Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

15 minutes ago, alacrity said:

Sigma,

I play with Remote Tech on most of my builds, but the distances involved in Galaxies makes that a little laffable.

Have you given thought to adding something like the Ansible in Enders game, or a Quatum Pair duality relay allowing for instant comm jumps between stars. Transmitters not relying on standard speed of light waves at least for the bigger jumps of interstellar communications.

Alacrity

Not only comunications, but all kind of stuff need to be upgraded to have a full gameplay in a system like GN

I don't plan to make all those things, but I would expect that, once GN starts getting noticed, modders will start work on projects that can be used at such big scales.

7 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

@Sigma88 If I wanted WIP support for LSS (my planet pack) should I temporarily use my own cfgs or should you include them in GN?

I have never tried that mod, where do I find it?

Edited by Sigma88

Just now, Sigma88 said:

Not only comunications, but all kind of stuff need to be upgraded to have a full gameplay in a system like GN

I don't plan to make all those things, but I would expect that, once GN starts getting noticed, modders will start work on projects that can be used at such big scales.

I have never tried that mod, where do I find it?

For Remote Tech players the relays are a must, and I use KSPI for travel. I suppose you are right tho... someone will come up with warp gates or some such or transmats. I am just thinking near term and been using your antenna add ons for a while (color is good).

Although a KIS/KAS constructed warp gate would be interesting.

Alacrity

3 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

In my sig. It currently adds a WIP protostar and a WIP planet :), so don't expect much stuff from it...

yeah I can take a look at it after 1.1 hits ;)

if it's stable enough I can add it to the list of supported star systems ;)

13 hours ago, alacrity said:

Sigma,

I play with Remote Tech on most of my builds, but the distances involved in Galaxies makes that a little laffable.

Have you given thought to adding something like the Ansible in Enders game, or a Quatum Pair duality relay allowing for instant comm jumps between stars. Transmitters not relying on standard speed of light waves at least for the bigger jumps of interstellar communications.

Alacrity

You could probably use Sigma's OuterSpaceComms if you want to send interstellar probes.

17 minutes ago, cy4n said:

You could probably use Sigma's OuterSpaceComms if you want to send interstellar probes.

I don't think those will be enough to get to other stars, maybe if you set up a relay system... but it would require a hell of an effort :)

Well the idea of Quantum entangled communication relay is the idea the two entangled quanta will mimic each other instantly without regard to distance that separate them. First mission would be launching Quanta A relay in Kerbol orbit and then Quanta B would be sent to orbit other star. Any message sent to A wold be mimicked to B instantly, the only delay would be from the standard comm sats in Kerbol system.

The Ansible is a SciFi invention not really explained in the Ender's Game series. Same idea. Instant communication over unlimited distance. It was built in ships but no limitations were mentioned in the books.

For the sake of balance I envision a comms antenna that has to be out of a planetary SOI so would have to orbit in a gap in a systems planetary layout, would have to receive signals as standard radio waves and translate them on board and given to the Quanta. They could only be run as paired, so quanta a/b could only talk to each other. Each system would need it's own pairing.

The unfortunate truth is that I have NO skills in programming, modding, or modeling or I would start on it tomorrow.

Alacrity

16 hours ago, OndrikB said:

Do the Sigma OPM Mods (recolor, tilt etc) work with GN?

I have never tested them so I cannot be sure 100%

but I can't think of any reason why they should not work, if you try it and find that it doesn't work very well, please let me know so that I can fix the issues they may cause :)

Edited by Sigma88

3 hours ago, OndrikB said:

Also, do you have any warp-drive recommendations? The Stand-Alone one by RoverDude takes too long.

I cannot "recommend" one in particular because I haven't tried any, but I know @FreeThinker was testing his mod on GN so maybe that one could be a good choice, but I have no idea on the state of long distance engines right now :)

On 23-3-2016 at 8:31 PM, Athur Dent said:
1 minute ago, Sigma88 said:

I cannot "recommend" one in particular because I haven't tried any, but I know @FreeThinker was testing his mod on GN so maybe that one could be a good choice, but I have no idea on the state of long distance engines right now :)

is there anything like scripting in ksp? because maybe it would be possible to just calculate the solar power flow and add it to the ship as a workaround ....

KSPI-E FTL is made for long distance travel, it allows you go to travel at 1000 times the speed of light which can be combined time acceleration allowing you to travel to you destination in  a matter of seconds. You aint going to repeat that with USI warp drive that requires Qenon gas for every second, cannot time accelerate durring travel  you travel at speed only slightly faster than speed of light. Effectively this would man you would have to run the game for a year and bring more xenon gas with then exists.

4 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

Oh, does GN need something that MM 2.6.20 has now? That version is KSP 1.1 version IIRC.

yes, GN requires MM 2.6.20 (like most of my other mods)

but that works fine in 1.0.5 :)

MM 2.6.21 is the one for KSP 1.1

Okay this is very weird:

sg7otHH.png

It seems this whole system has been messed up. It is the only one with a planetary system. The only planet pack (more of an enhancement, really) is @KillAshley's KASE, but that shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: I looked through both the KASE and GN files, and it appears that in order for GN to load this system it requires the identifier 'KAUL' (KillAshley Uncharted Lands). This is exactly what KASE provides, in the case of this file only:

@Kopernicus:FOR[KAUL]
{
	@Body[Sun]
	{
		@ScaledVersion
		{
			Light
			{
				sunlightShadowStrength = 1.0
			}
		}
	}
}

As you can see, the cfg clearly identifies KAUL. I'm going to suggest to @KillAshley to change this, but I would suggest you put up a notice.

Edited by RA3236

1 hour ago, RA3236 said:

Okay this is very weird:

sg7otHH.png

It seems this whole system has been messed up. It is the only one with a planetary system. The only planet pack (more of an enhancement, really) is @KillAshley's KASE, but that shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: I looked through both the KASE and GN files, and it appears that in order for GN to load this system it requires the identifier 'KAUL' (KillAshley Uncharted Lands). This is exactly what KASE provides, in the case of this file only:

@Kopernicus:FOR[KAUL]
{
	@Body[Sun]
	{
		@ScaledVersion
		{
			Light
			{
				sunlightShadowStrength = 1.0
			}
		}
	}
}

As you can see, the cfg clearly identifies KAUL. I'm going to suggest to @KillAshley to change this, but I would suggest you put up a notice.

Well, KASE is not on the list of compatible planet packs :)

That's why it doesn't work

Edit:

Oh I see what you mean, I'll tell KA to change that tag :)

Edited by Sigma88

Just now, Sigma88 said:

Well, KASE is not on the list of compatible planet packs :)

That's why it doesn't work

I fixed it with a cfg edit, its explained on the KASE thread.

Honestly, I didn't think it wouldn't be compatible with GN. It only revamps the planets.

8 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

Honestly, I didn't think it wouldn't be compatible with GN. It only revamps the planets.

Yeah I took  while to get what you meant :) I edited the post after I did

11 hours ago, RA3236 said:

lol my bad, used discarded UL cfgs when making KASE, and guess i never changed it over. I'll update it when i can :blush:

This is a dumb question, but I'm asking it anyway!  A number of the supported planet packs only bring in a single planet, would it be possible to have GN combine more of them around one star, the way you did with Asclepius and Kronkus?  I know those two were made by the same modder, so I don't know how much work it would take to have, say, Arkas, Saru, and Urania all together, but it would be cool to have more "busy" solar systems to explore.

7 minutes ago, Lord Coriolis said:

This is a dumb question, but I'm asking it anyway!  A number of the supported planet packs only bring in a single planet, would it be possible to have GN combine more of them around one star, the way you did with Asclepius and Kronkus?  I know those two were made by the same modder, so I don't know how much work it would take to have, say, Arkas, Saru, and Urania all together, but it would be cool to have more "busy" solar systems to explore.

I'm following a set of self-imposed rules when building GN, and one of those is that every mod should have it's own system.

it would pretty easy to do what you ask, just make a cfg like this:

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	@Body,*
	{
		@Orbit:HAS[#referenceBody[XXX]]
		{
			referenceBody = AAA
		}
		@Orbit:HAS[#referenceBody[YYY]]
		{
			referenceBody = AAA
		}
		@Orbit:HAS[#referenceBody[ZZZ]]
		{
			referenceBody = AAA
		}
	}
}

this will move all the systems that are in orbit around the stars XXX, YYY, ZZZ to orbit the star AAA

if you need a more specific help with that feel free to pm me ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.