Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

8 minutes ago, Damienjcb said:

Solar panels do not work in 1.1
Great mod! Thank you for your hard work.

solar panels do not work in GN (sadly) by design.

there is a bug in kopernicus which makes your craft explode when you switch stars, and that bug can be resolved by turning off the energy output of the stars

sadly, this means no solar panels. I am working to find an alternative (adding a flat Ec/s generation to solarpanels, so you can at least use the aestetics of them)

2 minutes ago, Damienjcb said:

Sounds like a usable solution. I hate to ask, but any idea when such a solution will be implemented?

I already have a working cfg but I don't like it so I am waiting to see if I can come up with something better, but if you want I can PM it to you and you can start using that in the meantime

I have no ETA on any update because 1.1 did change a number of things that I need to doublecheck, and that might take a while.

(plus I had some IRL stuff to sort out in the last few days)

Galactic Neighborhood v0.2.0

Is now available! (Download links in the OP)

Changelog:

v0.2.0

- Updated for KSP 1.1 compatibility
- Removed all plugins, those features have been included into kopernicus
- Added Ec generation to Solar Panels

If you want to follow the development of my mods: Sigma88Mods&style=social

If you want to buy me a cup of coffee:  iSFDI5f.png r8916yD.png

Edited by Sigma88

23 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Congratulations! How did you manage Ec Generation? I want to know because KSPI uses solar panels to generate power, and I wish to be fully compatible with GN

Erm, it's a very ugly fix :)

I made them RTGs basically

(Ec/s produced is equal to half the Ec/s production of the solarpanel while 100% illumimated and in orbit around kerbin)

49 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Erm, it's a very ugly fix :)

I made them RTGs basically

(Ec/s produced is equal to half the Ec/s production of the solarpanel while 100% illumimated and in orbit around kerbin)

How do you check if a panel is 100% illuminated and around Kerbin ? Or do you simply pretend it is?

I think we can do a better job.

I will try to make a mini mod which initially calculates distance to the sun and if possible verify it isn't blocked by a planet or moon and then generate power as if it is fully lit when it has sun tracking and 50% if it isn't

Edited by FreeThinker

16 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

How do you check if a panel is 100% illuminated and around Kerbin ? Or do you simply pretend it is?

I think we can do a better job.

I will try to make a mini mod which initially calculates distance to the sun and if possible verify it isn't blocked by a planet or moon and then generate power as if it is fully lit when it has sun tracking and 50% if it isn't

I don't check for anything :)

Every solar panel has a parameter that defines how much Ec they generate while fully illuminated and at the same distance of kerbin from the sun.

I took that value, divided by 2, and added it as a flat Ec production.

It was supposed to be just a temporary workaround to wait for the fix of the kopernicus bug that forces me to do this :)

But if you come up with anything good feel free to post about it here :wink:

42 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I don't check for anything :)

Every solar panel has a parameter that defines how much Ec they generate while fully illuminated and at the same distance of kerbin from the sun.

I took that value, divided by 2, and added it as a flat Ec production.

It was supposed to be just a temporary workaround to wait for the fix of the kopernicus bug that forces me to do this :)

But if you come up with anything good feel free to post about it here :wink:

Oh, so it is a planned feature for kopernicus ?

6 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Oh, so it is a planned feature for kopernicus ?

kopernicus already allows for Ec generation from different stars, but there is a bug that occurs when reparenting kerbin, the calculation of the power output of the star goes wrong at some point and ships explode from overheating.

for this reason in GN I have to disable the power output of the stars, and as a consequence, added the RTG module to solar panels to at least make them usable.. It's still not a solution I'm happy with, but my free time is limited :D

Edited by Sigma88

10 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

kopernicus already allows for Ec generation from different stars, but there is a bug that occurs when reparenting kerbin, the calculation of the power output of the star goes wrong at some point and ships explode from overheating.

for this reason in GN I have to disable the power output of the stars, and as a consequence, added the RTG module to solar panels to at least make them usable.. It's still not a solution I'm happy with, but my free time is limited :D

Well I did a little reverse engineering and it seems to me that you can at least fix solar panels by configuring the  sunTransform and PowerCurve

var kerbol = FlightGlobals.Bodies.First(m => m.name == "Kerbol").transform;
var kerbin = FlightGlobals.Bodies.First(m => m.name == "Kerbin").transform;

solarPanel.sunTransform = kerbol.transform;

double inv_square_mult = Math.Pow(Vector3d.Distance(kerbin.transform.position, kerbol.transform.position), 2) / Math.Pow(Vector3d.Distance(vessel.transform.position, kerbol.transform.position), 2);
FloatCurve satcurve = new FloatCurve();
satcurve.Add(0.0f, (float)inv_square_mult);
solarPanel.powerCurve = satcurve;

Edited by FreeThinker

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

Well I did a little reverse engineering and it seems to be that you can fix the solar panels by configuring the  sunTransform and PowerCurve

var kerbol = solarPanel.sunTransform = FlightGlobals.Bodies.First(m => m.name == "Kerbol").transform;
var kerbin = solarPanel.sunTransform = FlightGlobals.Bodies.First(m => m.name == "Kerbin").transform;

solarPanel.sunTransform = kerbol.transform;

double inv_square_mult = Math.Pow(Vector3d.Distance(kerbin.transform.position, kerbol.transform.position), 2) / Math.Pow(Vector3d.Distance(vessel.transform.position, kerbol.transform.position), 2);
FloatCurve satcurve = new FloatCurve();
satcurve.Add(0.0f, (float)inv_square_mult);
solarPanel.powerCurve = satcurve;

where did you find that "kerbol" lines? as far as I know the name "kerbol" never appears in KSP

Just now, Sigma88 said:

where did you find that "kerbol" lines? as far as I know the name "kerbol" never appears in KSP

The strings "Kerbin" and "Kerbal"are just place holders and  needs to be replaced by the name you have given it.

18 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

The strings "Kerbin" and "Kerbal"are just place holders and  needs to be replaced by the name you have given it.

well, I have no idea of what that does, my C# knowledge is very limited, but I will run that past @Thomas P., maybe he can actually use the info

1 hour ago, Daeridanii said:

If I may make a suggestion, I would love to see planets around some of the default GN stars. (Especially Algok!)

I've already considered this, I think the most likely addition I will make is some kind of collection of small rocks to give people a place where to land and take screenshots :)

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

I've already considered this, I think the most likely addition I will make is some kind of collection of small rocks to give people a place where to land and take screenshots :)

Haha yes!

Sigma, does the old Kopernicus solar panel blow up happen even without Galactic Neighborhood as the glue for all the new planetary systems?  For instance, if I just download a star plus it's own planet pack, and then meander over there from stock Kerbin.  It will be a while before I fly out of the solar system so I can't test.  Just curious.

11 minutes ago, jpinard said:

Haha yes!

Sigma, does the old Kopernicus solar panel blow up happen even without Galactic Neighborhood as the glue for all the new planetary systems?  For instance, if I just download a star plus it's own planet pack, and then meander over there from stock Kerbin.  It will be a while before I fly out of the solar system so I can't test.  Just curious.

it happens every time you have at least 2 stars AND reparent kerbin

1 minute ago, Sigma88 said:

it happens every time you have at least 2 stars AND reparent kerbin

Interesting.  So technically, as long as Kerbin went untouched, you could add lots of distant stars and it would be OK?  I wonder why Kerbin itself breaks it (if I'm understand that correctly).  You'd think that would function just like any other planet.

8 minutes ago, iliketrains0pwned said:

Do you have plans to make Kpol a trinary system like Polaris?

I considered it but discarded the idea.

planets (and stars as well) in KSP disappear after you zoom out a certain amount of meters.

usually when they disappear they are very little, so you don't notice this.

Kpol is so big that it disappears when it's still pretty big in the sky

thankfully the brightness effect of Kpol remains there even if the star disappears, but if I were to add something in orbit around Kpol you could get an eclipse (putting this body between the camera and Kpol) and the result would be that you see the star disappear

since that's not nice to see, I would either need to make Kpol way smaller, or to avoid putting stuff in orbit around it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.