Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

ok, you have an installation issue. game didn't load the mods correctly so reverted back to stock system

you should check that you have installed every mod correctly.

(try starting with a clean install and adding some mods at a time)

also, have you moved outside the ProgramFiles folder?

Not exactly sure what you mean or how to do that for the Program Files.

Not exactly sure what you mean or how to do that for the Program Files.

move (or even better, copy) this whole folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\

to a new directory, like:

C:\Games\Kerbal Space Program\

this means you cannot start the game using steam anymore (if you are doing that)

Quickly asking, why every half orbit Kerbol sort of passes through K-Pol? Is it intended?

The Orbital period of the stars in the galaxy is so long that the stars will never move from their position in a game.

I would hide the orbit lines if someone *cough*Thomas*cough* implemented that option into kopernicus :D

I think all orbits intersects somewhere (not sure tho)

Anyway, nothing to worry about :)

Edited by Sigma88

The Orbital period of the stars in the galaxy is so long that the stars will never move from their position in a game.

I would hide the orbit lines if someone *cough*Thomas*cough* implemented that option into kopernicus :D

I think all orbits intersects somewhere (not sure tho)

Anyway, nothing to worry about :)

Yeah... My transfer took a while... Ahem... BetterTimeWarp.

And BTW, just make the orbit lines invisible by putting (a red one for example) 1,0,0,0 in the colour part of the Orbit section of the cfg. However that would also make the star selector invisible, which means you get RasterPropMoniter to choose the target or whatnot.

The only two orbit intersects occur with Kerbol and KPol, and Algok and Cercani I think.

Yeah... My transfer took a while... Ahem... BetterTimeWarp.

And BTW, just make the orbit lines invisible by putting (a red one for example) 1,0,0,0 in the colour part of the Orbit section of the cfg. However that would also make the star selector invisible, which means you get RasterPropMoniter to choose the target or whatnot.

The only two orbit intersects occur with Kerbol and KPol, and Algok and Cercani I think.

Last time I tried even setting 0 as the last number didn't make orbits invisible.

and I don't think even BTW can make you see the star move relative to each other

and I don't think even BTW can make you see the star move relative to each other

With Better time warp setting the warp values EXTREMELY high you can see the stars move up and down and towards and further away in the case of KPol, but it is half hour wait with the warping limitations that KSP holds. I have to say, seeing a massive star swallow up Kerbin was AWESOME!!! This is when we need the Dark Days mod, and some climate change mod.

Oh, and with my computer, I just couldn't warp while selecting K-Stor. I almost crashed three times trying to do this. So I also edited the save file to make the stars collide, and, with the looks of this, you can warp to collision with 1e+10 warp in a matter of hours.

And, what's the point of copying the Kerbol planets to other stars for the mods? It just seems very unrealistic having the same planets every star.

And, what's the point of copying the Kerbol planets to other stars for the mods? It just seems very unrealistic having the same planets every star.

I don't do that for all the mods, just for OPM since the whole idea of the mod is based upon the fact that there are "inner planets" and "outer planets" and I wanted to preserve that.

And even for OPM, I added just a few planet, not every body. (Moho, Eve, Kerbin, Duna and Jool... no moons and no dres)

I don't do that for all the mods, just for OPM since the whole idea of the mod is based upon the fact that there are "inner planets" and "outer planets" and I wanted to preserve that.

And even for OPM, I added just a few planet, not every body. (Moho, Eve, Kerbin, Duna and Jool... no moons and no dres)

Oh didn't notice that thanks.

Galactic Neighborhood Alpha v0.0.8

Download

[TABLE=width: 100]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]5IdGJ3n.png

@GitHub

devBuild-%40GitHub-lightgrey.svg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

report issues here

Changelog

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]

[B]v0.0.8
[/B]
- Added compatibility with Jungis Planet Pack
- Added compatibility with Keridani star system
- Added compatibility with Kerbol Plus
- Added compatibility with Kerbol Plus Remade
- Added compatibility with Rhat's Planet Pack
- Added compatibility with RSS Planets & Moons expanded
- Added compatibility with Sigma: PluronKhato

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Sigma88

I was wondering...If I install every single compatible planet pack, then Kerbal Binary and KerbalGalaxy and AstroFox's stars/planets pack (basically almost every star-adding mod), then edit the stars locations...

Would I have a proper night sky?

I think we could get to around 50 star systems if I installed every single mod...and more than an hundred planets!

Edited by Elowiny

I was wondering...If I install every single compatible planet pack, then Kerbal Binary and KerbalGalaxy and AstroFox's stars/planets pack (basically almost every star-adding mod), then edit the stars locations...

Would I have a proper night sky?

I think we could get to around 50 star systems if I installed every single mod...and more than an hundred planets!

Sadly, no. KSP does not allow you to see stars or planets that are too far away. Try making cfgs for DOE, so you can see them.

Sadly, no. KSP does not allow you to see stars or planets that are too far away. Try making cfgs for DOE, so you can see them.

DoE doesn't work with GN.

The problem is that it considers only the galactic core to be a light source, so you won't see most of the stars.

I've contacted MOARdV to see if it was possible to change that, but I haven't heard back from him, so I guess it's not something he is interested in pursuing

Looking great so far :) One question - is the thing that the star "lens flare" shows only one at a time, depending on which star is the closest one to the camera? Like

Javascript is disabled. View full album

?

By the way, all the M_kels seem to be at the same spot. Now that's a bit weird.

Edited by M4ck

Looking great so far :) One question - is the thing that the star "lens flare" shows only one at a time, depending on which star is the closest one to the camera? Like

http://imgur.com/a/MH83h

?

Again, a KSP limitation. I don't know if there is a possible way to fix this.

The Mkels I have no clue what your talking about. I can clearly see the bodies zoomed in, it is just the flare that is centred on one.

http://imgur.com/a/MH83h

?

Again, a KSP limitation. I don't know if there is a possible way to fix this.

The Mkels I have no clue what your talking about. I can clearly see the bodies zoomed in, it is just the flare that is centred on one.

I'm not sure if the flare issue is more a KSP limitation or Kopernicus limitation. Either way, nothing that I can do to fix it :)

M-kel stars are fine as RA3236 said, except I noticed now that it's not possible to focus on the barycenter.

I'll fix that in the next release ;)

Hey, no problem for me :) I was just curious about that. Now that I think about it I might have just rotated the view around M-kel stars and see flares overlapping, without zooming in closely... If that's it, my bad.

On a side-note, C2-1 on Vassa is orbiting inside it's parent body... Particularly funny as its description mentions how closely its composition resembles that of its parent planet :D but that looks like just a missing zero in semi-major axis config.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Hey, no problem for me :) I was just curious about that. Now that I think about it I might have just rotated the view around M-kel stars and see flares overlapping, without zooming in closely... If that's it, my bad.

On a side-note, C2-1 on Vassa is orbiting inside it's parent body... Particularly funny as its description mentions how closely its composition resembles that of its parent planet :D but that looks like just a missing zero in semi-major axis config.

http://imgur.com/a/OyqIS

which pack is it from? I don't usually change SMAs of moons, so it *shouldn't* be my fault :)

which pack is it from? I don't usually change SMAs of moons, so it *shouldn't* be my fault :)

Vassa and C2-1 are from the Other_Worlds pack, but I only see that you moved the star into another orbit. So the moon shouldn't orbit inside the planet

Vassa and C2-1 are from the Other_Worlds pack, but I only see that you moved the star into another orbit. So the moon shouldn't orbit inside the planet

Umm... that issue is part of the core Other_Worlds mod, and is a current known issue on that thread. I'm sure someone will come around to fix it.

So...not sure if this is the best place to ask, but anyway.

I love the idea/execution of this mod, but I was wondering if there is is an easy way to allow one of the planet packs to modify the original Kerbal system while leaving the rest at their new stars. The original kerbal system seems quite small, so I would like to have the Outer Planets Mod bodies where they were before adding Galactic Neighborhood. A tutorial or whatever would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance!

So...not sure if this is the best place to ask, but anyway.

I love the idea/execution of this mod, but I was wondering if there is is an easy way to allow one of the planet packs to modify the original Kerbal system while leaving the rest at their new stars. The original kerbal system seems quite small, so I would like to have the Outer Planets Mod bodies where they were before adding Galactic Neighborhood. A tutorial or whatever would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance!

Quite simply:

Remove the OPM cfgs in the Galactic Neighbourhood Folder

Put @Kopernicus:AFTER[GalacticNeighborhood] at the top of ALL of the OPM cfgs in GameData/OPM

Change Sarnus, Urlum, Neidon and Plocks cfg so that referenceBody = StockSun

It seems G.N. messes something up in 1.0.5... I have tried with Asclepius planet.

Fresh 1.0.5 + Asclepius + new save = fine

Fresh 1.0.5 + Asclepius + GN + new save = the game sh*ts itself before loading KSC view, to a black screen but with loading icon and (whichever) Kerman introductory message shown and Timewarp x1 visible :(

End of log:

[LOG 15:40:55.699] PhysicsGlobals: Loading database
[ERR 15:40:55.713] [SurfaceObject]: Cannot return to original parent, it no longer exists.

[LOG 15:40:55.714] [Kopernicus]: Fixed SpaceCenterCamera
[LOG 15:40:56.310] [Kopernicus]: StarLightSwitcher: Set active star => Sun
[LOG 15:40:56.483] ContractSystem: Found 14 contract types

If left running for a while(one or two minutes), it shows two more lines like this last one regarding contracts, but that's it. HDD stops, CPU at 100% of one core, normal on others.

Does it look helpful? Is it just my PC being SO SLOW that what was previously taking a couple seconds, now would take like 15 minutes after update to 1.0.5? Doesn't seem likely to me. Should I just leave it running and crunching data and just go make myself a snack or something?

Edit:

The exact same Asclepius/G.N./Modulemanager folders and files copied from 1.0.5 Gamedata to 1.0.4 Gamedata result in the usual fine Galactic Core system etc... So it's definitely something regarding 1.0.4/1.0.5 differences, IMO.

Edited by M4ck

It seems G.N. messes something up in 1.0.5... I have tried with Asclepius planet.

Fresh 1.0.5 + Asclepius + new save = fine

Fresh 1.0.5 + Asclepius + GN + new save = the game sh*ts itself before loading KSC view, to a black screen but with loading icon and (whichever) Kerman introductory message shown and Timewarp x1 visible :(

End of log:

[LOG 15:40:55.699] PhysicsGlobals: Loading database
[ERR 15:40:55.713] [SurfaceObject]: Cannot return to original parent, it no longer exists.

[LOG 15:40:55.714] [Kopernicus]: Fixed SpaceCenterCamera
[LOG 15:40:56.310] [Kopernicus]: StarLightSwitcher: Set active star => Sun
[LOG 15:40:56.483] ContractSystem: Found 14 contract types

If left running for a while(one or two minutes), it shows two more lines like this last one regarding contracts, but that's it. HDD stops, CPU at 100% of one core, normal on others.

Does it look helpful? Is it just my PC being SO SLOW that what was previously taking a couple seconds, now would take like 15 minutes after update to 1.0.5? Doesn't seem likely to me. Should I just leave it running and crunching data and just go make myself a snack or something?

Edit:

The exact same Asclepius/G.N./Modulemanager folders and files copied from 1.0.5 Gamedata to 1.0.4 Gamedata result in the usual fine Galactic Core system etc... So it's definitely something regarding 1.0.4/1.0.5 differences, IMO.

It isn't GN causing these errors, it is Kopernicus because it is NOT updated for 1.0.5.

I don't get it why people use mods that aren't updated yet to the next version

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.