Sigma88

Galactic Neighborhood

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Errol said:

Do any of the included extra star systems have any planetary bodies to visit? Or do you need to usr extra plane packs for that?

The GN star systems don't have any planets for now. I may add some small rocky planet to give a place from which taking cool screenshots of the stars.

Basically any planet I add should never steal attention from the stars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sigma88 said:

The GN star systems don't have any planets for now. I may add some small rocky planet to give a place from which taking cool screenshots of the stars.

Basically any planet I add should never steal attention from the stars

Sounds interesting. It'll give at least something to do without extra planet packs other than figure out why you keep switching SOI every two seconds in K-Stor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

Sounds interesting. It'll give at least something to do without extra planet packs other than figure out why you keep switching SOI every two seconds in K-Stor.

Hehe, k-stor is a bit crowded yes :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found two planet packs that would make really awesome addons for Galactic Neighborhood.

Tell me what you think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@iliketrains0pwned I have already contacted the dev of those mods, he is ok with me adding them to GN

he told me a little about his future plans and I'm not sure I can get the mod to fit nicely into the GN, so I decided to wait that the mods get a little closer to what andrew has in mind for their final state.

basically, the RSS version will have a lot of stars, and I would rather keep each mod in a single star system to not give too much space to a certain mod.

this doesn't mean I will not add these mods to GN, if I can get the stars to fit nicely in a multiple system then I see no problems in having them in GN.

the result needs to be good tho, that's why I'm not promising anything, I am not sure I can get it to feel believable

 

thanks for the suggestion, and keep them coming, I'm always interested in finding new planet packs to add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2016 at 0:18 PM, Sigma88 said:

@iliketrains0pwned I have already contacted the dev of those mods, he is ok with me adding them to GN

he told me a little about his future plans and I'm not sure I can get the mod to fit nicely into the GN, so I decided to wait that the mods get a little closer to what andrew has in mind for their final state.

basically, the RSS version will have a lot of stars, and I would rather keep each mod in a single star system to not give too much space to a certain mod.

this doesn't mean I will not add these mods to GN, if I can get the stars to fit nicely in a multiple system then I see no problems in having them in GN.

the result needs to be good tho, that's why I'm not promising anything, I am not sure I can get it to feel believable

 

thanks for the suggestion, and keep them coming, I'm always interested in finding new planet packs to add

@Sigma88 No problem, I'm glad that you're thinking about it already.

But on the topic of adding stars, I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I was talking with someone that was working on a patch for the ESLD drive mod, and he was thinking about making a part that would conserve fuel for interstellar jumps. However, it's supposed to only work if the jump is between two stars' spheres of influence. Do you know what file or config specifcally defines an object as a star in the game?

Here's the mod...

 

Edited by iliketrains0pwned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello there, 

I am looking forward to the release of this for 1.1! Great work on what I have seen so far - I've been lurking in this thread for afew months now. 

 

I'm also glad someone is taking the time to possibly patch ESLD. I do not wish to advertise here but I have been developing a 'procedural wormhole' mod of my own for a while now (almost ready for Dev release) after an earlier suggestion in this thread, although not as realistic as ESLD it will hopefully fill the gap of 'wormholes/stargates' and 'jump/warp drives'.

Whitecat106 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did some testing, and Galactic Neighborhood is incompatible with Saru Planet Pack, which I was planning to use in my *ahem* UPCOMING MODPACK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cy4n said:

Just did some testing, and Galactic Neighborhood is incompatible with Saru Planet Pack, which I was planning to use in my *ahem* UPCOMING MODPACK.

The current release is not updated to 1.0.5 :)

Took me a while to get back modding GN, now I am almost done with all the upgrades so I will release the 1.0.5 version very soon

Better late than never, yeah? :D

 

You should already be able to load saru on the development version of gn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

The current release is not updated to 1.0.5 :)

Took me a while to get back modding GN, now I am almost done with all the upgrades so I will release the 1.0.5 version very soon

Better late than never, yeah? :D

 

You should already be able to load saru on the development version of gn

So excited for the 1.0.5 version of Galactic Neighborhood! (Which is essential for my *ahem* UPCOMING MODPACK!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cy4n said:

So excited for the 1.0.5 version of Galactic Neighborhood! (Which is essential for my *ahem* UPCOMING MODPACK!)

yeah, I'm sorry for releasing the 1.0.5 compatible GN version so close to the 1.1 release, but I don't think many of the planet packs will be updated to 1.1 so I think some ppl may still want to have the option of playing GN on 1.0.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

yeah, I'm sorry for releasing the 1.0.5 compatible GN version so close to the 1.1 release, but I don't think many of the planet packs will be updated to 1.1 so I think some ppl may still want to have the option of playing GN on 1.0.5

It's okay, we still love you.  Plus, Arkas and Civilian Populations haven't been updated to 1.0.5 yet, either, which makes me sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lord Coriolis said:

It's okay, we still love you.  Plus, Arkas and Civilian Populations haven't been updated to 1.0.5 yet, either, which makes me sad.

I think arkas should work fine in 1.0.5, doesn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

I think arkas should work fine in 1.0.5, doesn't it?

The White Guardian is updating it to 1.0.5, but he hasn't released the new build yet.  Ditto for Rabidninjawombat with Civilian Population.  I'm guessing that whole 'real life' thing keeps getting in the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lord Coriolis said:

The White Guardian is updating it to 1.0.5, but he hasn't released the new build yet.  Ditto for Rabidninjawombat with Civilian Population.  I'm guessing that whole 'real life' thing keeps getting in the way.

I just checked and the old version works just fine, it can use a couple of tweaks but the mod is far from unplayable in 1.0.5

the worst thing is the fade levels, but you can fix it by just deleting :


            fadeStart = 110000
            fadeEnd = 140000

 

from ScaledVersion node

 

and the pqsfadeStart / pqsfadeend   from the PQS node

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

I just checked and the old version works just fine, it can use a couple of tweaks but the mod is far from unplayable in 1.0.5

the worst thing is the fade levels, but you can fix it by just deleting :


            fadeStart = 110000
            fadeEnd = 140000

 

from ScaledVersion node

 

and the pqsfadeStart / pqsfadeend   from the PQS node

In that case, good sir, I'm going to have to ask you to hurry up with GN.  You see, the spice must flow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lord Coriolis said:

In that case, good sir, I'm going to have to ask you to hurry up with GN.  You see, the spice must flow.

You should be fine using the development branch, it's ready for release, I just haven't got the time to do it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

You should be fine using the development branch, it's ready for release, I just haven't got the time to do it :)

Alright, I'll see if I can do anything with the solar panels, as well.  Do you have any engine mod recommendations to cut down that travel time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lord Coriolis said:

Alright, I'll see if I can do anything with the solar panels, as well.  Do you have any engine mod recommendations to cut down that travel time?

I haven't tested any of those honestly

The only ones I know are nearfuture, interstellar and all the various alcubierre variations

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just the mod I've been looking for! :D I can't wait to use it in my 1.0.5 file.

A question: Is there a way to pick and choose what planet packs go in their own star system and which ones stay at Kerbol?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, yorshee said:

This is just the mod I've been looking for! :D I can't wait to use it in my 1.0.5 file.

A question: Is there a way to pick and choose what planet packs go in their own star system and which ones stay at Kerbol?

the way would be to go into the cfgs of the mod (GN, not the planet pack) and change the name of the referenceBody to "StockSun"

basically it's not impossible, but it's not a feature that comes standard with GN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

Finally the release is here :)

Galactic Neighborhood v0.1.0

 

-IMPORTANT-

this release requires:

KSP 1.0.5
Kopernicus version 0.6.3 [forum thread]
ModuleManager version 2.6.20 [direct download] [forum thread]

HOORAY!!!! IT'S FINALLY HERE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sigma,

I play with Remote Tech on most of my builds, but the distances involved in Galaxies makes that a little laffable.

Have you given thought to adding something like the Ansible in Enders game, or a Quatum Pair duality relay allowing for instant comm jumps between stars. Transmitters not relying on standard speed of light waves at least for the bigger jumps of interstellar communications.

 

Alacrity

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, alacrity said:

Sigma,

I play with Remote Tech on most of my builds, but the distances involved in Galaxies makes that a little laffable.

Have you given thought to adding something like the Ansible in Enders game, or a Quatum Pair duality relay allowing for instant comm jumps between stars. Transmitters not relying on standard speed of light waves at least for the bigger jumps of interstellar communications.

 

Alacrity

 

I believe that it wouldn't matter anyway because the stars are light years away from each other.

@Sigma88 If I wanted WIP support for LSS (my planet pack) should I temporarily use my own cfgs or should you include them in GN?

Because editing doesn't seem to work, @alacrity forget what I said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.