orbits directly defined by each planet pack and thus locked in? If we're able to choose to not have clone planets, I might plan on moving the OPM planets more inward for my game save.

Thanks for the hard work!

In cases like OPM where clone planets are created, will the user be able to configure in a cfg if they want the clone planets to load/exist or not? This is just to minimize the number of planets in the galaxy with 1:1 similarities.

And a much less optimistic question: will the radius of the orbits of any planets be configurable? Or are the orbits directly defined by each planet pack and thus locked in? If we're able to choose to not have clone planets, I might plan on moving the OPM planets more inward for my game save.

Thanks for the hard work!

back when I actually played KSP I used to customize the mods I had installed. so, now that I'm on "the other side" user customization is something I always keep in mind while writing the configs.

both your questions have simple answers and are easy enough to apply.

First of all, if you just want to get rid of the stock clones, you can just delete the file:

GalacticNeighborhood/PlanetPacks/OPMSystem/OPM_StockClones.cfg

this is not the best solution by far, but it's the easiest.

doing this will get rid of all the clones except for Eeloo's. if you also delete the file called OPM_EelooFix.cfg you will not have 2 Eeloos.

although, since OPM moves Eeloo to orbit sarnus, your stock system will be without Eeloo.

If you want to customize your mods in a more efficient way, learning some basic modulemanager is the best solution.

It's a really simple way to edit stuff without the need to delete files from the mod itself.

for example, to delete all the stock clones (except for Eeloo's) you can use a patch like this:

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
!Body:HAS[#name[Helios?*]] {}
}

to delete the Eeloo clone (and keep the original Eeloo in the stock system) you can use this:

{
!Body:HAS[#name[Sarnus?III]] {}
}

to delete the Eeloo clone (and keep the original Eeloo in the OPM system) you can use this:

{
!Body:HAS[#name[Eeloo]] {}
@Body:HAS[#name[Sarnus?III]
{
@name = Eeloo
}
}

to change the distance of the OPM planets from helios you can use this:

{
@Body[Sarnus]
{
@Orbit
{
@semiMajorAxis = NEW_DISTANCE
}
}
@Body[Urlum]
{
@Orbit
{
}
}
@Body[Neidon]
{
@Orbit
{
}
}
@Body[Plock]
{
@Orbit
{
}
}
}

if you don't have any idea of what to do with those, you can get the hang of it by reading the first posts in the modulemanager thread and its wiki.

back when I actually played KSP I used to customize the mods I had installed. so, now that I'm on "the other side" user customization is something I always keep in mind while writing the configs.

both your questions have simple answers and are easy enough to apply.

First of all, if you just want to get rid of the stock clones, you can just delete the file:

GalacticNeighborhood/PlanetPacks/OPMSystem/OPM_StockClones.cfg

this is not the best solution by far, but it's the easiest.

doing this will get rid of all the clones except for Eeloo's. if you also delete the file called OPM_EelooFix.cfg you will not have 2 Eeloos.

although, since OPM moves Eeloo to orbit sarnus, your stock system will be without Eeloo.

If you want to customize your mods in a more efficient way, learning some basic modulemanager is the best solution.

It's a really simple way to edit stuff without the need to delete files from the mod itself.

for example, to delete all the stock clones (except for Eeloo's) you can use a patch like this:

if you don't have any idea of what to do with those, you can get the hang of it by reading the first posts in the modulemanager thread and its wiki.

Don't worry, I'm familiar enough with Module Manager:wink: Although you already did all the work for me! I'm glad that everything in Kopernicus and your mod are not hard-coded in a plugin, it's very much appreciated.

I just realized I could have also actually downloaded the mod and checked for config files myself, but I was waiting for 64bit before that:blush:

Don't worry, I'm familiar enough with Module Manager:wink: Although you already did all the work for me! I'm glad that everything in Kopernicus and your mod are not hard-coded in a plugin, it's very much appreciated.

I just realized I could have also actually downloaded the mod and checked for config files myself, but I was waiting for 64bit before that:blush:

you can also check the configs directly from the github repository (using a web browser)

and you can see the development version as well, so you can have an idea of what is coming

Hey I thought this looked really cool, (actually letting me get use out of Interstellar:D) but I can't seem to get it installed correctly. Everytime I install, I just got a stock system, and none of the packs work at all.

Hey I thought this looked really cool, (actually letting me get use out of Interstellar:D) but I can't seem to get it installed correctly. Everytime I install, I just got a stock system, and none of the packs work at all.

Sounds like there may be an installation issue...

I would suggest you to temporarily move all your mods out of gamedata, keep only "squad" "GalacticNeighborhood" and modulemanager

Everything should load fine

Then start adding the planet packs one by one.

If you are having problem with a specific planet pack let me know :)

After you have installed all the planet packs you can add your other mods. If the system loads fine with just the planet packs but breaks with your other mods send me a list so I can investigate

Sounds like there may be an installation issue...

I would suggest you to temporarily move all your mods out of gamedata, keep only "squad" "GalacticNeighborhood" and modulemanager

Everything should load fine

Then start adding the planet packs one by one.

If you are having problem with a specific planet pack let me know :)

After you have installed all the planet packs you can add your other mods. If the system loads fine with just the planet packs but breaks with your other mods send me a list so I can investigate

K, will do ASAP :)

Thank you for the quick reply!

I'm having a problem. I made a clean install, downloaded the mod and all dependencies and planetpacks. When only having galactic neighborhood, kopernicus and modulemanager installed, it works fine. however, when I install any planetpacks, it only shows the kerbol system and nothing else. I tried letting the mods overwrite and not letting them overwrite, that did nothing. what can I do?

Galactic Neighborhood Alpha v0.0.5

Download

[TABLE=width: 100]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]5IdGJ3n.png

@GitHub

devBuild-%40GitHub-lightgrey.svg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

report issues here

Changelog

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]

[B]v0.0.5[/B]

- Added compatibility with Kronkus Planet Pack
- Added compatibility with Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered
- Automatic generation of Particles effect for every star
- First attempt at rescale compatibility, use at own risk
- Force Kerbin to be the starting screen body
- Fixed small bug in powerCurve generation
- Fixed corona texture of the stock Sun

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I'm having a problem.

If I only install kopernicus, galactic neighborhood and module manager, it works fine. but if I install any of the planet packs, it doesn't work. it seems to revert back to the kerbol system without anything else. I tried letting mods overwrite kopernicus and not letting them do it, but it makes no difference. what am I doing wrong?

also, thanks moderators for deleting my first post. real nice to delete a bug report.

What do you mean by "First attempt at rescale compatibility, use at own risk"?

when installing the most common rescale packs, the stars in GN should rescale accordingly

I have not fully tested that feature, so it may not work 100%

that's why rescale mods are not described as compatible yet

- - - Updated - - -

I'm having a problem. I made a clean install, downloaded the mod and all dependencies and planetpacks. When only having galactic neighborhood, kopernicus and modulemanager installed, it works fine. however, when I install any planetpacks, it only shows the kerbol system and nothing else. I tried letting the mods overwrite and not letting them overwrite, that did nothing. what can I do?

which GN version are you using? and which planet packs?

regarding the Kopernicus overwriting, I would advise you to install the latest version of kopernicus from their thread and ignore the one re-distributed inside other planet packs. Of course doing this could cause problems if the specific planet pack is not compatible with the latest version of Kopernicus.

If that is the case, you'll need to wait for the planet pack to be brought up-to speed with Kopernicus.

In any case, as soon as I get your list of packs I'll try them and check if they are working properly :)

also, thanks moderators for deleting my first post. real nice to delete a bug report.

no Idea what happened there, I couldn't see your message before, but I can see it now.

I can't delete posts and I doubt any forum moderator would delete the post on purpose, probably just a weird bug or something :)

when installing the most common rescale packs, the stars in GN should rescale accordingly

I have not fully tested that feature, so it may not work 100%

that's why rescale mods are not described as compatible yet

That sounds fantastic, but I'm not sure everyone likes the fact that distance to stars equaly scales, it will significantly increase fuel cost and travel times. I for instance would like the 2x scale only scale the solar systems and not the distance to the stars. I would be nice if you could make this configurable somehow.

which GN version are you using? and which planet packs?

regarding the Kopernicus overwriting, I would advise you to install the latest version of kopernicus from their thread and ignore the one re-distributed inside other planet packs. Of course doing this could cause problems if the specific planet pack is not compatible with the latest version of Kopernicus.

If that is the case, you'll need to wait for the planet pack to be brought up-to speed with Kopernicus.

In any case, as soon as I get your list of packs I'll try them and check if they are working properly :)

Alright, thanks for the quick reply. her'S what I found: I updated to the latest version of gn, and some of the packs work. It's just a pain saving the gamedata folder everytime before adding a new mod. so far I've noticed these packs causing problems:

-Kronkus: Breaks the Base. I spawn in deep space with nothing in sight.

-Outer planets mod: produced this error: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q8h8eg08sk2o3vg/AABjz5wdlyhZT8ziYswKlAala?dl=0

-Real solar Skytem: Basically disables galactic neighborhood. no other system is visible.

-I don't really know the name of the mod, the zip file was geniously named "Game Data". it produces the same effect as real solar system edit: I believe it's called PF Systems.

-Setnar Expansion: Crashes the game with a lovely "Doesn't work anymore" window. no crash report.

-Planet Warehouse: Freezes the game at the end of loading

Alright, those would be all. the rest works perfectly fine.

that's all I found for now. Its getting annoying to switch out everytime.

Edited by Derwan

That sounds fantastic, but I'm not sure everyone likes the fact that distance to stars equaly scales, it will significantly increase fuel cost and travel times. I for instance would like the 2x scale only scale the solar systems and not the distance to the stars. I would be nice if you could make this configurable somehow.

it is in fact configurable, you just need to go into GameData/GalacticNeighborhood/Core/RescaleGN.cfg and edit %GNScaleDistance = 2 to %GNScaleDistance = 1

It can also be done via modulemanager patch, you just need to make sure it is applied at the right time.

Alright, thanks for the quick reply. her'S what I found: I updated to the latest version of gn, and some of the packs work. It's just a pain saving the gamedata folder everytime before adding a new mod. so far I've noticed these packs causing problems:

-Outer planets mod: produced this error: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q8h8eg08sk2o3vg/AABjz5wdlyhZT8ziYswKlAala?dl=0

-Real solar Skytem: Basically disables galactic neighborhood. no other system is visible.

I will check them out as soon as I get some time, thanks for reporting!

Edited by Sigma88

Anyone else get the entire list of planet packs to work simultaneous, including texture ATM and TextureReplacer and at least 1 mod with an overpowered engine to travel the distance?

I havent been able to get it to reach the under-3.8gb ram load :(

I think this may have something to do with Kopernicus versioning. Kronkus has a version of Kopernicus inside of it, and fully or partially overriding a new version of Kopernicus may cause this. It is happening to me too, for instance, and it isn't Kronkus causing it, it appears to be one of the other I installed...

EDIT: Wait, no, it IS Kronkus. After installing each individually, Kronkus is the one that caused the space center to instead bring you into deep space (near Mun, you can see it orbit every few hundred days).

Also, I am getting "2 errors found in galacticneighborhood/core/StockFix.cfg" after installing Kronkus, despite no errors with everything BUT Kronkus installed.

It is in fact the culprit, and I hoped the information was helpful in some way.

Edited by YagiHige

-I don't really know the name of the mod, the zip file was geniously named "Game Data". it produces the same effect as real solar system edit: I believe it's called PF Systems.

-Setnar Expansion: Crashes the game with a lovely "Doesn't work anymore" window. no crash report.

-Planet Warehouse: Freezes the game at the end of loading

Alright, those would be all. the rest works perfectly fine.

So, I had some time to test and:

- RSS different bugs found and fixed, coming in the next release

after fixing RSS I try to load all planet packs combined and everything worked.

Edited by Sigma88

Unless someone else also named their mod folder PFSystems, that's the Boris pack, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70018-1-0-x-Kopernicus-The-Boris-System-%28new-planets%29-Updated-7-19-2015-creating-planets-on-Twitch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.