Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

1 hour ago, GGumby said:

Hey sigma, so are the stars treated like "suns" so say if i were to call the "string CelestialBody.RevealType()" would it return "sun"?

I think it will, but that's more a qestion for the kopernicus guys :wink:

hi again, sigma

i think i found a bug in GN when used together with real solar system:

the atmosphere of Mars and Earth doesnt affect your craft when entering it, meaning there is no aerobraking and no visible heat. solar panels break off regardless of this.

i think this issue also affects every other RSS body with an atmosphere

i can reproduce an suborbital flight on mars and save the log, if this helps

2 minutes ago, Athur Dent said:

hi again, sigma

i think i found a bug in GN when used together with real solar system:

the atmosphere of Mars and Earth doesnt affect your craft when entering it, meaning there is no aerobraking and no visible heat. solar panels break off regardless of this.

i think this issue also affects every other RSS body with an atmosphere

i can reproduce an suborbital flight on mars and save the log, if this helps

could you do a quick test for me?

go and delete the file: GameData/RealSolarSystem/PhysicsModifier.cfg

(make a backup because doing that will change how RSS behaves, I just want to check if that might be the problem)

1 hour ago, Athur Dent said:

did the check, i had normal atmospheric heating as i entered the atmosphere on Mars. So this file really seems to be the problem

Ok thanks, I'll fix it in the next release

I found yet another star system, that isn't mentioned in the first post:

It looks like it isn't up to date yet with 1.1.2 and the mod may be abandoned by the OP, but seems like Sigma88 did a compatibility fix for 1.0.5.
Since it's CC-BY-NC-SA licensed, there's a fat chance that someone will resurrect that star system.

just an idea, if you fix compability with real solar system in the next update...

i dont know how much work it is, but would you rescale the atmospheric heights too? an atmo-height of 150 km for a kerbin-scaled venus just fells a little weird :confused:

Edit: even with PhysicsModifier.cfg disabled, there is still zero atmosperic heating on Venus... there might be multiple problems

Edited by Athur Dent

1 hour ago, Athur Dent said:

just an idea, if you fix compability with real solar system in the next update...

i dont know how much work it is, but would you rescale the atmospheric heights too? an atmo-height of 150 km for a kerbin-scaled venus just fells a little weird :confused:

Edit: even with PhysicsModifier.cfg disabled, there is still zero atmosperic heating on Venus... there might be multiple problems

I'll try to take a look

1 hour ago, Kondensator said:

What the hell is that generator thing? :c

f3dd0817207bd02642ef11848112eb40.jpeg

49 minutes ago, cantab said:

A workaround for a Kopernicus bug. Solar panels weren't working correctly with multiple stars, so Galactic Neighborhood makes them work like RTGs.

40 minutes ago, Kondensator said:

That's sad because it is overpowered.

Like cantab said, there's not much I can do to make solar panels work, so I was forced to take this way.

I don't like it either, but I can't just leave the solar panels dead :)

if you want to remove the module, or balance it better, you can find the file in:

GameData/GalacticNeighborhood/Configs/Core/solarpanelsFix.cfg

I was so happy to see this on ckan for my 1.1.2 career play through but I seem to have done something wrong. Maybe I have something that is not compatible. Every time I launch a craft I get the World First Milestone: Enter orbit of the galactic core & 157,440 roots, 2 science & 4 reputation reward.

6 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

No idea what those milestones are :/

But they have nothing to do with GN.

Other than that, does the gameplay work fine?

Milestones are a stock feature. When you get a first accomplishment (1st orbit, 1st Mun flyby. 1st EVA etc.) in career mode you get a mission completion with rewards propotional to the difficulty of the accomplishment. The game doesn't seem to keep track of having been to orbit of the galactic core or recognize that putting a rover on the runway is not the same as escaping Kerbol's SOI. Other than the unending money supply it appears to work perfectly. Just waiting on the planet packs to get updated to 1.1.2 now.

1 hour ago, Nicholiathan said:

Milestones are a stock feature. When you get a first accomplishment (1st orbit, 1st Mun flyby. 1st EVA etc.) in career mode you get a mission completion with rewards propotional to the difficulty of the accomplishment. The game doesn't seem to keep track of having been to orbit of the galactic core or recognize that putting a rover on the runway is not the same as escaping Kerbol's SOI. Other than the unending money supply it appears to work perfectly. Just waiting on the planet packs to get updated to 1.1.2 now.

I'll take a look and see if there is something I can do about it :)

I broke and fixed my game. The following can possibly help, both development, and users seeking a solution.

This situation, involved HyperEdit, Galactic Neighborhood, and JoolTylo and PlutoCharon (but not JoolTyloOrbit or PlutoCharonOrbit).

The problem, involved the NavBall and OrbitalMap, which would FREAK OUT if you get within any gravitational influence of a body that has an unstable orbital point shared with another body (this can include other bodies with similar situations).

Troubleshooting my own problem (knowing nobody else would touch this issue because "multiple mods involved"), I discovered the solution myself.

The solution, to stop the freak-out, is to use HyperEdit button, the Planet Editor button, select JoolTylo or PlutoCharon from the list, change the numbers in the "gravitational multiplier" field, from 15x10e15 or whatever crazy thing it is, to 0.

Whatever controls the planets themselves, isn't affected by this, and this fixes the freak-out. I will post this to all mod threads that are affected. Thank you.

1 hour ago, YagiHige said:

I broke and fixed my game. The following can possibly help, both development, and users seeking a solution.

This situation, involved HyperEdit, Galactic Neighborhood, and JoolTylo and PlutoCharon (but not JoolTyloOrbit or PlutoCharonOrbit).

The problem, involved the NavBall and OrbitalMap, which would FREAK OUT if you get within any gravitational influence of a body that has an unstable orbital point shared with another body (this can include other bodies with similar situations).

Troubleshooting my own problem (knowing nobody else would touch this issue because "multiple mods involved"), I discovered the solution myself.

The solution, to stop the freak-out, is to use HyperEdit button, the Planet Editor button, select JoolTylo or PlutoCharon from the list, change the numbers in the "gravitational multiplier" field, from 15x10e15 or whatever crazy thing it is, to 0.

Whatever controls the planets themselves, isn't affected by this, and this fixes the freak-out. I will post this to all mod threads that are affected. Thank you.

I'm not sure how you got in orbit around the barycenters of jooltylo and plutocharon

It should not be possible to reach those bodies (you should shift directly from sun to planet)

Unless I am misunderstanding your issue...

Feel free to post any problems you are having, I will not refuse to look at an issue just because "multiple mods" but I might ask you to strip down your install to the bare minimum

(In this case, GN + SB + planet packs)

Edited by Sigma88

Is there any way to make solar panels work properly with other stars? I seem to recall a (much less sleek) multiple star systems mod a while back had made it work. Is there any way to replicate this? It's a shame to have RTG-like solar panels.

21 minutes ago, Sahadara said:

Is there any way to make solar panels work properly with other stars? I seem to recall a (much less sleek) multiple star systems mod a while back had made it work. Is there any way to replicate this? It's a shame to have RTG-like solar panels.

solar panels work fine around all stars if you remove the cfgs I used to block that feature.

it only has one little downside, every time the light switches from one star to another (even only in map mode) your ship will explode from overheating :)

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

solar panels work fine around all stars if you remove the cfgs I used to block that feature.

it only has one little downside, every time the light switches from one star to another (even only in map mode) your ship will explode from overheating :)

Is there any way to prevent that? What if the panels aren't extended when changing spheres of influence? I'd rather cope with that than panels that produce power even in the dark :/

2 minutes ago, Sahadara said:

Is there any way to prevent that? What if the panels aren't extended when changing spheres of influence? I'd rather cope with that than panels that produce power even in the dark :/

it has nothing to do with solar panels themselves. there's a parameter for stars that defines how much "energy" they give out, and that parameter is used to calculate heating and Ec/s generation.

when changing stars (even only in the map mode) that parameter freaks out because Kerbin has been reparented and so everything breaks

if there was another solution I would have implemented it :wink:

Edited by Sigma88

2 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

it has nothing to do with solar panels themselves. there's a parameter for stars that defines how much "energy" they give out, and that parameter is used to calculate heating and Ec/s generation.

when changing stars (even only in the map mode) that parameter freaks out because Kerbin has been reparented and so everything breaks

if there was another solution I would have implemented it :wink:

Reparent the Sun instead. Thomas P. and I tried that when we attempted to reboot StarSystems, and it worked just fine.

Edited by _Augustus_

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.