Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

What about mixing of KerbalGalaxy mod with this mod?

I think they are 2 distinct solution for the same problem, how to expand KSP universe. One problem I experienced KerbalGalaxy is that the Delta V for reaching planets on the opposite site of the galaxy becomes extremely high as long. This should be less of a problem with galaxtic neighbourhoud as the start are more or less going in the same direction, which means you need less Delta V and time to travel to them.

Edited by FreeThinker

This is a test for the new OP, don't look at it!

Galactic-Neighborhood.svg KSP-1.0.4-orange.svg dev.version-%40GitHub-lightgrey.svg total.svg

Galactic Neighborhood

Loading multiple planet packs in the same game.

Znx1jc3.png

Required Mods

Supported Mods

Supported Planet Packs

Planet Pack Star Name Real Life Counterpart Spectral Type
Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered Alternis Sun G2 V
Arkas Osmis Pi3 Orionis F6 V
Asclepius (shared with Kronkus) Tyfon δ Cir A O8 IV
Boris System Blotch Gliese 581 M3 V
Chani Planet Pack Lapiun α Leo A B7 V
Farlo Planetary Pack Lasna HD 98649 G4 V
Jungis Planet Pack Eol Altair A7 V
Kerbol Plus Remade Kerbol Sun G2 V
Kronkus (shared with Asclepius) Tyfon δ Cir A O8 IV
New Horizons Horizon Mu Columbae O9.5 V
Outer Planets Mod Helios Sun G2 V
PluronKhato Umbra, Lux (binary) Eta Ursae Majoris, Tau Ceti B3 V, G8.5 V
Real Solar System (a shrinked versions) Sol Sun G2 V
Rhats's Planet Pack Hyperdon Sirius B A2 D
RSSExpansion (a shrinked versions) Sol Sun G2 V
Saru Planet Pack Paribo Fomalhaut A3 V
Sentar Expansion Sloof Arcturus K0 III
Sido's Urania Planet Pack Sido Sun G2 V
Stock-alike Solar System (The small version) Sol Sun G2 V
Sylandro's Planet Warehouse Daneel Epsilon Eridani K2 V
Trans-Keptunian Plide Teide 1 M8
Uncharted Lands Snu Sun G2 V

Supported Star Systems

Downloads

Latest Release
5IdGJ3n.png
@GitHub

If you want to contribute to my caffeine addiction:
iSFDI5f.png r8916yD.png
Don't expect anything in return other than my sincere gratitude. :)
DICLAIMER: 0% of the amount received will be shared with KillAshely for his contributions to the mod. default_k_tongue.gif

Changelog

v0.0.8

- Added compatibility with Jungis Planet Pack
- Added compatibility with Keridani star system
- Added compatibility with Kerbol Plus
- Added compatibility with Kerbol Plus Remade
- Added compatibility with Rhat's Planet Pack
- Added compatibility with RSS Planets & Moons expanded
- Added compatibility with Sigma: PluronKhato

v0.0.7

- Added compatibility with Arkas
- Added compatibility with New Horizons
- Added compatibility with Sido's Urania System
- Removed StockFix.cfg since it wasn't used

v0.0.6

- Fixed compatibility with RSS
- Fixed a bug of particles effect on stars

v0.0.5

- Added compatibility with Kronkus Planet Pack
- Added compatibility with Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered
- Automatic generation of Particles effect for every star
- First attempt at rescale compatibility, use at own risk
- Force Kerbin to be the starting screen body
- Fixed small bug in powerCurve generation
- Fixed corona texture of the stock Sun

v0.0.4

- Now Requires Kopernicus 0.4.0
- Added compatibility with RSS
- Added compatibility with Sylandro's Planet Warehouse
- Added compatibility with finalizeOrbits
- Binary systems can now be removed from the GN stars (optional)
- Rearranged folder structure
- Preparing to add compatibility with rescale mods.
- Automatic generation of BrightnessCurves for all stars
- Automatic generation of powerCurve for all stars
- Increased barycenters' radius to 61 meters
- Fixed Cloud compatibility for OPM system

v0.0.3

- Now Requires Kopernicus 0.3.3
- Added compatibility with ChaniSystem
- Added compatibility with OtherWorlds
- Added compatibility with Sentar Expansion

v0.0.2

- Moved into GalacticNeighborhood folder
- Added KSP-AVC compatibility
- Now Requires Kopernicus 0.3.1
- Added particles to Algok B
- Added compatibility with Asclepius 
- Added compatibility with BorisSystem
- Added compatibility with OPM
- Added compatibility with TransKeptunian

v0.0.1

- First Public Alpha

Star Systems Overview

Galactic Core

This is the center of the Galaxy, all the stars orbit around this point in space. However, all the star systems will be added in the same region of space, making it pointless to venture out to the Galactic Core.

Real Life Analogue: None

Sun

This is the Stock KSP system, your game will start from here. No changes were made to the system, other than moving it to orbit the Galactic Core.

Real Life Analogue: Sol

Prok-Kseema

This is the closest star system to the Sun. It's a binary system of two stars. Prok, which is a Sun-like main-sequence yellow star, and Kseema a main-sequence orange star slightly smaller and less luminous than the Sun.

Real Life Analogue: Alpha Centauri

Kpol

This star is very close to Kerbin's south celestial pole, making it the south pole star. Kpol is a Yellow Supergiant 4.5 times more massive and 40 times larger than the Sun.

Real Life Analogue: α UMi Aa

K-stor

In this system six stars can be found orbiting in a complex configuration.
The stars are divided in three binary pairs: K-Stor A, K-Stor B and K-Stor C
K-Stor A and K-Stor B orbit each other while K-Stor C orbits them at a greater distance.

Real Life Analogue: Castor

Algok

This is not an ordinary binary system, the more massive component Algok A is still in the main sequence, while the less massive Algol B is a subgiant star at a later evolutionary stage. Since components of a binary star form at the same time something weird must be going on here.

Real Life Analogue: Algol

M-Kel

This is a triple system of three white dwarfs all orbiting the same barycenter in a figure 8 orbit. M-Kel A, M-Kel B and M-Kel C are stars with the same mass as the Sun but the same radius as Kerbin.

Real Life Analogue: None found yet

Developers

Credits

License

88x31.png

Edited by Sigma88

The problem is that Time in KSP is not infinite, once you go past ~2.5e9 seconds things start to break, you see negative numbers in the time clock of the tracking station and weird stuff like that. And also at maximun warp speed (using better time warp) the ship was barely moving.... so basically some FTL travel will be needed.

Well I hope to be able to implement continuous acceleration in KSPI for the magnetic nozzle engine and Vista Fusion Engine. It will allow these High ISP engines for continuous accelerating under Time Warp. This in theory should allow engines to reach about 8% of light speed. It means you can get to a destination much faster than just drifting to a star on minimum Delta V speed (15k delta V). I'm creating it specifically for long range travel to stars in the galactic neighborhood. Basically you aim to the correct direction, configure desired maximum speed and activate continuous acceleration and start time acceleration. Similar to how solar sail function, it will accelerate you to very high speeds. Half way, you need to turn around and start decelerating otherwise you will shoot past the start with no hope of reentry. It will be the most realistic alternative to Warp Travel available. Notice the magnetic nozzle technology is also available early in KSPI (2 x 1000 science), allowing you to reach the distant stars long before warp travel is invented (10000 science + all preconditions). This should allow you to create a vessel capable or reaching a distant star within a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Each star system will have 2e14 meters SoI, and there will not be overlaps, so the minimum distance is 4e14.

For my understanding, what is the radius of the outer planets (the furthest planet)?

- - - Updated - - -

I think that fusing the two mods will not be that easy, maybe after I've set up everything else I could take a look at it, but it's not on my todo list for now :)

Well I don't think you want to fuse them but you could start to make them look more alike by added additional more distand stars. Especially after KSP 1.1 64 bit becomes stable, you are no longer limited by memory constrains and add more stars with planets and moons

Edited by FreeThinker

For my understanding, what is the radius of the outer planets (the furthest planet)?

I meant 2e12 meters, not 2e14 sorry (got confused there :D)

2e12 meters are roughly 4x Plock's SMA (OPM)

Well I don't think you want to fuse them but you could start to make them look more alike by added additional more distand stars. Especially after KSP 1.1 64 bit becomes stable, you are no longer limited by memory constrains and add more stars with planets and moons

yeah, I can look at that once every core feature of this is done.

It's always nice to make mods compatible with each other

but at the moment KG breaks the science archives, while my mod doesn't. but I think I can manage to fix that issue on KG when the time will come

Edited by Sigma88

Well I hope to be able to implement continuous acceleration in KSPI for the magnetic nozzle engine and Vista Fusion Engine. It will allow these High ISP engines for continuous to accelerate under Time Warp. This in theory should allow engines to reach about 8% of light speed. This means you can get to a destination much faster than just drifting to a star on minimum Delta V speed (15k delta V). I creating it specifically for long range travel to stars in the galactic neighborhood. Basically you aim to the correct direction, configure desired maximum speed and activate continuous acceleration and start time acceleration. Similar to how solar sail function, it will accelerate you to very high speeds. Half way, you need to turn around and start decelerating otherwise you will shoot past the start with no hope of reentry. It will be the most realistic alternative to Warp Travel available. Notice the magnetic nozzle technology is available early in KSPI (2 x 1000 science), allowing you to reach the distant stars long before warp travel is invented (10000 science + all preconditions).

Similar to Solar Sail navigator? No need to reinvent the wheel, provided you need the same thing.

Similar to Solar Sail navigator? No need to reinvent the wheel, provided you need the same thing.

Yes I hope to integrate it with Solar Sail Navigator, allowing you to plot a course to a star in the galactic neighborhood.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant 2e12 meters, not 2e14 sorry (got confused there :D)

2e12 meters are roughly 4x Plock's SMA (OPM)

4 times as big? why not make it half of that (1e12), it would allow you to put the stars nearer to each other, reducing travel time. For a KSP galaxy this seems appropriate.

Alternatively, you could give support for the Double planet mod (K2) mod, which double all planets sizes and their orbit. It could be applied to Galaxtic Neightbourhoud and still fit inside thr 2e12 SOI. This mod is one of my favorites as it does not break game-play as the much bigger resizing mods (like 6.4x or 10x scale)

Edited by FreeThinker

Oh, if possible you defiantly should try to integrate Reseach Bodies, or an improved version into Galactic neighborhood. It would be nice if don't know the location of moons in distant stars. You would first need to send an exploration vessel to to plot them. Only planets should be visible from Kerbin. all smaller object should be a surprise.

Oh, if possible you defiantly should try to integrate Reseach Bodies, or an improved version into Galactic neighborhood. It would be nice if don't know the location of moons in distant stars. You would first need to send an exploration vessel to to plot them. Only planets should be visible from Kerbin. all smaller object should be a surprise.

this is a great idea.

after all the preliminary work is done we can look into this too.

Personally I think that only big planets or far-away-from-star onesshould be visible, and even then some of them need to be discovered.

Well initially, all planets should be hidden, eventually, with unlocked tech and invest they should become visible, it's just that moons around planet around distance stars are the hardest and should only be unlocked after warp travel is made available

Well initially, all planets should be hidden, eventually, with unlocked tech and invest they should become visible, it's just that moons around planet around distance stars are the hardest and should only be unlocked after warp travel is made available

I think Jool and some of it's moons could be visible at the start of the game, after all Galileo found the 4 major Jupiter moons way before rockets :D

I think Jool and some of it's moons could be visible at the start of the game, after all Galileo found the 4 major Jupiter moons way before rockets :D
They should have all planets in the Kerbol system visible except Dres, Eeloo, Gilly, Pol, and Bop.

It's a really nice approach, having all the stars close together in wide orbits around a galactic centre. Presumably by ensuring the orbital periods are similar the stars will stay close together over relevant timescales. I'll probably look into it a bit more myself and see how the travel times would compare with my own concept for a similar goal.

As for how to handle different planet packs, I'm not sure cloning the stock planets is ideal, it would feel a bit odd for me. Many planet packs will stand quite well on their own, others could be grouped together, and still others might remain in the stock system. To give specifics for some planets packs I know:

Outer Planets Mod and Trans-Keptunian - I would pair these together around their own star. Said system would have a scarcity of inner planets, but that itself adds some interest.

New Horizons - I think this would stand rather well by itself, minus the stock planets, since it has a lot of additional planets and moons of its own. A few moons would be left parentless, they could be either promoted to planets or relocated.

Alternis Kerbol Reloaded - I would leave this to rearrange the Kerbol system, since it focusses on rearranging it and doesn't add many new bodies like New Horizons does. It does overhaul some of the stock bodies, so perhaps their original stock versions could be relocated to another system such as the OPM+Trans Kep one.

Asclepius - Keep it as an addition in the Kerbol system.

Kerbol Plus - Could be tricky, since it has a lot of extra moons for stock planets. If it stays in the Kerbol system you'll want a custom config to combine it with Alternis when both are installed. If it's made its own system you need to decide what to do with the planetless moons.

Any planet pack that includes stars - Simple enough, give the stars new positions complete with their retinues of planets.

Real Solar System - Including the real Sun and planets as another star the player can visit would be cool. Something like Venus or even Earth would make a serious end-game challenge for the Kerbals. The needed solar SOI may be tricky though.

Yes, but the outer planets should defiantly be hidden

yeah of course, only those that can be seen with the naked eye should be available at the start of the game :D

just like on earth people already knew about mars, venus and saturn

- - - Updated - - -

It's a really nice approach, having all the stars close together in wide orbits around a galactic centre. Presumably by ensuring the orbital periods are similar the stars will stay close together over relevant timescales. I'll probably look into it a bit more myself and see how the travel times would compare with my own concept for a similar goal.

in Galactic Neighborhood all stars have more or less the same orbital period, KSP can handle time untill year ~230 or something like that

in that period of time the stars will not drift from their position by much, so you can consider them fixed

As for how to handle different planet packs, I'm not sure cloning the stock planets is ideal, it would feel a bit odd for me. Many planet packs will stand quite well on their own, others could be grouped together, and still others might remain in the stock system. To give specifics for some planets packs

I will contact the developers of each mod I want to add,

they will have a limited freedom of choice between:

- having stock clones or not

- which type of star

I will not mix different mods in the same system unless they were explicitly designed to be used together

also

I will not make any changes to the stock system itself, any change will be loaded onto a different system

these are core features of this mod, so the standard download will follow these rules. but it will be possible to adjust it to everyone's taste with few custom MM patches

Outer Planets Mod and Trans-Keptunian - I would pair these together around their own star. Said system would have a scarcity of inner planets, but that itself adds some interest.

I've already got the blessing from Capt on the version of the system with the stock clones, so I'll go with that.

That said, the configs will be written in a way that will allow the user to customize their install pretty easily:

you don't want stock clones? you can just go into GameData/GalacticNeighborhood/PlanetSystems/OPMSystem/Configs

and delete "OPM_StockClones.cfg"

merging two systems will be very easy as well:

just use a mm config like this

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
@Body,*
{
@Orbit:HAS[#referenceBody[[B][COLOR=#ff0000]old_STAR[/COLOR][/B]]]
{
@referenceBody = [B][COLOR=#008000]new_STAR[/COLOR][/B]
}
}
}

so there will be a lot of room for everyone's taste :)

Real Solar System - Including the real Sun and planets as another star the player can visit would be cool. Something like Venus or even Earth would make a serious end-game challenge for the Kerbals. The needed solar SOI may be tricky though.

RSS cfgs sadly are not written in a way that allow easy integration but I could probably work around that.

the biggest problem is that RSS would require different parts (engines, tanks etc) so it would either be too easy on the stock-alike planets or too difficult on the Real size ones.

that said, I have half an idea of recreating a system that looks like RSS but with KSP sizes. and that will fit in nicely with the other systems, it will get it's star called "Sol", the 8 planets plus some well known rock here and there

Edited by Sigma88

As for how to handle different planet packs, I'm not sure cloning the stock planets is ideal, it would feel a bit odd for me. Many planet packs will stand quite well on their own, others could be grouped together, and still others might remain in the stock system. To give specifics for some planets packs I know:

New Horizons - I think this would stand rather well by itself, minus the stock planets, since it has a lot of additional planets and moons of its own. A few moons would be left parentless, they could be either promoted to planets or relocated.

Alternis Kerbol Reloaded - I would leave this to rearrange the Kerbol system, since it focusses on rearranging it and doesn't add many new bodies like New Horizons does. It does overhaul some of the stock bodies, so perhaps their original stock versions could be relocated to another system such as the OPM+Trans Kep one.

Asclepius - Keep it as an addition in the Kerbol system.

Kerbol Plus - Could be tricky, since it has a lot of extra moons for stock planets. If it stays in the Kerbol system you'll want a custom config to combine it with Alternis when both are installed. If it's made its own system you need to decide what to do with the planetless moons.

Any planet pack that includes stars - Simple enough, give the stars new positions complete with their retinues of planets.

Uhh I would keep OPM and TK in the stock Kerbol system and move the bigger K+ planets to another star.

Hey Guys!

Thanks for including Asclepius in your pack! :D

By default it is made to be an easy to get to place, so leaving it as a part of the Kerbol would be fine by me. It would also make good "Inner planet" for the outer planets system. I also wrote a .cfg for New Horizons compatibility, and it could replace laythe so it doesn't have to get used twice.

So those are my suggestions, and I can't decide. So here is

A Straw Poll

Is there any specific idea when the first planet pack would be ready for release? Because this mod looks like a lot of fun, and there's something oddly satisfying about completing interstellar missions. Also, any chance this will be compatible with kerbal galaxy 2?

Is there any specific idea when the first planet pack would be ready for release? Because this mod looks like a lot of fun, and there's something oddly satisfying about completing interstellar missions. Also, any chance this will be compatible with kerbal galaxy 2?

the first trial version of the OPM system is ready but I don't have an ETA on a release yet :)

but I think in the next few days there will be some news, and maybe I'll put up a link to the dev.version me and killashley are using

Also, any chance this will be compatible with kerbal galaxy 2?

not in the near future. :) maybe one day, when all the hard stuff will be done, but it's not a promise.

it's still early to know how the final version of the mod will be, and it may turn out that compatibility is not possible for some reason or another.

also, KG2 breaks the science archives while this mod doesn't ;) and I kinda like the science archives :D

the first trial version of the OPM system is ready but I don't have an ETA on a release yet :)

but I think in the next few days there will be some news, and maybe I'll put up a link to the dev.version me and killashley are using

not in the near future. :) maybe one day, when all the hard stuff will be done, but it's not a promise.

it's still early to know how the final version of the mod will be, and it may turn out that compatibility is not possible for some reason or another.

also, KG2 breaks the science archives while this mod doesn't ;) and I kinda like the science archives :D

How does KG2 break the science archives?

And it should be pretty easy to get compatibility, just make your Kerbol moving script :FINAL and make patches to move some stars around and delete his Kerbol editing/dupe scripts.

I would need to look up how to do that, maybe changing the skybox with texture replacer?

Perhaps this is useful

- - - Updated - - -

there are many many MANY planet mods :)

and this mod is still an alpha which is not even ready to host those mods yet :D

with time and patience I will try to add as much as possible ;)

I had never heard of that, looks nice.

Well this forum has a nasty habit of swallowing good mods without any possibility to recover their part. I have already found several mods that contained very interesting parts only to end in dead hosting links :(

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.