Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

14 hours ago, jpinard said:

Sigma - does this work ok with the latest Kopernicus and 1.1.2 of KSP?

Thanks again for all your wonderful work.

It should, if I'm right. If not, then don't ask. Rule 2.3f, remember?

Or was that 2.2f.... Never mind.

On 1/5/2016 at 8:17 AM, megatiger78 said:

is it still compatible with otherworlds?

I guess it depends on which KSP version you are playing, if otherworlds loads fine without GN it should load fine in GN as well

14 hours ago, jpinard said:

Sigma - does this work ok with the latest Kopernicus and 1.1.2 of KSP?

Thanks again for all your wonderful work.

officially it has not been updated yet, but I don't think you should have issues.

if you have, report the problems here so I can fix them :)

in any case, always back up your saves

7 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

if you have, report the problems here so I can fix them :)

I'm afraid solar panel electricity generation is broken when using KSP 1.1.2 - displays the charge value "-infinity".

Not sure if the following observation is helpful for spotting the problem: even on a dark side of the planet says "in full sunlight".

9 hours ago, Azaqui said:

I'm afraid solar panel electricity generation is broken when using KSP 1.1.2 - displays the charge value "-infinity".

Not sure if the following observation is helpful for spotting the problem: even on a dark side of the planet says "in full sunlight".

yes, this is a known kopernicus issue. I had to remove power generation from solar panels in GN due to this bug.

It's odd that you find the charge "-infinity". I will have to take a look on that. should be 0

53 minutes ago, Athur Dent said:

Hey Sigma, 

is there an easy way to move KSC so that I can start from earth from RSS? 

I detected the setting "IsHomeworld" in the configs, but will that do the trick?

It's a bit trickier than that, I'll pm you a cfg

13 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

yes, this is a known kopernicus issue.

For what it's worth I have kopernicus installed and the solar power generation appears to work correctly as long as Galactic Neighborhood is disabled.

On 4/25/2016 at 11:33 PM, Sigma88 said:

kopernicus already allows for Ec generation from different stars, but there is a bug that occurs when reparenting kerbin, the calculation of the power output of the star goes wrong at some point and ships explode from overheating.

for this reason in GN I have to disable the power output of the stars, and as a consequence, added the RTG module to solar panels to at least make them usable.. It's still not a solution I'm happy with, but my free time is limited :D

I was laying awake at night, thinking about this mod and the problem with overheating, so I decided to dig through the Kopernicus code and this plugin's code:

Spoiler

// Prefab that makes every star yellow by default
            public static LightShifter prefab
            {
                get
                {
                    // If the prefab is null, create it
                    GameObject prefabGOB = new GameObject("LightShifter");
                    LightShifter prefab = prefabGOB.AddComponent<LightShifter>();

// Fill it with default values
                    prefab.sunlightColor = Color.white;
                    prefab.sunlightIntensity = 0.9f;
                    prefab.sunlightShadowStrength = 0.7523364f;
                    prefab.scaledSunlightColor = Color.white;
                    prefab.scaledSunlightIntensity = 0.9f;
                    prefab.IVASunColor = new Color(1.0f, 0.977f, 0.896f, 1.0f);
                    prefab.IVASunIntensity = 0.8099999f;
                    prefab.sunLensFlareColor = Color.white;
                    prefab.ambientLightColor = new Color(0.06f, 0.06f, 0.06f, 1.0f);
                    prefab.AU = 13599840256;
                    prefab.brightnessCurve = new FloatCurve(new Keyframe[]
                    {
                        new Keyframe(-0.01573471f, 0.217353f, 1.706627f, 1.706627f),
                        new Keyframe(5.084181f, 3.997075f, -0.001802375f, -0.001802375f),
                        new Keyframe(38.56295f, 1.82142f, 0.0001713f, 0.0001713f)
                    });
                    prefab.givesOffLight = true;
                    prefab.solarInsolation = PhysicsGlobals.SolarInsolationAtHome;
                    prefab.solarLuminosity = PhysicsGlobals.SolarLuminosityAtHome;

// Return the prefab
                    return prefab;
                }
            }

This is a clip from LightShifter.cs - this part in particular deals with the default properties of stars. Look near the bottom at prefab.solarLuminosity - my guess at what that means is PhysicsGlobals is a set of functions that deals with the actual physics of the universe and SolarLuminosityAtHome, being a function in the library PhysicsGlobals, is a function that takes the luminosity level that Kerbin is supposed to be at and then says what the star's luminosity level needs to be in order for Kerbin to be normal (most likely to make RSS easier). So, if you move Kerbol several lightyears away and rename it Black Hole, its default luminosity will be recalculated so it can still shine on Kerbin - incidentally, this means all the function's flaws are exacerbated and ends up burning up all ships. To confirm this, I see what you did to the original Kerbol, in the file GalacticCore.cfg and you turn off its visual lights, but you don't touch it's luminosity, so it's still calculating its luminosity based on its distance to Kerbin, and heating the galaxy appropriately so Kerbal kind can enjoy their lunches in the warmth.

I bet you if you remove your hackish fixes, that is instead of turning off all luminosity, and redo the Core's luminosity - hell why not all the important sun properties of the Core for safe keeping - I bet you the problem will disappear.

Then again, I'm severely sleep deprived and be making a complete fool of myself. Either way, good night and good luck.

EDIT: Looking at all the other stars in your mod, I really don't know if the 'StarLuminosity' is a ratio based off of that contrived luminosity number that Kopernicus gives or the default KSP luminosity number. Hopefully the latter or else you'll have to do some math to reverse the large number Kopernicus will give.

Edited by Budz42

Hi @Budz42

I apreciate your interest :)

The "StarLuminosity" you see in my cfgs is not a kopernicus feature.

It was used many versions ago to calculate the power curve of stars when ksp still didn't have the luminosity at home thingy

Now it's completely useless, I keep it there just in case I need the info in future

Regarding the kopernicus issue

It seems like kopernicus uses the distance of kerbin from the galactic core to calculate the powercurve but then uses the distance from the closest star to calculate the ec/s generation

Edited by Sigma88

On 5/6/2016 at 6:18 PM, Sigma88 said:

I'll take a look as soon as the mod is stable enough

On 5/5/2016 at 5:05 PM, j1r2000 said:

is there a way you can make IA revived compatible? when it updates

holy the feedback speeds

ok... so if I understand this correctly...

I install this mod, Koperenicus,  sigma binary, and Module manager.  Then I can just add in any of the mentioned planet packs and this mod will do all the configuration to get the new planet packs in their correct places?

I see a lot of chatter about solar panels not working and ships over heating etc.   What exactly is the issue with these?  is it solved or do I just have to deal with some work around etc.

Right now you gotta work with the workaround that Sigma implemented. I've been doing quite a bit of testing on the subject and his implementation, though crude, works.

@Sigma88 For the overheating bug, I've tried a host of different approaches short of making the galactic core a barycenter which I might do next time I'm looking at this mod, but that's not why I write. ShotgunNinja, the creator of Kerbalism, has a bit more of an elegant solution for solar panels than making them a flat RTG.

ok so then the next question is if I install this mod and the planet packs....  I can install every planet pack at the same time?  or is there some limit on them?  as in these 2 do not work together, or maybe I can only have 4 packs installed or something.

This is just a very big change to the core workings of KSP, so I am trying to figure out how it is going to impact my game before I dump it in my save.

Oh and another thing...  I will have to go back and read up on this but does this work with remote tech?  or will this break my RT game?

Edited by Bit Fiddler

All the packs that are compatible (on the OP) can all go in the game at once and not break anything - though it is recommended to use the 64 bit version since it doesn't have an upper limit to ram usage. And as for existing saves, I don't know if all your probes and ships will translate to the new location Kerbin is in, but if you start a new game, Remote Tech should work just fine. 

If you're looking for new solar systems to play with in your existing save, you could install both Other_Worlds and Extrasolar without Galactic Neighborhood, and they'll just be orbiting Kerbol on the closer side of a lightyear away.

How Galactic Neighborhood works is by turning Kerbol into a black hole as the Galactic Core, and assigns Kerbin to a new Kerbol that orbits the core alongside several other stars. Then each new planet pack is assigned a new star at some random orbit. Since Kerbol is at the universe's center in stock KSP, Kerbin is at a new location lightyears away with the new Kerbol, hence why existing ships probably won't translate to the new location.

Edited by Budz42

bug report: it seems like after installing real solar system, my KSC is in perpetual darkness (not just night, real darkness where you cant see nothing exept for the lights of the runway)

can provide screenshots and logs if needed

15 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

so there is no configuring or bit fiddling that needs to be done?  just plop all this down in gamedata and your mod will get everything in the right position?

I believe that's correct. Your vessels will still have a reference to the same planet or moon, and same orbital parameters, so everything should be fine.

3 hours ago, Budz42 said:

Since Kerbol is at the universe's center in stock KSP, Kerbin is at a new location lightyears away with the new Kerbol, hence why existing ships probably won't translate to the new location.

I don't think this is true. Vessels are stored with a reference to the celestial body they're orbiting, plus orbital parameters. If they're orbiting Kerbol, they'll still orbit it if Kerbol gets reparented itself. However, I hereby I assume that reparenting of Kerbol works such that the identifier to Kerbol doesn't change.

Nevertheless, most of your vessels orbit some planet or moon in the Kerbol system, and as these aren't necessarily reparented, nothing will change for them.

Edited by DaMaster_Architect

well I am just going to dump it all in and see what happens.. I have downloaded all the listed planet packs and have just been waiting to dump them in till I am sure all my craft are either landed or stable orbit.   then I will jump with both feet.  worst case I just restore an older backup I guess.

wow, these are a lot of questions :)

let's see if I can answer all of them:

7 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

ok... so if I understand this correctly...

I install this mod, Koperenicus,  sigma binary, and Module manager.  Then I can just add in any of the mentioned planet packs and this mod will do all the configuration to get the new planet packs in their correct places?

I see a lot of chatter about solar panels not working and ships over heating etc.   What exactly is the issue with these?  is it solved or do I just have to deal with some work around etc.

7 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

ok so then the next question is if I install this mod and the planet packs....  I can install every planet pack at the same time?  or is there some limit on them?  as in these 2 do not work together, or maybe I can only have 4 packs installed or something.

This is just a very big change to the core workings of KSP, so I am trying to figure out how it is going to impact my game before I dump it in my save.

Oh and another thing...  I will have to go back and read up on this but does this work with remote tech?  or will this break my RT game?

32 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

so there is no configuring or bit fiddling that needs to be done?  just plop all this down in gamedata and your mod will get everything in the right position?

14 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

well I am just going to dump it all in and see what happens.. I have downloaded all the listed planet packs and have just been waiting to dump them in till I am sure all my craft are either landed or stable orbit.   then I will jump with both feet.  worst case I just restore an older backup I guess.

First of all, always back up your saves when adding GN to an ongoing save. GN moves planets around and that has the potential of breaking everything.

the installation is pretty simple, Kopernicus and ModuleManager are required while SigmaBinary is optional

you just need to install the mods by putting the stuff inside GameData like you would always do, and then if you want to add planet packs you install them as well. No further fiddling is necessary.

You should be able to install all the planet packs at the same time, except for SASS and RSS which are mutually exclusive

The overheating bug has been "solved" by removing solar panel generation. you don't need to do anything since GN comes with the cfgs to do that. Solar panels now work as RTGs so you can still use them, but it's still not a solution I like.

remote tech should work fine with GN, except for the fact that if you load a saved game you might find your ships have been loaded in orbits different from where they were before adding GN

7 hours ago, Budz42 said:

@Sigma88 For the overheating bug, I've tried a host of different approaches short of making the galactic core a barycenter which I might do next time I'm looking at this mod, but that's not why I write. ShotgunNinja, the creator of Kerbalism, has a bit more of an elegant solution for solar panels than making them a flat RTG.

I'll take a look :)

35 minutes ago, Athur Dent said:

bug report: it seems like after installing real solar system, my KSC is in perpetual darkness (not just night, real darkness where you cant see nothing exept for the lights of the runway)

can provide screenshots and logs if needed

This is a known Kopernicus bug, it only affects the KSC scene and has no real impact on gameplay (if you launch a ship the sky will look normal)

17 minutes ago, DaMaster_Architect said:

I believe that's correct. Your vessels will still have a reference to the same planet or moon, and same orbital parameters, so everything should be fine.

I don't think this is true. Vessels are stored with a reference to the celestial body they're orbiting, plus orbital parameters. If they're orbiting Kerbol, they'll still orbit it if Kerbol gets reparented itself. However, I hereby I assume that reparenting of Kerbol works such that the identifier to Kerbol doesn't change.

Nevertheless, most of your vessels orbit some planet or moon in the Kerbol system, and as these aren't necessarily reparented, nothing will change for them.

Kerbol is a lie (unless you install Kerbol Plus)

the name of the star is "Sun" :D

that said, KSP works on the assumption that the central body is the "Sun" and that the ID of that body is 0

so if you install GN the "Galactic Core" is actually just a cosmetic name change, as far as KSP is concerned that body is the sun

all crafts (Asteroids included) orbiting the Sun in a stock game will be loaded around the galactic core in GN (if you load an old savegame)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.